What Happened to Multi-Player Mode in SuperTuxKart?

What Happened to Multi-Player Mode in SuperTuxKart?

Postby 2048Megabytes » 12 Jan 2011, 16:21

I just installed SuperTuxKart version 0.7. There are many great changes in the new version. But in SuperTuxKart Version 0.6.2a there was a multi-player mode. I would really enjoy playing that with another player on the computer at the same keyboard. Why was multi-player mode dropped for Version 0.7 of this great game? Is the only way you can do multi-player mode with two computers networked into eachother?
2048Megabytes

Re: What Happened to Multi-Player Mode in SuperTuxKart?

Postby Auria » 12 Jan 2011, 21:40

Hi,

the multiplayer mode is still there, just check the "Help" menu for instructions. Basically, when on the kart selection screen, everyone presses "fire" on their gamepad to join
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 2048Megabytes » 13 Jan 2011, 00:33

Thanks for the reply Auria. I figured out how to do a two player game in SuperTuxKart. Now if I could just figure out how to change the user names in the game. It will not let me change the names. The new game is twice as good as the old one I used to play.
2048Megabytes

Re:

Postby hiker » 13 Jan 2011, 03:09

Hi,
2048Megabytes {l Wrote}:Now if I could just figure out how to change the user names in the game. It will not let me change the names.

Go to Options, Players.

The new game is twice as good as the old one I used to play.

Glad that you like it :)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby madbad » 13 Jan 2011, 19:05

The new way multiplayer is handled is not really intuitive:
at first ive thinked too that the multiplayer support on the same pc was dropped.

Anyway great game and wonderful progress from 0.6
madbad

Postby Tuxfan » 13 Jan 2011, 19:41

It would be helpful to add a message in the kart selection menu that states "press fire to join in" - or something similar. I also needed several attempts to figure out how to add further players.
But on the other hand, it is quite convenient, if you got used to it. You do not have to access and extra menu option.
Tuxfan

Postby Auria » 13 Jan 2011, 19:52

madbad {l Wrote}:The new way multiplayer is handled is not really intuitive:
at first ive thinked too that the multiplayer support on the same pc was dropped.

Anyway great game and wonderful progress from 0.6

The main reason is that we are now more flexible than in 0.6. In 0.6, if player 1 was configured with gamepad, then the only way to play with keyboard was to reconfigure player 1 to use keyboard. This is quite uncool, the advantage of the new way is that you choose your input device
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Arthur » 13 Jan 2011, 21:54

Tuxfan {l Wrote}:It would be helpful to add a message in the kart selection menu that states "press fire to join in" - or something similar.

There is already. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby hiker » 14 Jan 2011, 04:16

madbad {l Wrote}:The new way multiplayer is handled is not really intuitive:

Yes, while the new GUI is really nice, we might be missing someone to look at usability for novices. I have seen a forum post (in a German forum) just about how to use a gamepad, people thinking that gamepads only work with more than one player etc.

And there is indeed a message that you should press 'fire' now ... but somehow it all doesn't really work.

Any suggestions on how to improve this? Adding a 'single player race', 'split screen' icon at the main menu might partially help(?), but it doesn't really go with the design of the GUI.

Besides missing that message there is also the fact that you have to select 'race' with the device you want to use, you can't use a mouse/keyboard to select race, then use the gamepad (this at least would be solved with two icons (single/split-screen). But perhaps someone can come up with a better idea?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby 2048Megabytes » 18 Jan 2011, 20:20

My favorite race track so far in SuperTuxKart is "Crescent Crossing." The winds, curves and atmosphere make it a really sweet track. I know two shortcuts on the course so I can even beat all the racers on expert level.
2048Megabytes

Postby Crendgrim » 19 Jan 2011, 14:03

@2048Megabytes:
Yes, it's really a pity that this track has those shortcuts (and removing them would mean to create a whole new track, I fear). STK should be a racing game, not a winning game. :P
But on a unrelated side note, you're posting in the wrong thread. This one is about Multiplayer Mode, I think ;)

Crend
Crendgrim

More suggestions for Multi-Player Mode

Postby adelroth » 20 Jan 2011, 13:39

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and also have a few comments to the multiplayer mode.

Βut first congratulations to the new version of STK. I follow the game for quite a while and I must say it definitely improved a lot recently :D

Still, here some suggestions. I refer to the configuration two players with gamepads, grand prix, windows 7 and lcd tv via hdmi.

- In single player music and engine noise is fairly well balanced. But in two player mode the engine noise appears to double, making it very dominant. This is somewhat logical, since you get separate engine noises for both players, but I would prefer to automatically adjust the noise level down (without going to the preferences each time).
-Announcements like fastest lap or winner of the race are fine in single player mode. But in multiplayer mode they take up too much of the screen and it is hard to see anything for a few seconds. It is almost like having a plunger in the face. Suggest to use a smaller font.
-Players have different levels of skill. You can adjust the AIs to your skill level by choosing beginner, intermediate, expert. But it would also be nice if you could individually set a handicap for players to adjust their skill level among each other. This could for example simply be done through a reduction in top speed of the kart (lets say in steps of 2%).
-When you play a grand prix and are in the lead in the overall standings you start in the first row. This is quite an advantage especially if you manage the jump start and this often creates serial winners. I would instead propose to start in the reverse order of the overall standings, making it necessary for the best players/AIs to work their way through the field.

Now some suggestions independent to two player mode:
-Most tracks are well balanced (e.g. Hacienda, Lighthouse, Scotland). But some are in my opinion much too easy and we always win against the AIs. Examples are Amazon, Canyon, Crescent Crossing, Pharaohs Treasure. The reason is that the AIs use a non ideal driveline (esp. in the curves) and make no good use of shortcuts and nitro. Would be nice if the drivelines could be tweaked a bit.
-Amazon is btw. also a bit boring and should be improved. For example a crossing of the two alternative routes? Jumps? Fog? Driving through an empty tree trunk?
-On the other hand a few tracks are much to difficult and we come last most of the time. Examples are The Mine and XR541. Here the issue is that the road is hard to recognise and it is too easy to get stuck somewhere. Maybe improve visibility of the road and reduce the number of sharp bends.
-Hacienda and The Farm as well as Snowtuxpeak and Snow Mountain are a bit redundant in my opinion and I would get rid of one (my vote would be too keep Hacienda and Snowtuxpeak). Instead integrate maybe Art museum and city if possible.
-Is it possible to give AIs a bit more individual character through designated or preferred drivelines? Wilber could for example be a bit crazy and swerve a lot. Hexley is a cheater and often uses shortcuts. Mozilla is a bully and always drives right in the middle of the road, making him hard to pass.

I am not a programmer and these suggestions are of course from my personal point of view. I apologise if some of the points make no sense, my post is too long or in the wrong place and I understand if people have other opinions. Still I would be very happy if some of my suggestions could be considered.

Keep up the good work! Cheers.
adelroth

Re: More suggestions for Multi-Player Mode

Postby Auria » 20 Jan 2011, 18:48

Hi,

adelroth {l Wrote}:- In single player music and engine noise is fairly well balanced. But in two player mode the engine noise appears to double, making it very dominant. This is somewhat logical, since you get separate engine noises for both players, but I would prefer to automatically adjust the noise level down (without going to the preferences each time).

This is a known issue and we have a ticket for it, so this should be corrected at some point (soonish hopefully)

adelroth {l Wrote}:-Announcements like fastest lap or winner of the race are fine in single player mode. But in multiplayer mode they take up too much of the screen and it is hard to see anything for a few seconds. It is almost like having a plunger in the face. Suggest to use a smaller font.

Could you create a ticket for that at sourceforge?

adelroth {l Wrote}:-Players have different levels of skill. You can adjust the AIs to your skill level by choosing beginner, intermediate, expert. But it would also be nice if you could individually set a handicap for players to adjust their skill level among each other. This could for example simply be done through a reduction in top speed of the kart (lets say in steps of 2%).

handicaps would indeed be an interesting feature, though that would be non-trivial to code. Maybe you could submit a feature request ticket for that on sourceforge, though I don't except that one to be implemented quickly

adelroth {l Wrote}:-When you play a grand prix and are in the lead in the overall standings you start in the first row. This is quite an advantage especially if you manage the jump start and this often creates serial winners. I would instead propose to start in the reverse order of the overall standings, making it necessary for the best players/AIs to work their way through the field.

This has been endlessly debated ;) I don't really know, any other opinions from other people here?

adelroth {l Wrote}::
-Most tracks are well balanced (e.g. Hacienda, Lighthouse, Scotland). But some are in my opinion much too easy and we always win against the AIs. Examples are Amazon, Canyon, Crescent Crossing, Pharaohs Treasure. The reason is that the AIs use a non ideal driveline (esp. in the curves) and make no good use of shortcuts and nitro. Would be nice if the drivelines could be tweaked a bit.
-Amazon is btw. also a bit boring and should be improved. For example a crossing of the two alternative routes? Jumps? Fog? Driving through an empty tree trunk?

The jungle track is one of those we'd like redone, same for shifting sands. Regarding AI, it is also known that atm they do not try in any way to collect weapons or nitro, so yes this will limit how good AIs can get. Improving Ais is also on our TODO

adelroth {l Wrote}:-On the other hand a few tracks are much to difficult and we come last most of the time. Examples are The Mine and XR541. Here the issue is that the road is hard to recognise and it is too easy to get stuck somewhere. Maybe improve visibility of the road and reduce the number of sharp bends.

In which areas of XR591 did you had trouble seeing the road?
I may want to add that IMHO it's perfectly fine to have some hard tracks, we need some challenge ;) Yes, mine may require driving a bit slower at first

adelroth {l Wrote}:-Hacienda and The Farm as well as Snowtuxpeak and Snow Mountain are a bit redundant in my opinion and I would get rid of one (my vote would be too keep Hacienda and Snowtuxpeak). Instead integrate maybe Art museum and city if possible.

Art museum may not be integrated because of problematic license terms (basically it's illegal, it uses art made by other people without crediting them). City could be integrated when it's finished, atm the new city track is not finished.
Regarding redundant tracks, we just select among the best ones we have available. We are coders, not 3D modellers, so the set of track depends solely and entirely upon the amount and quality of the contibutions we receive

adelroth {l Wrote}:-Is it possible to give AIs a bit more individual character through designated or preferred drivelines? Wilber could for example be a bit crazy and swerve a lot. Hexley is a cheater and often uses shortcuts. Mozilla is a bully and always drives right in the middle of the road, making him hard to pass.

Maybe, but IMO that is really not a priority ;)
Auria
STK Moderator

Re: More suggestions for Multi-Player Mode

Postby asciimonster » 20 Jan 2011, 21:32

Auria {l Wrote}:
adelroth {l Wrote}:-On the other hand a few tracks are much to difficult and we come last most of the time. Examples are The Mine and XR541. Here the issue is that the road is hard to recognise and it is too easy to get stuck somewhere. Maybe improve visibility of the road and reduce the number of sharp bends.
In which areas of XR591 did you had trouble seeing the road?

Yes, in XR591 there are a lot of sharp climbing and falling turns where your view is obstructed because you are driving around an object. But that is why I like that track. It's a real challenge. :lol:

What needs to be improved in XR951 is the bumpiness. It makes turning nearly impossible. Two turns are the worst: The first left climbing out of the cave and the hairpin right after passing the first "laser road". Just give it a dab of nitro, and try to turn. Even with the sharp turn key pressed hard, the kart will go straight ahead in the barrier.
asciimonster

Postby adelroth » 21 Jan 2011, 00:06

Okay, I created tickets for the font size issue, handicap for players and (optional) starting in reverse order. I understand that people have very different interests. Maybe an option helps in that case.

I also understand that implementing a handicap is a major task. But when I play Grand Prix with my partner I always win and she gets very frustrated. I am afraid she does not want to play STK anymore :( .

I agree with asciimonster that changing some of the bends in XR591 would be an improvement. I would also suggest to have clearer colour differences between track and landscape at some points.

In the mine it happens often that we get stuck in the pillars when overtaking or driving through a bend. The track could be either made a bit wider or the pillars recessed into the walls?

Cheers
adelroth

Postby Auria » 21 Jan 2011, 00:37

Agreed, in XR591 bumpiness, and also sideways slope of the track, can be a problem, creating a ticket so we don't forget may help here

Okay, I created tickets for the font size issue, handicap for players and (optional) starting in reverse order. I understand that people have very different interests. Maybe an option helps in that case.

Thanks; we're very busy so I have no idea when we can look at it but at least we won't forget :)

In the mine it happens often that we get stuck in the pillars when overtaking or driving through a bend. The track could be either made a bit wider or the pillars recessed into the walls?

I think this is partially part of the challenge; but I also agree that we need to better handle collisions, so that you somehow bounce back instead of staying stuck. This is something we want in future versions
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby jixbix » 21 Jan 2011, 17:17

Hello !
I'm a french supertuxkart's fan.
I have search for my problem but didn't found anything about it.
I don't know how to create a new topic so be cool if i'm wrong in posting here... (and sorry for my language which isn't perfect).

In the configuration menu we can choose to add a keyboard configuration, but i don't know how to set differents configurations for gamepads.

In fact, I have 2 same gamepads and with other players we don't have the same preference for the gamepad configuration.
I don't know how to configure the two gamepad differently (which were possible int the previous version).

I hope you understood my problem and that you will know how to resolve it !!

Thanks a lot !

PS : I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 and my gamepads are Thrustmaster .

Good bye and have a nice end of day !

JB
jixbix

Postby qubodup » 21 Jan 2011, 18:04

@jixbix what's your stk version?

Does your joystick not show up in the controls options menu?

qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Auria » 22 Jan 2011, 01:39

Hi,

setting different configurations for 2 identical gamepads is not supported at this time, sorry
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby jixbix » 22 Jan 2011, 01:57

Thanks for your quickness !

I forgot to mension : STK 0.7 of course... (I installed it the 21 of december !)
Yes, my gamepad appears in the controls options menu, but if you try to connect several identical gamepads, you just see one of them in the list...
So the configuration of one of them force the same for all the others.

There are no conflicts during the play, but we are obliged to have all the same gamepad configuration.
Is there a way to change this ? In STK 6.2 a config was associated to one player.

Thank you for your attention and your patience !

JB
jixbix

Postby Auria » 22 Jan 2011, 03:43

No, in 0.7 there is currently no way to change this, sorry
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby jixbix » 22 Jan 2011, 16:20

Hi Auria !

Thanks for your response !
I had not seen your post while I were writting mine...
I'm sorry that we can't ! But well, it's like that.
I am currently finishing my studies in Computer Science, so when I will have more time for this, may be will I propose my services for the STK devT, and correct that !

See you !

JB
jixbix

Postby Auria » 22 Jan 2011, 17:29

Contributions always welcome :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 2048Megabytes » 26 Jan 2011, 19:43

I was reading the complaints about track XR591. I think the sharp turns and the bumpiness of the track XR591 are fine. My concern is the lack of road markers. At some points you have no clue where the track is. Arrow signs and markers along the track would help.

I found a bug in Star Track also. You can jump off the top of the track to the bottom and skip half of the track.

Overall version 0.7 is miles ahead of the last version of SuperTuxKart. It is a way better game now.
Last edited by 2048Megabytes on 26 Jan 2011, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
2048Megabytes

Postby KroArtem » 26 Jan 2011, 19:55

I thought Star Track bug was fixed :) May be it was done after 0.7 release? (then it is available in svn)
KroArtem