Multimonitor problem, kinda

Multimonitor problem, kinda

Postby grelu119 » 30 May 2018, 10:48

Hello there!

I have a little problem with SuperTuxKart and my multimonitor-setup. I use a 24" 1920x1200 monitor (primary) and a 19" 1280x1024 monitor (secondary). For some reason, I can only select screen resolutions for my secondary monitor (so everything up to 1280x1024) or fullscreen over both monitors, which looks kinda bad.

I am on Arch Linux 64bit, have a Radeon HD 7870 and I use Catalyst 14.4.

Well, okay, I can edit the config file to get for example 1920x1080, but I see this behaviour in many, many open-source games and in nearly no commercial game. The game itself, by default, sees the secondary monitor as a primary monitor or something like that. I just want to know, why is the way it is and why SuperTuxKart does not give me an option for screen resolutions, that would fit for the primary monitor.

Also, with having 2 screens side by side, why is there no option to split the multiplayer screen (2 player) vertically? Horizontally at 3200x1200 does not look good.

And a bonus question: Is this new Irrlicht/SuperTuxKart-thing alreade in svn? I mean the new engine with the new effects?
grelu119

Re: Multimonitor problem, kinda

Postby QwertyChouskie » 30 May 2018, 20:01

> Also, with having 2 screens side by side, why is there no option to split the multiplayer screen (2 player) vertically? Horizontally at 3200x1200 does not look good.

That's been fixed in the git version.

> And a bonus question: Is this new Irrlicht/SuperTuxKart-thing alreade in svn? I mean the new engine with the new effects?

You mean the switch to Irrlicht? That happened years ago with version 0.7 (2010): http://blog.supertuxkart.net/2010/12/su ... eased.html
Or maybe you meant the modern OpenGL3 engine (Antarctica)? That was released in 2015 with 0.9: http://blog.supertuxkart.net/2015/04/su ... eased.html
Or maybe you meant the switch to PBR (http://blog.supertuxkart.net/2018/04/ev ... shiny.html)? In that case, yes, it is in the git version (svn has only been for assets for years).

> have a Radeon HD 7870 and I use Catalyst 14.4.
Generally the drivers that come with Mesa are recommended as they are a lot newer/better/faster.
Not an official dev, but a huge fan of STK!
QwertyChouskie

Re: Multimonitor problem, kinda

Postby deve » 30 May 2018, 20:03

On linux it uses primary monitor by default. If there is no primary monitor, then it uses top left monitor. I suppose that your secondary monitor is used as primary monitor by your window manager. At least this is how it should work. You can change primary monitor before running STK with "xrandr --output HDMI-1 --primary" or something like this.

And atm. it's a "wontfix", because it would need more advanced GUI that would allow to choose monitor, resolution, maybe refresh rate too. And if so, it would need to be supported on windows and mac os too.
deve