Egg hunt gameplay

Egg hunt gameplay

Postby Wuzzy » 18 Jan 2018, 08:36

So. The egg hunt is kind of weird.

First, I recently learned by pure chance that for each egg hunt track, there are actually three (!) ways for the eggs to be arranged. It depends on the difficulty. And I thought for years (!) that 1 track = 1 egg hunt. Oh, how wrong was I!
Problem 1: The interface has no indication whatsoever that each track actually contains 3 egg hunts rather than just 1.
Solution: Maybe add a short note in the egg hunt track selection screen so that players don't miss the other egg hunts (like I did).

But now for the thing which bothered me ever since egg hunt has been added: You still have all the gift boxes, bananas and nitro stuff but it doesn't really make sense. Most items from gift boxes are just useless clutter in egg hunt (swatter, plunger, bowling ball, basket ball, …). The bananas are a distraction. I propose to remove all gifts and bananas. The players are ranked by time, so I think any randomness should be eliminated. The nitro bottles seem out of place here, too. But at least they're not random.
Problem 2: Gift boxes, bananas and nitro bottles all feel out of place here.
Solution: Remove all collectibles except the eggs.

Random and unimportant suggestions at the end:
- Instead of “Ready? Set! Go!”, write “Ready? Set! Find the eggs!” at the beginnng. :)
- Give each egg an unique color/texture for fun

Apart from all this, I think egg hunt is fine. It's a weird idea, but I still think it's cool. It's really the gift boxes which bother me the most. They are totally out of place.

Do you agree with my comments? What is your opinion on egg hunt?
Wuzzy

Re: Egg hunt gameplay

Postby Arthur » 21 Jan 2018, 16:14

1: they are different per difficulty because well, easy should be appropriate for rather young kids, while expert should be what a seasoned player like you would enjoy more because it would be noticeably more difficult.

2: yeah I agree that the other collectibles are more of a distraction here, at the very least the gift boxes since you can't use a weapon on anyone. Bananas and nitro bottles make it possible to strategize a bit - should you take the extra time to go out of your way for that nitro bottle, or should you just go straight to the next egg? And the bananas you'd want to avoid as usual to not lose time. I'd not mind if bananas and nitro got removed for this game mode as well, but at least there is a reason to keep them as well.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 22 Jan 2018, 01:20

Maybe gift boxes and bananas could be useful to speedrunners, though admitedly that's usually not something we think about when designing the game
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 27 Jan 2018, 21:33

We could argue whether to keep bananas and nitro. I prefer to remove them as well, but it's not a problem if you decide to keep them. But gift boxes definitely need to go, they just don't make any sense. You can't find eggs with bowling balls. ;)

1: they are different per difficulty because well, easy should be appropriate for rather young kids, while expert should be what a seasoned player like you would enjoy more because it would be noticeably more difficult.

And I think this is actually a very good idea. I just complained about the fact that the game doesn't tell you about the difference.

By the way, is there a difference between Expert level and SuperTux level in this game mode?
Wuzzy

Postby Auria » 28 Jan 2018, 00:07

no, supertux only increases the AI's racing abilities

as for removing gift boxes, this seems minor but why not, if anyone wants to submit a pull request on github that could be interesting
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 29 Jan 2018, 10:44

Auria {l Wrote}:as for removing gift boxes, this seems minor but why not, if anyone wants to submit a pull request on github that could be interesting

This mode was partly intended for children, as an easy and 'safe' environment to just explore a track. And from my experience kids like using powerups, even if there is nothing to hit (except themselves). So (unless someone shows that they are a problem for higher difficulties), please leave them in.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker