SuperTuxKart 0.9.3 released!

SuperTuxKart 0.9.3 released!

Postby Auria » 20 Nov 2017, 03:35

After months of work, we are proud to announce the final release for SuperTuxKart 0.9.3, the latest version of the kart racing game!

This new version brings in several new tracks, kart and features. Some of highlight include new tracks "Cornfield Crossing" a track set in a farm; "Candela City", a nighttime track in European city; and "Las dunas stadium", a new arena for battle mode. Most of those tracks have been part of previous gift packages, and as we have promised we are now making them available for everyone.

Another major news is that for the first time, SuperTuxKart is available on Android! You can find it in the google app store : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... uxkart.stk

Our karts have also been updated, including new graphical effects such as headlights and exhaust smoke. Several karts have also been updated : Wilber, Hexley and Konqi have been updated, and a new kart was added : Kiki, the mascot for Krita.

On top of that, the game has received countless bugfixes and improvements, including physics improvements and graphical optimisations that should help performance and load times.

For more information, make sure to check out blog post at http://blog.supertuxkart.net/2017/11/su ... eased.html
Auria
STK Moderator

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.9.3 released!

Postby Ludsky » 20 Nov 2017, 13:13

Congratulations ! :)
Ludsky

Postby flavio » 20 Nov 2017, 18:31

Awesome! :)
flavio

Postby mr_Spoon » 21 Nov 2017, 16:23

Yay! Thanks all! :D
mr_Spoon

Postby GunChleoc » 23 Nov 2017, 10:59

Congratulations on the release! :)

Since I don't have an Android device, a quick question: does it have a language selection menu, just like the desktop version? I'm asking because locales are still a problem on mobile devices even with our locale data at 100% coverage...
GunChleoc

Postby benau » 23 Nov 2017, 11:31

Yes, it has a language selection screen
benau
STK Moderator

Postby BBmine » 25 Nov 2017, 16:22

i like the new barnyard track!
BBmine

Postby Lyberta » 27 Nov 2017, 03:51

Are there plans to add Android version to F-Droid?
Lyberta

Postby deve » 27 Nov 2017, 09:08

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Are there plans to add Android version to F-Droid?

You can complain on F-Droid, maybe they will do something ;)
https://gitlab.com/fdroid/rfp/issues/98

There is already a file in the repo:
https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroiddata/bl ... rt.stk.txt

I'd like to help them to fix it, but I didn't receive any answer. At least newest SDK shouldn't be a problem anymore.

And anyway, you can always download the apk from sourceforge.
deve

Postby Lyberta » 28 Nov 2017, 02:44

After writing my post I realized that I would need proprietary GPU driver to play this game which I don't have on my Replicant device for obvious reasons. But I think there are people who use F-Droid with some proprietary drivers.
Lyberta

Postby AmyRollTheAnimator » 28 Nov 2017, 18:03

Nice! I can't wait to try it out!
AmyRollTheAnimator

Postby Wuzzy » 29 Nov 2017, 01:07

The trailer really pisses me off.
Nothing shown in the 0.9.3 release trailer is actually part of STK 0.9.3. *rolleyes*
Why are you doing this?

Anyway, rant mode off. Kinda.
First I was about to say that this update was really disappointing because of so few additions but then I noticed the devil lies in the details and it's not that small, actually. Your tiny changelog just makes it look small, there are many things you didn't even mention. ;)

3 tracks added, 1 track deleted (if I counted correctly). So a net total of +2 tracks. That's actually not too bad. But honestly, I would have expected more after 1.5 years. But hey, I'm not an artist, so what do I know?
The total number of tracks in STK is still too low IMO. STK is still lacking a lot of tracks. The deletion orgy which happens with each release is also not helping. ;)
Hopefully, track makers can add track faster than they get deleted, otherwise we'll have a problem. xD

Candela City is nice to look at but very short. This track definitely must be driven with at least 6 laps, otherwise it will be over before it even started. xD Then it's actually quite okay. I can't find anything wrong with this track, which means a lot.
The Cornfield Crossing is an instant classic. Much fun to drive on. THANK YOU for making it work in both directions (this has been ignored in past releases). The only thing I find strange about this track is the jump. Your kart moves completely in an impossible fashion, as if not jumping at all, like magic. What's also weird is that the jump never fails. You can aim for the completely wrong direction at the ramp and still make the jump perfetly. It's very weird.

I can almost understand why Bovine Barnyard had to go, although I still kinda miss it (you shouldn't be surprised!). Graphically, it simply isn't on par anymore. But there's no problem with the track itself. Good we have those add-ons. On the other hand, BB is not much worse than, let's say, Hacienda.

I like Las Dunas Arena a lot, it's a great arena and the first battle track which actually feels like an arena (becaus it is one!). xD. Very fun to play on.
I am very surprised you chose to not delete The Stadium. You have deleted tracks of much higher quality in the past. If you know me, I was almost always pissed off when an STK release deleted a track. But this is one of the very few tracks where I wouldn't shed a tear if it had been deleted. Note I don't mind that it's still there either, I'm just noting an inconsistency here.

I noticed that the real finish is now actually at the finish line. FINALLY! I have waited years for this; it was so annoying.

I hope the new “extra life” karts in 3-strikes battle will be improved in future versions because they seem to be very basic and only half-finished. They seem behave very weirdly. They appear out of nothing and disappear into nothing. There is no animation, no “3 seconds until I disappear” warning (flashing kart) or anything.
It's a very interesting and appreciated new mechanic nonetheless.
I wonder if it is now possible that a 3-strike battle can go on forever since you now can collect extra lives. It never happened in my games so far, however, but that's probably I almost always play at the highest difficulty. xD

The ghost kart feature looks interesting. It's nice to know you can now record ghost karts, but I doubt I will use it as often.

I *think* the kart physics have been improved but I might be wrong.

I don't like the Konqi, or better: That good old Konqi had to go! The AWESOME old Konqi had to go for … THIS? I don't mean the new Konqi is terrible (it's aqually quite cute) or so, but WTF? Good old Konqi had to go? I know, it's the new KDE mascot but I don't care. WTF were the KDE guys thinking? The old Konqi was absolutely awesome, especially in a kart! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old Konqi kart. It should have never been replaced. Looks like the only reason you deleted it is because of the KDE folks. I'm not even sure if add-ons are a valid excuse for removing an awesome kart. Konqi was one of the karts that really made STK into STK.

Kiki is a weird new character, but it's cute. I don't know much else to say. xD

Unsurprisingly, Story Mode has not really been touched. But surprisingly, Candela City has NOT been added to Story Mode. That's a huge disappointment. Is it really that hard in extending Story Mode? Story Mode as a whole is still disappointing because it is way too short and too weird. Note I was planning to write a full-blown STK review since ages, so maybe I'll write more about Story Mode. Now that a new release is out, I should probably finalize my review.

I noticed you made a few interface tweaks. There are new GUI themes! Nice. Nothing for me, since Peach was already my pick. xD
The kart selection menu has been degraded. It is worse now. I have no freaking clue what the stats mean. OK, the first one is obviously weight (although the icon looks like a handbag) but which bars are now acceleration and speed? I have no idea. Both icons would make sense for either accelleration and speed, so they are useless. IMO the text has to be re-added. A icon+text combination is probably the best.
The race finishing list looks a bit better now, but it still needs work. The most glaring omission is the lack of the ranking numbers in the list. If you have a GP with tons of karts, it's really annoying if you have to count your rank by hand.
The new GP finish animation is still meh. It's just a few people dancing? I don't know … The title still doesn't say my rank, only that I have “finished” the GP.

Overall, the update is good, but I do have mixed feelings. I'm not super excited by it. Especially since the new content lasted barely for 1 hour. This part is probably the main reason why I was initially disappointed. Waiting 1.5 years for 1 hour worth of content. I know, I'm being a dick here, but I'm describing my feelings.
Rationally, I know you also made a ton of under-the-hood improvements as well and worked on features I never care about (e.g. Android). So I can accept that you also did tasks that needed to be done.

Long stort: STK is becoming better! So thanks! :)
Wuzzy

Postby deve » 29 Nov 2017, 13:49

I think that you should spend more time working on Hedgewars rather than complaining, because I even don't wait for new release :P
deve

Postby Wuzzy » 29 Nov 2017, 19:42

Hmmm. Actually, I've concluded the update is good after all. It's just the changelog which is really terrible. xD
I think you're good developers after all, but you suck at marketing/communicating.

There is a ton of features which is not mentioned at all. I noticed them only now.

For example, the simple fact that now ALL TRACKS work in reverse! This is freaking awesome!
Not only that, all the arrows you see in the track point to the correct direction in reverse mode. Great!
These are huge improvements IMO. If I see correctly, this means that the reverse mode works properly.
I almost completely forgot that I posted about these things on GitHub …
These things alone change my opinion of the whole update a lot. NOW I'm quite happy about the update.

Please post other high-profile changes which didn't make it into the changelog here.

My unofficial changelog:
- All tracks work in reverse
- Arrows now go the correct way in reverse
- The real finish line matches the visible finish line (instead of being miles before in some tracks)
- Ghost mode added

PS: I'm still pissed off at the so-called 0.9.3 trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcgDUT4bwls). Can you please at least fix the video title, please? This video does not show any actual 0.9.3 content, so it's hardly a trailer for 0.9.3 … Did you maybe confuse two videos or something?
Wuzzy

Postby Tiger » 29 Nov 2017, 21:49

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:PS: I'm still pissed off at the so-called 0.9.3 trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcgDUT4bwls). Can you please at least fix the video title, please? This video does not show any actual 0.9.3 content, so it's hardly a trailer for 0.9.3 … Did you maybe confuse two videos or something?

But, "Pumpkin's park" (https://youtu.be/hcgDUT4bwls?t=4s) and "Alien Signal" arena (https://youtu.be/hcgDUT4bwls?t=56s) are part of an exclusive pack of STK 0.9.3. available for donators. I think I have seen "Cornfield Crossing" (a new release) and "Candela City" (now, turned part of the free game) in another video. I'm sure there was other video. Maybe they removed it for some reason.
Tiger

Postby deve » 29 Nov 2017, 23:36

Once again, regarding to waiting for a release... Is this just me, are we getting older, or maybe open source games became less attractive compared to commercial titles? Because I remember when we were saying "wow, they added a piano to Hedgewars". And now it's just a game. And tbh. last version when I was playing STK just for fun was 0.7.3.
deve

Postby Arthur » 30 Nov 2017, 00:52

deve {l Wrote}:Once again, regarding to waiting for a release... Is this just me, are we getting older, or maybe open source games became less attractive compared to commercial titles? Because I remember when we were saying "wow, they added a piano to Hedgewars". And now it's just a game. And tbh. last version when I was playing STK just for fun was 0.7.3.

Probably several of the above. The wider Linux gaming community has mostly moved on to GoG and Steam from what I can tell, and with thousands of games available FOSS games don't seem as interesting to many. But I think people should play STK because they like to do so, not just because there are almost no alternatives like it used to be.

I do get a bit annoyed by comments like this though: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/s ... post990623
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Wuzzy » 01 Dec 2017, 12:55

Tiger {l Wrote}:
Wuzzy {l Wrote}:PS: I'm still pissed off at the so-called 0.9.3 trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcgDUT4bwls). Can you please at least fix the video title, please? This video does not show any actual 0.9.3 content, so it's hardly a trailer for 0.9.3 … Did you maybe confuse two videos or something?

But, "Pumpkin's park" (https://youtu.be/hcgDUT4bwls?t=4s) and "Alien Signal" arena (https://youtu.be/hcgDUT4bwls?t=56s) are part of an exclusive pack of STK 0.9.3. available for donators. I think I have seen "Cornfield Crossing" (a new release) and "Candela City" (now, turned part of the free game) in another video. I'm sure there was other video. Maybe they removed it for some reason.

What you're talking about is a proprietary commercial add-on for STK 0.9.3, not STK 0.9.3 itself. This add-on is not part of the release.

But the video title clearly says it's the official trailer of STK 0.9.3, yet nothing shown in the trailer is part of the actual release. That's confusing as hell.
Ironically, the “trailer” does not even show any of the tracks which actually are new in this release.

Is it really that much to ask to just fix the (obviously false) video title and description?
Wuzzy

Postby sphyrth » 04 Dec 2017, 05:59

Thank you STK Team! But I agree with the Confusing Trailer

I don't know about other people, but I'm one of those who will stick to FOSS as long as they're still alive. So I hope that the STK team won't give up ever-improving on this project... especially with the drama/history behind it.

IMO Soccer/IceHockey and Arena Modes are quite underrated. They happen to be my favorite modes! I'm only waiting for the functional Networking, which makes it the icing on this cake. I think only STK has these mode compared to the likes of Mario Kart.

The tracks are slowly becoming alive, too. Karts reacting to whatever the Tracks give them was good, but when the Tracks get to react to whatever the Karts are driving/pushing/etc. that's a bonus! And I hope that this would improve as well.

Most of my critique will only be visual... as I can't really sense the personality of each Mascot. Sure the victory/lose animations are unique, but they also feel generic, and I don't know why.
sphyrth

Postby hiker » 07 Dec 2017, 05:46

Hi all,

thanks for the feedback - indeed the trailer was not labeled as precisely as it should have been, I've just renamed it.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Wuzzy » 07 Dec 2017, 10:11

Thank you.
Wuzzy