16/9 windowed with black background mode.

16/9 windowed with black background mode.

Postby Xzu » 20 Aug 2017, 15:31

On thing not particularly easy to do with PC games, is to play in windowed mode but with black background (black borders).
Of course we need of course black background for windowed mode, no? It's really better.
I've found some people asking for that but never answer. My workaround need dual-screen and a terminal to make the background of the played screen black. (!)

I also want to testify for STK specially, I really prefer "fluid" widowed mode with low rez and high detail (specially lights) than hi-rez full-screen with low detail!
I modify the .conf file to set a 16/9 windowed screen with 640x480 resolution. Yes! And it's the best!

So why don't make this option more easy for users? I'm thinking about a windowed 16/9 mode (because combined with low rez that really improve performance for really low (near "no") disagreement), with black background (on the default screen).
The game is very beautiful in low rez but hi details!

For curious:
Image Image

The window of the game is not so small because of low rez. And the 16/9 ratio is really comfortable for game. The things on the border of the game windows are just screen-shooter bugs, it's not displayed on the screen cause the window take all the screen width.
Xzu

Re: 16/9 windowed with black background mode.

Postby Arthur » 20 Aug 2017, 18:18

Xzu {l Wrote}:On thing not particularly easy to do with PC games, is to play in windowed mode but with black background (black borders).
Of course we need of course black background for windowed mode, no? It's really better.
I've found some people asking for that but never answer. My workaround need dual-screen and a terminal to make the background of the played screen black. (!)

You're the first one ever asking us for this feature. So I don't think this will get priority. Also the workaround seems easy enough - you could just set a black desktop background.
I also want to testify for STK specially, I really prefer "fluid" widowed mode with low rez and high detail (specially lights) than hi-rez full-screen with low detail!
I modify the .conf file to set a 16/9 windowed screen with 640x480 resolution. Yes! And it's the best!

So why don't make this option more easy for users? I'm thinking about a windowed 16/9 mode (because combined with low rez that really improve performance for really low (near "no") disagreement), with black background (on the default screen).
The game is very beautiful in low rez but hi details!

Again because you're the first one asking for this. Besides, 640x480 is not a supported resolution because it leads to layout issues in some of the menus.
The window of the game is not so small because of low rez. And the 16/9 ratio is really comfortable for game. The things on the border of the game windows are just screen-shooter bugs, it's not displayed on the screen cause the window take all the screen width.

The window is not small because of low resolution? What? Pretty sure the window size is determined by chosen resolution.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Xzu » 21 Aug 2017, 14:46

You're the first one ever asking us for this feature. So I don't think this will get priority.

I understand. But as I saw on internet I'm not the only one searching a solution for this (not specially for stk).
So a generic solution will be the best.

you could just set a black desktop background

Hmm, not really. Set a black desktop background and no icon (and other things) on your desktop, so in fact use your pc for just gaming... not really a solution.

I'm looking for something like this, but for GNU:https://sourceforge.net/projects/mrhyde/

I just found this, maybe not bad: https://www.yofla.com/black-screen/#

640x480 is not a supported resolution because it leads to layout issues in some of the menus

Yes. But the problem is just for the "grand prix" (so with simple race mode), their thumbnail are not reduced, so there is no more place to show the rest of the menu for standard race selection. It seem to be the only real problem. For example single race thumbnail are reduced and can be selected, all other modes are ok.

The window is not small because of low resolution? What? Pretty sure the window size is determined by chosen resolution.

Not in windowed mode! The prove is on my screen-shot.
The width of the stk window you see take all the width of a 1280x1024 DVI screen. Because I have set it in 640x480 before! Ho sorry I forgot to explain this in my first post: I modify the .conf file to set a 16/9 windowed screen-> so: 640x360, and then set 640x480 resolution for this screen before launching the game.
So not little screen.
Xzu

Postby onpon4 » 21 Aug 2017, 22:14

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
#!/usr/bin/env python

# Copyright (C) 2017 Julie Marchant <onpon4@riseup.net>
#
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

from __future__ import division
from __future__ import absolute_import
from __future__ import print_function
from __future__ import unicode_literals

import pygame

if __name__ == "__main__":
    pygame.init()
    window = pygame.display.set_mode()
    loop = True
    while loop:
        pygame.time.wait(1000)
        for event in pygame.event.get():