STK integration to Beam.pro interactive streaming service

Should STK be able to interact with outside players when being streamed interactively on Beam.pro

Poll ended at 22 Mar 2017, 14:09

Yes that would be great and a novelty in this age to make this game apart from the rest
14%
No (please provide reason why not)
86%
Maybe (explain)
No votes

Total votes : 7

STK integration to Beam.pro interactive streaming service

Postby mjminfo » 08 Mar 2017, 14:09

Hello everyone,
today I would like to talk to you about a feature that could bring alot of attention to STK, if STK would be able to interact with the interactive streaming service of Beam.pro.

Imagine you are playing STK with your friends at home and at the same time streaming your game at Beam.pro in an interactive mode, wouldn't be nice to give an opportunity to all your viewers to interact in your game while you are playing ?

Let's say to give the viewers the chance to make power ups or bananas appear in your game live while you are playing. It creates another difficulty in the game and makes it more interesting for all the viewers to be able to participate in the game.

Well it's possible to make the STK game interact with Beam.pro by coding a very basic interface, details here ( https://dev.beam.pro/reference/interactive/index.html )

there are already games who do that for example Minecraft ( where viewers can make appear power ups or downs in the game while the player is playing )
recording of such a stream: https://beam.pro/impulseSV?vod=1123961

It's a new form of free publicity for the game and it makes it more attractive to new players, as they can interact with the game by seeing others play and be able in a form to be part of that play.

I spoke with hiker on the IRC and he mention the idea interesting but with all that is going on now he has no time to code it, so is there someone with enough interest and knowledge to be able to code this piece of interface ?

what do you think ?
Game streaming at Beam.pro [ https://beam.pro/mjminfo ]
mjminfo

Re: STK integration to Beam.pro interactive streaming servic

Postby brmbrmcar » 08 Mar 2017, 17:12

Networked multiplayer isn't even done yet, what makes you think they'll do this? And is beam.pro proprietary? Mind you, I hate the way they are using Steam to make money from users who are only able to download and install from there for whatever reason. So they wouldn't care.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Ludsky » 08 Mar 2017, 21:30

Sorry, i have vote "No". For the moment, i think, wait Multiplayer, is more important. After, the more important are there improvments on somes tracks & karts....
Ludsky

Postby charlie » 09 Mar 2017, 10:52

This thread borders on being an advert. I'd not have approved it, personally.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby mjminfo » 09 Mar 2017, 14:19

charlie {l Wrote}:This thread borders on being an advert. I'd not have approved it, personally.

it's not because someone wants to see a feature added to the game that it has to be an advert., and not all streaming sites [Twitch,Yahoo, others] offer interactive mode, if they will do it in the future even better.

Remember that the most people who see the game, the better the game gets in free advertisement, and what better way for STK to get free advertisement than to be able to see someone play the game and be able to interact/participate in the course of that play. Better than just see a replay and not be able to contribute to the action in that game.

Wouldn't you like to be able to participate/play a game of STK where not only you have AI karts but where streamer viewers can participate in the game also by providing you with power ups(nitro) or power downs(bananas) or weapons (bowling balls/cupcakes) and more as the game is able to provide.

We already have Story mode, this would be an Interactive Internet mode if you can see it like that.

And it changes nothing to the game other than a minor Interactive Internet interface add-on.

You can see it as an additional joystick/player that is able to do 'x' during the course of the game without being a kart in the game. The functionality will be chosen by the possibilities that STK offers in Interactive Internet mode, only Hiker would be able to tell you exactly what STK is able to offer in this case, as he is the head programmer.

This Interactive Internet mode does not want to replace in any way the future network functionality of STK, on the contrary if offers a plus value to it.

hope this clears it up
mjminfo

Postby charlie » 09 Mar 2017, 14:24

You are combining fairy tales ("wouldn't it be great if features XYZ are in STK?") with promoting a commercial product. All your text here reads like a sales pitch for Beam.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby konstin » 12 Mar 2017, 23:44

Yep, it does read like an advertisement, especially as there's no technical to integrate STK with that tool as you can just grab the screen content as any other streaming does.
konstin

Postby mjminfo » 14 Mar 2017, 04:56

konstin {l Wrote}:Yep, it does read like an advertisement, especially as there's no technical to integrate STK with that tool as you can just grab the screen content as any other streaming does.

once again you have not read what I wrote about Interactive mode in the original post, and I'll let you know that there is more to come. A version 2 of it this month which will offer more options to integrate directly with more games. look at the following to learn a bit more about it [ https://blog.beam.pro/announcing-interactive-2/ ]

If it complies with the gpl in any form and a programmer/s are willing to do it, I don't see why not.

The team is looking to have more people to look at the game and to attract more developers, yet one if offered and 6 people are ready to kill it without looking into the details :(

says a lot about FOSS
mjminfo

Postby charlie » 14 Mar 2017, 10:42

mjminfo {l Wrote}:The team is looking to have more people to look at the game and to attract more developers, yet one if offered and 6 people are ready to kill it without looking into the details :(

says a lot about FOSS

Careful now. You are trolling. :twisted:

Kill it? Kill what? Nobody has provided any working code. You are not offering to do the coding.

I'd never heard of Beam before this post. Is it some massive popular platform like Twitch? How would Beam integration attract more developers? You are engaging in unfounded speculation seeking support for a feature of a service only you thus far advocate for (in a way that sounds like a PR blog post written by a Beam employee).

If you think that "says a lot about FOSS" then you are projecting. It says a lot about you, currently, that you expect people to just line up and agree with you on an issue almost absent any substance.

I am locking this thread after your next reply (so make it a good one).
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby tux_peng » 17 Mar 2017, 21:28

Interesting idea. I don't think it would be anymore than a novelty though...
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby tux_peng » 17 Mar 2017, 21:34

Beam is an impressive video streaming platform in that they support streaming with standard rtmp or their own protocol with 1-3s delays. It's not near as widely used as twitch
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby brmbrmcar » 18 Mar 2017, 02:22

Can it do 8K60 streaming?
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar