Steam Greenlight will be discontinued in Spring

Re: [Important] Steam Greenlight will be discontinued in Spr

Postby onpon4 » 24 Feb 2017, 16:07

FaTony {l Wrote}:Thanks. I'm already on tons of antipsychotics and antidepressants. They lower the rate of suicide attempts but they do not solve problems.

Antidepressants typically don't reduce the risk of suicide; rather, they increase it. That's one of the reasons antidepressants are supposed to be a last resort. If all your therapist was able to do for you was prescribe a bunch of drugs, you probably need to find a better therapist.
onpon4

Postby Lyberta » 24 Feb 2017, 19:02

onpon4 {l Wrote}:Antidepressants typically don't reduce the risk of suicide; rather, they increase it. That's one of the reasons antidepressants are supposed to be a last resort. If all your therapist was able to do for you was prescribe a bunch of drugs, you probably need to find a better therapist.

I've been hospitalized 9 times and have gone through everything up to electro-convulsive therapy. The only next step is lobotomy.
Lyberta

Re: Steam Greenlight will be discontinued in Spring

Postby samuncle » 24 Feb 2017, 21:41

Hi @fatony

It's highly unhealthy to tie your purpose in life to only one idea, because then you will take everything that goes against it like a personal affront.
You will also tend to focus only on the bad thing or what you perceive to be bad. It becomes like a cult, and then you try to excommunicate others who doesn't follow it.

We could of course only work for SuperTuxKart until we all starve to death and then the project would stop and I don't think it would be beneficial in the long run.
At the end of the day, we have expenses (hosting, etc), we have marketing (printing posters, etc) and all that cost money. And we don't even talk about eating (because we all have another work).
You have also to understand nothing can be free. If it seems to be free it's because someone else is paying in this case, we the developers use our free time to work on the project. We invest energy.

We have tracks that are only available to people who donate and to be more precise it's only the track (the layout) who is under such license, because all other objects are already included in the core game, which means you can create your own track with the same objects we used for the donator package, you can even try to recreate it.

The package is also totally optional you don't need it in order to run SuperTuxKart but even that wouldn't be an issue according to Richard Stallman

In my view, nonfree licenses that permit sharing are ok for works of art/entertainment, or that present some party's viewpoint (such as this article itself). Those works aren't meant for doing a practical job, so the argument about the users' control does not apply. Thus, I do not object if they are published with the CC-BY-NC-ND license, which allows only noncommercial redistribution of exact copies

Source

A lot of other projects do something similar, like Frogatto

Why not taking a break from all of that, to stop focusing your whole life about the free software movement and to do other activities, like:

Explore the world around you, visit museums, historical landmarks, or start a sport like Judo or anything else, you could learn how to do delicious cakes.
But you should have something else, not related to Open Source software, something that allows you a break.

Life isn't only software!
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby charlie » 25 Feb 2017, 02:00

FaTony {l Wrote}:I've been hospitalized 9 times and have gone through everything up to electro-convulsive therapy. The only next step is lobotomy.

The next step is changing your lifestyle. Do you exercise daily? Do you do any martial arts? Do you meditate? Do you eat healthily? Do you cook your own foods? Do you engage in healthy social activity (of which martial arts can help) etc?

/0.02c and common sense
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 25 Feb 2017, 15:30

I've wanted to write a long post describing what I have to deal with when I'm not in front of my PC but I get too emotional and suicidal when I try to compose it in my brain. Basically, I'm a transgender woman living in Russia which means I'm fucked. I have to constantly struggle against my body, my LGBT-phobic parents, Russian society, etc. It was a living hell throughout my whole life and video games were my only way to escape this hell, even only for a few hours.

Removed stuff about killing billions of people.
Last edited by Lyberta on 25 Feb 2017, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Akien » 25 Feb 2017, 16:05

I don't know if you're serious, but this is clearly not the place to discuss your murder impulses. I suggest that it should be moderated away.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby onpon4 » 25 Feb 2017, 17:15

I have to constantly struggle against my body, my LGBT-phobic parents, Russian society, etc.

Then your top priority should be finding someone, in real life, who will be a good friend to you. Participate in some social activities; that should help. A support group centered around the troubles you face would help as well. People generally don't like hardline activists for causes they don't already support, so being one is probably the worst thing you can do in the long-term if you have no supports in your life.

And find a better therapist. There has to be someone who will listen and treat you properly rather than just telling you to take a bunch of drugs. Again, a support group can help connect you to one
onpon4

Postby Lyberta » 25 Feb 2017, 18:21

onpon4 {l Wrote}:Then your top priority should be finding someone, in real life, who will be a good friend to you. Participate in some social activities; that should help. A support group centered around the troubles you face would help as well. People generally don't like hardline activists for causes they don't already support, so being one is probably the worst thing you can do in the long-term if you have no supports in your life.

And find a better therapist. There has to be someone who will listen and treat you properly rather than just telling you to take a bunch of drugs. Again, a support group can help connect you to one

Well, I've tried like 5 different doctors ranging from ones that are provided by government insurance to "luxury" ones that are paid per hour or so. I've tried hard to find LGBT support groups but they either use social networks without any encryption or are private and you have to earn an invitation. All LGBT events are operated under the cover of secrecy because rampant homophobes storm those with varying degrees of violence.

My current plan is to find a good lawyer and try to claim asylum somewhere in the west.
Lyberta

Postby Auria » 26 Feb 2017, 02:12

Locking this thread since it is getting way off-topic. I wish everyone well, but The SuperTuxKart forum is definitely not the right place to seek psychological help (let alone discuss genocide). Let us keep discussions here about STK, other topics are better discussed in more appropriate forums. Thanks
Auria
STK Moderator