Idea: Setting enemy karts

Idea: Setting enemy karts

Postby Crendgrim » 20 Oct 2010, 20:22

I just compiled STK with the add-on-manager, so I had the ability of using a second kart section. So I started the game with one of the new karts - and saw myself driving against standard karts. In this situation I had got an idea:

In STK 0.6.2 it was handled that the enemy karts were mainly taken out of the current kart section. In 0.7 it seems to be (until now) handled in a way that the default karts are preferred.

Well, what's about just another sort of handling? Why shouldn't the user be able to say what karts should be used?
This could be implemented as a menu:
- random karts
- specified karts
If the user selects "random karts", he can choose "default", "special", "add-on" (and so on - whatever exists) and "all". Then the karts would be mainly taken out of this kart set. If the kart set is not big enough for the specified number of enemies, the missing enemies would be taken out of any levelset (random? or also user-set?)
If he selects "specified karts", he can (de-)select all enemy karts in the subcategories. If there are more selected than used by the race (because of the limitation of the "enemy number" setting) than the other karts would be taken randomly from this selection. If the kart selection isn't big enough, the things mentioned above would happen.

So far - I hope it's understandable.

Does anyone have got a opinion about this? :)

Crend
Crendgrim

Re: Idea: Setting enemy karts

Postby Auria » 20 Oct 2010, 20:41

Hi,

you're a little hard to follow I must say ;)
I seem to understand that your idea would always pick a kart randomly - I'm sure many people wouldn't like that
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 20 Oct 2010, 23:05

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:I just compiled STK with the add-on-manager, so I had the ability of using a second kart section. So I started the game with one of the new karts - and saw myself driving against standard karts. In this situation I had got an idea:

Note that the add-on manager is not supported yet. The code in stk should still prefer karts from the current group, but admittedly I haven't checked that for a while. I'll do that before the 0.7 release.

Having a separate menu for selection AI karts is not really the way I want to go - it's just too complicated without any real gain (imho). I really prefer the overall GUI to be as easy and quick as possible. Using separate groups is actually important, since many of the karts in the addon package are not properly setup with physics parameters, so with the addon package you will use it on your own risk (and admittedly even some of the standard karts still have some issues).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Crendgrim » 21 Oct 2010, 11:13

Auria {l Wrote}:you're a little hard to follow I must say ;)

:(
I've been afraid of this...
Auria {l Wrote}:I seem to understand that your idea would always pick a kart randomly - I'm sure many people wouldn't like that

No. I didn't want this. I only spoke about the enemy karts ;)

hiker {l Wrote}:Note that the add-on manager is not supported yet. The code in stk should still prefer karts from the current group, but admittedly I haven't checked that for a while. I'll do that before the 0.7 release.

I know this, but I read about the implementation in the other topic and wondered how this looks like :)
This was only an explanation how I came to the idea.

hiker {l Wrote}:Having a separate menu for selection AI karts is not really the way I want to go - it's just too complicated without any real gain (imho). I really prefer the overall GUI to be as easy and quick as possible. Using separate groups is actually important, since many of the karts in the addon package are not properly setup with physics parameters, so with the addon package you will use it on your own risk (and admittedly even some of the standard karts still have some issues).

It was only an idea. Maybe you don't understand me correctly. I'll upload some "screens" later today or tomorrow to explain what I tried to say ;)

Crend

EDIT:
Ok, here's a screen. The green marked karts are the enemies - they are used for the race.
EnemySelection.png

And something I didn't see earlier:
hiker {l Wrote}:it's just too complicated without any real gain (imho).

I used to wish in 0.6.2 that I could select some certain karts to drive against - or to select some karts not to drive against :D
It has been annoying to drive with some bad add-on-kart (e.g. Chinchila) against a big kart (e.g. Gooey) ;)
Crendgrim

Postby hiker » 21 Oct 2010, 23:05

Crendgrim {l Wrote}:Ok, here's a screen. The green marked karts are the enemies - they are used for the race.
EnemySelection.png

Yes, I think I understood correctly, but there are implications: how do you select the AI karts? We have already used the fire button to select (and keep on going), so we would need another button (people might play with gamepad etc, so no obvious right-mouse button to use, which would be the obvious solution otherwise), which means more menu entries to define in the 'define buttons' menu. But I'll leave this to auria, she's our GUI expert ;)

And something I didn't see earlier:
hiker {l Wrote}:it's just too complicated without any real gain (imho).

I used to wish in 0.6.2 that I could select some certain karts to drive against - or to select some karts not to drive against :D
It has been annoying to drive with some bad add-on-kart (e.g. Chinchila) against a big kart (e.g. Gooey) ;)

With the addon manager you should be able to just remove a kart you don't like. We always have the problem that people design karts that cause all kind of problems with the physics, without them adjusting the physics properties. Mid term we aim to have different physics properties, so e.g. a less heavy kart will accelerate faster or so - hopefully allowing different karts to be still competitive. Till then (unless auria volunteers to add this to the menu) I would recommend to just rename the corresponding kart.xml file, and then the karts won't be used. Or stick with the official karts, which are (mostly) better balanced.

Oh yes, of course we would accept an appropriate patch ;)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker