Need help.. New to Linux

Need help.. New to Linux

Postby vanclan117 » 29 Sep 2010, 13:22

ok so i just finished installing Gentoo yesterday.. and i downloaded the supertuxkart files by emerge -v supertuxkart.. so it downloaded those and i searched supertuxkart on my computer and found a penguin in a kart and double clicked it thinking itd start.. well it didnt, then i found a purple diamond logo remembering a former game i had downloaded and double clicked it, and that didnt start either.. could anyone help me?
vanclan117

Re: Need help.. New to Linux

Postby Arthur » 29 Sep 2010, 14:18

Welcome! Sorry, I don't know how Gentoo works, but it strikes me as unusual that you're new to Linux and using Gentoo... Gentoo is not an easy distribution to start out with.

Have you tried simply typing supertuxkart in a terminal and see what output you get?
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby xapantu » 29 Sep 2010, 15:41

I didn't try Gentoo, but I thought Arthur is right : enter "supertuxkart" in a terminal, and it should start.

PS: If you are new to linux, why don't you try a more user-friendly distribution ? Ubuntu is cool : http://www.ubuntu.com
xapantu

Postby vanclan117 » 29 Sep 2010, 21:35

well i am using Gentoo because my tech instructor wanted me to use it and install it from scratch because he thought i was smart enough to do it, i managed to get in installed, but working on my transformation from windows every being preinstalled to gentoo where i have to install everything manually.. also, it doesnt let me screen shot.. but when i put in "supertuxkart" into terminal its says:

Data files will be fetched from: '/usr/share/games/supertuxkart/'
Config gile '/home/tommy/.supertuxkart/config' does not exist, it will be create
d.
WARNING: Could not open the default sound device.
Highscores will be saved in '/home/tommy/.supertuxkart/highscore.data'.
SFXOpenL OpenAl error while generating a source: AL_INVALID_OPERATION
SFXOpenL OpenAl error while generating a source: AL_INVALID_OPERATION
SDL_SetVideoMode (800x600) failed: X11 driver not configured with OpenGl

if that helps at all, also another thing, when i type 'su -' it wont let me log into root but when i hit Alt+Ctrl+F2 it lets me log into root with the same password i tried to put in the terminal
vanclan117

Postby Arthur » 29 Sep 2010, 21:49

Well, seems you don't have a video card driver with 3D acceleration enabled, so I suggest you try searching for how to install the video drivers for your card.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby vanclan117 » 30 Sep 2010, 03:02

ok, thank you ill look into it

also, an entirely different problem.. but when i am logged in it doesnt let me log into root in the terminal.. do you have any knowledge for me on that?
vanclan117

Postby hiker » 30 Sep 2010, 03:27

Hi,

vanclan117 {l Wrote}:also, an entirely different problem.. but when i am logged in it doesnt let me log into root in the terminal.. do you have any knowledge for me on that?

you should ask those Gentoo-specific question (like root login) in a Gentoo forum, we can't provide this kind of support here. I am sure you will be getting a much better response there.

Good luck!
Joerg

PS: Of course the original question was fine here ;)
hiker