A couple of small feature requests

A couple of small feature requests

Postby Arthur » 18 Sep 2010, 00:19

Okay, I know that you want to get 0.7 out without using another year, so consider this to be for after 0.7, if you agree and care to do it this way of course. ;)

First, I'll propose that the number of seconds before kart removal in Follow the Leader changes after how many karts you choose to play with. If you want to play with many karts, you'd usually need more time as things get quite chaotic. ;)

Second, I think you should get another item of the same kind when hitting another bonus box. Personally, I often want to throw an item away before next bonus box in order to get something different, since I'll often end up with not getting any more of the item I already have. That makes for huge waste of items.

It's the little things that makes a game perfect. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Re: A couple of small feature requests

Postby acme_pjz » 18 Sep 2010, 05:03

Second, I think you should get another item of the same kind when hitting another bonus box. Personally, I often want to throw an item away before next bonus box in order to get something different, since I'll often end up with not getting any more of the item I already have. That makes for huge waste of items.

Well, I'm not really agree with you ... IMHO maybe we can have two item slots?
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Arthur » 18 Sep 2010, 11:28

Then we'd either have to choose which item slot to fire from, or one of the slots would always have priority. Not the best solution IMHO. But I'm open for discussion (or else I wouldn't have posted it here). :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby KroArtem » 18 Sep 2010, 18:37

Speaking about slots and bonuses I can't agree with both of you.
In my view, if you have a BubbleGum and you collect another BubbleGum they assume. If you have Bubblegum and you collect for example a Swapper, bubblegum disappears and swapper turns its place.
Also it would be very nice if a kart is rescued it will become non-solid for a while, because it is rather annoying when you're riding fast and a rescued kart appeared in front of you -> you've got a little accident and it slows me down :(
So when the kart is rescued -- it becomes non-solid. After a few seconds it blinks (the way to aware karts which are near ) and become solid again.
KroArtem

Postby Auria » 19 Sep 2010, 00:24

I've already expressed my opinion before, but for the sake of the completeness of the discussion : IMO hitting a bonus box should just drop any item you currently have and pick another one quickly. This is simple to understand, you don't need to drop items you don't want since you can still get new ones, and if you have an item you very much want to keep, then you have the additional challenge of avoiding all blue boxes until you're ready to use it.
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 19 Sep 2010, 12:25

A lot of interesting ideas:

I don't think using two slots is the way to go, it complicates the game and gui, and doesn't give much. What to do if you get an item but already have one has been a long debate, and was never really finally decided:
  • Just get one new item, i.e. replace the old one (as currently being suggested).
  • Always get the same item again.
  • What we currently have.
I agree it's at least time to try something else. My suggestion: we implement the first approach, but also make a little extension: some items come in 'single' and 'multiple' versions. This would allow even more balancing of items, i.e. a kart in last place might have more change of getting a triple zipper etc. Any comments? We have some time before the 1.0 release to find the perfect behaviour ;)

Re ghost karts on rescue: we can think of that at/after (probably) 7.2: I want to do support ghost karts (e.g. play against a recorded race of others, ...), and this would easily fit in with that.

Follow-the-leader time: can you suggest a simple formula? E.g. time till first removal is 30 + 1.5*(number of karts) or so? You can try to get a feel for different times by modifying stk_config.xml (follow-the-leader interval) - atm not depending on number of karts, but if you could let me know what might be a good value I'll add this.
hiker

Postby Arthur » 19 Sep 2010, 19:45

Hmm, I think your suggestion, hiker, might be the best one so far. :)
I think it would need to be carefully balanced though.

As for a simple formula in regards to my FTL suggestion: I need to do some testing for this, but 30 + 1.5*(number of karts) sounds not too far off. :)
Arthur

Postby hiker » 20 Sep 2010, 15:50

Hi,

different powerup collection mode (always a new one), multiple item (weights can be set in powerup.xml), and countdown time for FTL races now depending on number of karts (see stk_config.xml) is all implemented (r6079).

Feedback (and bug reports ;) ) welcome.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby jeffry84 » 21 Sep 2010, 21:13

Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum! could'n the behaviour of the weapons (keep the first weapon/keep only the last one) be set in the options by the final user? everyone's happy...
jeffry84

Postby Auria » 22 Sep 2010, 02:30

jeffry84 {l Wrote}:Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum! could'n the behaviour of the weapons (keep the first weapon/keep only the last one) be set in the options by the final user? everyone's happy...

Hi,

for now we're just testing; this will be to see, but adding too many options is not that good either, clutter the UI (except config-file-only options, of course), but we'll see what the feedback we get is :)
Auria
STK Moderator