What about using some material from Opengameart?

What about using some material from Opengameart?

Postby KroArtem » 26 Aug 2010, 19:24

Hello, I was looking through Opengameart today and thought that some materials could be helpful for STK.
For example music. http://opengameart.org/content/jump-and ... opical-mix Nice music and fits the soul and direction of the game :) Now afair there is only one music track for one race. But there can be >=1 audios during one race, isn't it?
Or speaking about 3-d what about http://opengameart.org/content/old-oak-tree%20this and http://opengameart.org/content/gum-tree%20that trees? I understand it is easy to say than to make (especially easier for me because I don't have background with blender\3d), but it is rather possible to integrate these trees in some tracks, for example in Tux Tollway (but I'm not sure they fit the scene :( )
KroArtem

Re: What about using some material from Opengameart?

Postby Auria » 27 Aug 2010, 16:13

Hi,

yes, we mostly need someone to find the good songs, or a 3D modeller to update our tracks with them ;)
The oak tree is actually already used in the GP lost/won screens, could be added to other tracks as well. The song is good, it's just maybe a little short? Though our current beach track song is very repetitive too so maybe that's not a problem for now ;)

Feel free to post other links to interesting materials; but regarding 3D stuff we are coders, so we would appreciate much if people could submit improved blends of our tracks so we can concentrate on code ;)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby KroArtem » 27 Aug 2010, 18:48

Hm, yes, speaking about this song I agree it is a bit short. But this song + song from the race 'On the beach' can fit and they wouldn't be so repetitive together, don't you think so?
Also I've found some good music (IMHO, of course :))
http://www.opengameart.org/content/space-walk can be placed in the track 'Star Track' as a second song (if someone will play this race too long and the first song finished)
And the last song I fall in love is http://www.opengameart.org/content/hex-a-hop-soundtrack
But I'm not sure where to use it :(
KroArtem

Postby Arthur » 27 Aug 2010, 21:14

KroArtem {l Wrote}:Also I've found some good music (IMHO, of course :))
http://www.opengameart.org/content/space-walk can be placed in the track 'Star Track' as a second song (if someone will play this race too long and the first song finished)

Funny you should say that, as I'm the creator of that music piece. :)
There are however some things to consider: will the addition of more songs for each track make the download size acceptable (for those with limited bandwith as well)? Personally, I think one song for each track is sufficient, though some of the current ones might be a little short.

Anyway, I won't interfere with the decisions made by the STK developers, so if they decide they want more music, then I'm all ears. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby KroArtem » 27 Aug 2010, 21:18

Just now I was playing crescentcrossing and noticed that the graves look..a bit awful (IMO)
So I've downloaded some textures and one foto from OGA and made some changes. Of course I'm not an artist but I hope it looks better now.
Here is the result: http://img291.imageshack.us/i/gravej.png/
All materials from OGA were under CC-0
There is no sign "R.I.P" on the grave (don't have good fonts in gimp)
And when I replaced track's grave.png with mine and started the game I noticed that these tree branches are not situated in front of the grave, they are (surprisingly) on the sides of the grave.

Arthur, your song really sounds good :)
May be you're right and there shouldn't be a lot of music. But may be it is reasonable to have 2 short songs (where it needed) which are the same size as one song for another track.
KroArtem

Postby Arthur » 27 Aug 2010, 21:39

Seems you got a better texture yeah. :) The tree branches are on the sides of the grave because the texture is wrapped around the 3D object. Unfortunately, I haven't learned UV texturing yet (still pretty new at Blender), so I can't help unfortunately.

Thanks a lot, KroArtem, for your kind words. :)
Yeah, some of the music is indeed too short, so having two songs might be an acceptable solution? We'd better wait for some "official statement". ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Static Juice » 28 Aug 2010, 01:28

I thought I'd just share my two cents on all the music in the game:

Beach: In my opinion this song is too repetitive, it needs at least one break in it. And also, I think it's quite cheesy how on the last lap the pitch goes up.

Canyon: Great song, it suits the track well.

City: I like this one very much. :) I have great memories playing tracks with this song in it.

Crescentcrossing/Lighthouse: It suits Crescent Crossing very well. It adds to the eerieness of the track.

Fortmagma: This one is pretty average, I've never been a great fan of rock music, but that's just my opinion.

Islandtrack/Olivermath: I don't think chiptune music fits in with this game. Although this song did go quite nicely with Oliver's Math Class, I think that it doesn't suit the Island track. The Beach music would probably fit this track better.

Jungle: Very nice. :)

Mines:A nice little tune here. :D

Racetrack: Good music here, it makes the track more exciting.

Sandtrack: Another good piece of music that suits the track well.

Secretgarden: One of my favourites. If only DJ Helium could compose some more music for the game, his compositions are the best. :cool:

Skyline: Average. The music is too simple.

Snowmountain: Another great composition by Krobonil. This piece of music sounds quite cute. :p

Snowtuxpeak: Why does this song have vocals? It's supposed to be just background music. :o

Startrack: Perfect. Suits the track really well. :D

Tuxtollway: Another amazing piece. Suits the track well. :)

XR591: This has always been my favourite track, and I also think this track has the best music. :D
Static Juice

Postby MCMic » 28 Aug 2010, 02:52

Snowtuxpeak: Why does this song have vocals? It's supposed to be just background music. :o

It's out of it by brad sucks! You just can't dislike brad sucks.
MCMic

Postby Auria » 28 Aug 2010, 15:48

KroArtem: thanks for the nice grave, but as Arthur said can you adapt it so it fits better in-game?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby stked » 28 Aug 2010, 22:59

MCMic {l Wrote}:

Why not?
Gaming with Netbooks blog
gamingwithnetbooks.blogspot.com

STK editor website
stked.webs.com
stked

Postby Static Juice » 29 Aug 2010, 00:53

Well the point I was trying to make was that it doesn't fit in with the game, although I do somewhat dislike it.
Static Juice

Postby Auria » 29 Aug 2010, 01:15

Finding music is difficult, if you find open music under a good license feel free to share
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 29 Aug 2010, 07:45

Arthur {l Wrote}:There are however some things to consider: will the addition of more songs for each track make the download size acceptable (for those with limited bandwith as well)? Personally, I think one song for each track is sufficient, though some of the current ones might be a little short.

We already have the option of supplying additional music as an addon package: the .music file can also specify for which tracks the music should be used. To make this support perfect we would probably need the option of replacing existing music (e.g. if you have installed the music-addon package, use the new music X for track Y instead of music Z of the base package).

We can also have several different pieces of music for one track. In this case one of them is picked randomly (that's what I meant above we might need an option to replace existing music).

If needed we can look at playing a 2nd (...) music once the first one is finished, but we have to see if this would cause any delay (and if so, pre-load all music before the start, ...). So that might need a bit of time.

Summary: we can't really have too much good music ;)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Auria » 29 Aug 2010, 16:51

Joerg: agreed, but with one caveat, when porting .music files to XML, currently unused features may not have been ported over ;)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 29 Aug 2010, 23:41

Auria {l Wrote}:Joerg: agreed, but with one caveat, when porting .music files to XML, currently unused features may not have been ported over ;)

You are right, this has not been ported (and to answer the question in the comment: yes, it is useful ;) ). I'll add this to my todo list.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby KroArtem » 30 Aug 2010, 19:07

So, I've tried to do something and here are the results:
http://img267.imageshack.us/i/gravev.png/
Looks like it is the best I can do with this grave :(
Also: http://img837.imageshack.us/i/metalfence.png/
Now it is a rusted fence :) I'm not sure if it looks better, so feel free not to use it.
And two screens with the result (from the game):
http://img13.imageshack.us/i/stknewgrave.png/
http://img96.imageshack.us/i/stkcc1.png/
KroArtem

Postby Arthur » 30 Aug 2010, 19:33

Hey, not bad. :)

@StaticJuice: The Island track has a new song in it now, so hopefully one less track with "chiptune music". ;)
Arthur

Postby KroArtem » 30 Aug 2010, 19:41

@ auria : Laps don't counted on the track 'Farm'
KroArtem

Postby Auria » 30 Aug 2010, 20:06

KroArtem: grave is better now, but perhaps you can scale down the "side flowers" vertically? I think it would look better if they are "centered" instead of going from top to underground

Also, I'm aware about farm track, it's very much work in progress :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 31 Aug 2010, 00:37

hiker {l Wrote}:
Auria {l Wrote}:Joerg: agreed, but with one caveat, when porting .music files to XML, currently unused features may not have been ported over ;)

You are right, this has not been ported (and to answer the question in the comment: yes, it is useful ;) ).

Support for this is back now, though it should be tested a bit more before a release.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby KroArtem » 31 Aug 2010, 19:18

KroArtem

Postby Auria » 01 Sep 2010, 00:59

KroArtem: this looks good to me :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby KroArtem » 01 Sep 2010, 17:15

So here is the grave : http://img547.imageshack.us/i/gravej.png/
Here is the grave: http://img831.imageshack.us/f/metalfence.png/
If you need something else feel free to ask :)
KroArtem

Postby Auria » 01 Sep 2010, 18:18

KroArtem: thanks, looks good to me :)
Now we need to know which license you release this under. Do you agree to release this under our usual license of CC-BY-SA 3.0, or do you want a specific license? (Also beware, if you took the grave texture or flowers from someone else you need to check the license they used too)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby KroArtem » 01 Sep 2010, 19:18

As I have mentioned earlier texture (which is from summoning wars) and branches were released on opengameart.
Texture is released under CC0 (Public Domain). Branch is released under CC0 (Public Domain). In fact I don't understand some refinements in licenses, so if CC0 allows to use this materials or to change the license, you may think it is under CC_BY-SA 3.0
If not, I may ask qubodup (the branch is his) and West (texture is his) about it.
KroArtem