Like the kart handling improvements in SVN

Like the kart handling improvements in SVN

Postby downer » 22 Aug 2010, 05:07

I tried the SVN 5753 from a few days ago for the first time in a while and I really liked these two kart handling improvements:

The sharp turning works good for me now, especially when I let off the gas or hit the brake. Its very helpful with tracks like Lighthouse, where I couldn't follow the road without riding the brake.

I also really like the drafting effect when I'm behind another player. It helps to mix things up when nothing else is around. Its also good that it doesn't seem like the AI is making a fast moving lead pack when drafting off each other!

Are there are more kart handling improvements in the works?
"...curiosity saved the mouse." -Deceth
downer

Re: Like the kart handling improvements in SVN

Postby hiker » 22 Aug 2010, 11:53

downer {l Wrote}:I tried the SVN 5753 from a few days ago for the first time in a while and I really liked these two kart handling improvements:

Great, thanks for the feedback!

The sharp turning works good for me now, especially when I let off the gas or hit the brake. Its very helpful with tracks like Lighthouse, where I couldn't follow the road without riding the brake.

I also really like the drafting effect when I'm behind another player. It helps to mix things up when nothing else is around. Its also good that it doesn't seem like the AI is making a fast moving lead pack when drafting off each other!

We have heard different things - some people are seeing the AI building a 'slipstream train' (which would be an AI bug - a faster AI kart should try to overtake the slower kart ahead of it, therefore no trains should be created for a long time). I have to admit that I usually do only very short races with one or two AIs at the moment while developing the end race code, but once we are getting closer to a RC we will do more tuning here.

Are there are more kart handling improvements in the works?

Certainly not for 0.7, which is way overdue anyway. Depending on feedback we might do some minor tuning. After 0.7 (not entirely sure when, depends a bit on how many bugs are being reported, and how long the addon-manager takes to be finished) there will be some improvement to the physics, hopefully turning the sharp-turning key into a better skidding experience :) This might take some time, since we also want to update to the latest bullet version (which unfortunately is not trivial).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Re: Like the kart handling improvements in SVN

Postby downer » 22 Aug 2010, 15:44

hiker {l Wrote}:We have heard different things - some people are seeing the AI building a 'slipstream train' (which would be an AI bug - a faster AI kart should try to overtake the slower kart ahead of it, therefore no trains should be created for a long time).

Yes, sometimes they do clump together, but I think that also happened before the drafting effect was put in. Sometimes its just a little tighter group in a row now. I think the drafting effect is cool enough to leave in and try to get it to work better with the AI.
"...curiosity saved the mouse." -Deceth
downer