Only see ?? for zh_TW translations

Re: Only see ?? for zh_TW translations

Postby Franklin » 29 Aug 2010, 02:31

Auria {l Wrote}:Thanks xapantu.

Franklin: progress on this is on hold until you can tell me if the from provided by acme_pjz contains characters that are fine for taiwan chinese

Sorry for the delay. I was a bit busy and I didn't receive any notification for this thread.

It may work, though I'm not sure if it contains every character we used.
Please try with his font first, and we'll see what characters are missing.

BTW, I went to launchpad but I'm not familiar with it and didn't know how to submit our translations into it.
Here is the URL I visited:

https://launchpad.net/stk

and

https://translations.launchpad.net/stk/trunk

Then? I didn't see any translation status there.

Thanks.

Franklin
Franklin

Postby Franklin » 29 Aug 2010, 04:13

I found how to upload our translations, and I've uploaded it onto launchpad.

Please see if it is okay or not.

Thanks.
Franklin

Postby acme_pjz » 29 Aug 2010, 08:50

I translated the newly-added items ... and there are some problems about Chinese word-wrapping, it looks like Irrlicht doesn't work this well ... so I had to add space manually. But the another translator didn't know this problem, so maybe the tranalations should be tested ...
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Auria » 29 Aug 2010, 20:59

Hi!

I finally got around to adding the wqyMicroHei font in SVN. Latest SVN now supports traditional chinese, if you add the files from the chinese pack found at http://www.mediafire.com/file/b9lb2c8n1 ... sePack.zip into the /data/font directory :)

Meanwhile, if you don't have the latest SVN version of STK, take a look at those screenshots below.

Now, there is a slight issue, however :( browsing the GUI is very slow, because on every new screen it needs to load several font textures and this makes the screen slow. Acme_pjz: you proposed to add only used characters into the font. The main problem is that translations are not static, so if we go this way we will need to constantly update the font images :( for now I don't have an easy solution
Attachments
taiwan chinese 2.jpg
taiwan chinese 1.jpg
simplified chinese 2.jpg
simplified chinese.jpg
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 30 Aug 2010, 16:37

Now, there is a slight issue, however :( browsing the GUI is very slow, because on every new screen it needs to load several font textures and this makes the screen slow.

Yes, the game runs slow when screen switching - there are a lot of texture loading messages showing in console window :| and I'm not sure there is enough video memory ...

Acme_pjz: you proposed to add only used characters into the font. The main problem is that translations are not static, so if we go this way we will need to constantly update the font images :( for now I don't have an easy solution

Well, in SVN we can use full characters, and before release juse run a tool ( which I'm coding now ;) ) to read all mo files, then create a minimal font texture ...
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 30 Aug 2010, 16:40

By the way, can you explain what "a mighty pirate", "pays the next round of grog" and "A wizard did it" means? My English is not very well, so I don't know the special meanings :| ...
acme_pjz

Postby Auria » 30 Aug 2010, 17:10

The first two are messages related to the "anchor" weapon. The wizard is about the swapper weapon. They are just pirate related silly messages :) They may not be easily translated, but you can go quite free-form for these messages, just write funny messages for these weapons :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Arthur » 30 Aug 2010, 19:29

They're not just silly messages, I believe they are nods to a famous adventure game series called Monkey Island, where you happen to almost always introuduce yourself as "Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate". Also, it is the origin of the totally unreal drink called "grog", which is made of dangerous ingredients such as battery acid and other toxic stuff. The first game in the series came out in 1990, which makes it a true classic.

If you haven't played any of the games in this series, I absolutely recommend you to do so, if you get the chance. The best game in the series IMHO is Monkey Island 3: The Curse of Monkey Island.

Just a little gaming history lesson, if you don't mind. ;)
Last edited by Arthur on 30 Aug 2010, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby KroArtem » 30 Aug 2010, 19:34

I know only Monkey Brains :D (But it is a funny game too, supports 2 players and..a lot of monkeys :))
KroArtem

Postby Franklin » 30 Aug 2010, 19:42

Arthur {l Wrote}:They're not just silly messages, I believe they are nods to a famous adventure game series called Monkey Island, where you happen to almost always introuduce yourself as "Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate". Also, it is the origin of the totally unreal drink called "grog", which is made of dangerous ingredients such as battery acid and other toxic stuff. The first game in the series came out in 1990, which makes it a true classic.

If you haven't played any of the games in this series, I absolutely recommend you to do so, if you get the chance. The best game in the series IMHO is Monkey Island 3: The Curse of Moneky Island.

Whaaaaaa~~ The Monkey Island!! Guybursh and the ghost pirate LeChuck!! I used to write an article about its playing hints and was published in the game magazine. That time I was just about 15 or 16 and was still a junior high school student, preparing for our high school entrance exam!

But I really didn't think of that game when seeing these messages. It's too long time ago...

And IMHO, I like the first episode the most.
Franklin

Postby Arthur » 30 Aug 2010, 19:47

Well, sorry for continuing with the off-topic, but I didn't know about Monkey Island at all before; I've only known it a few months. Still, I've played all 5 games already, and I love it! :D

I'm not completely sure it's aimed at this game (series), but it was the first thought that came to my mind. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 30 Aug 2010, 20:03

Arthur {l Wrote}:They're not just silly messages, I believe they are nods to a famous adventure game series called Monkey Island, where you happen to almost always introuduce yourself as "Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate". Also, it is the origin of the totally unreal drink called "grog", which is made of dangerous ingredients such as battery acid and other toxic stuff. The first game in the series came out in 1990, which makes it a true classic.

If you haven't played any of the games in this series, I absolutely recommend you to do so, if you get the chance. The best game in the series IMHO is Monkey Island 3: The Curse of Moneky Island.

:shock:
I didn't know! Sorry for putting out disinformation ^^
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 31 Aug 2010, 09:10

They're not just silly messages, I believe they are nods to a famous adventure game series called Monkey Island, where you happen to almost always introuduce yourself as "Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate".

Yes, I was already found this on Wikipedia :) But I haven't see this game in China, so I'm not sure the Chinese translations of "Mighty Pirate" :|
acme_pjz

Postby Arthur » 31 Aug 2010, 09:13

Yeah, had trouble with translating that one to Norwegian as well; while I can translate word for word, it just doesn't "sound" right. We probably have to think of something a little bit different as Auria said. :)
Arthur

Postby RyanLeiTaiwan » 03 Sep 2010, 05:51

Wow, it's great to finally see Traditional Chinese landing on STK!
Please allow me to get notified of this topic.
(Seems I can only subscribe to this thread by replying it??)
Ryan Lei - Taiwan
I'm a computer science MS from CMLab (Communication and Multimedia), National Taiwan University.
RyanLeiTaiwan

Postby RyanLeiTaiwan » 03 Sep 2010, 21:07

Auria {l Wrote}:Hi!

I finally got around to adding the wqyMicroHei font in SVN. Latest SVN now supports traditional chinese, if you add the files from the chinese pack found at http://www.mediafire.com/file/b9lb2c8n1 ... sePack.zip into the /data/font directory :)

Meanwhile, if you don't have the latest SVN version of STK, take a look at those screenshots below.

Now, there is a slight issue, however :( browsing the GUI is very slow, because on every new screen it needs to load several font textures and this makes the screen slow. Acme_pjz: you proposed to add only used characters into the font. The main problem is that translations are not static, so if we go this way we will need to constantly update the font images :( for now I don't have an easy solution

The traditional chinese characters work for me! And the browsing is acceptable on my computer (C2D, 3G RAM Macbook).
Will the language pack be added to data/fonts in SVN? And will there be a "select language" combobox in the future?
Currently the STK language seems to follow the system language on Mac. Don't know about other platforms.
Ryan Lei - Taiwan
I'm a computer science MS from CMLab (Communication and Multimedia), National Taiwan University.
RyanLeiTaiwan

Postby Auria » 04 Sep 2010, 02:46

Hi,

probably the chinese font will be shipped separately because it's quite big,

Regarding a "select language" list, I guess this would be possible but we have many other things to do for now ;)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 06 Sep 2010, 11:41

Currently the STK language seems to follow the system language on Mac. Don't know about other platforms.
You can set environment variable LANGUAGE=xx_xx, for example, in Windows create a batch file with

set LANGUAGE=xx_xx
supertuxkart

Then OK ... but I don't know hot to set environment variable in Mac :|
acme_pjz

Postby RyanLeiTaiwan » 06 Sep 2010, 12:50

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:
You can set environment variable LANGUAGE=xx_xx, for example, in Windows create a batch file with

set LANGUAGE=xx_xx
supertuxkart

Then OK ... but I don't know hot to set environment variable in Mac :|

Typing
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
export LANGUAGE=xx_yy

before launching STK in the command line can start STK in the specified language.
Ryan Lei - Taiwan
RyanLeiTaiwan

Postby xapantu » 06 Sep 2010, 16:43

On Linux, it is :
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
export LANG=xx_yy
xapantu