racing game engine

racing game engine

Postby Tuxfan » 10 Jun 2010, 21:56

I know that somewhere (either in the forums or in the wiki) a switch in the racing game engine was explained - unfortunately I wasn't able to find the information again, so I have to ask. SuperTuxKart used to use waypoints to manage a race track is aligned. Maybe a year ago a switch was discussed. Is there a page/ a thread that explains how the old and/or the new system works?
Tuxfan

Re: racing game engine

Postby stked » 10 Jun 2010, 23:55

Gaming with Netbooks blog
gamingwithnetbooks.blogspot.com

STK editor website
stked.webs.com
stked

Re: racing game engine

Postby hiker » 10 Jun 2010, 23:59

Tuxfan {l Wrote}:I know that somewhere (either in the forums or in the wiki) a switch in the racing game engine was explained

What exactly do you mean with racing engine? The physics was changed, but that was a few years ago.

- unfortunately I wasn't able to find the information again, so I have to ask. SuperTuxKart used to use waypoints to manage a race track is aligned. Maybe a year ago a switch was discussed. Is there a page/ a thread that explains how the old and/or the new system works?

The actual AI code hasn't changed much (except some improvements to steering), and it was never really documented. It basically determines the longest straight line it can drive (when aiming at the centre points = waypoints).

What was changed was the actual driveline structure, which enables us to define shortcuts and loops. This is documented in our wiki: http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/New_drivelines.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker