Bonus

Bonus

Postby rudy85 » 23 Feb 2010, 22:51

Hi , I'm making a traducement of wiki and I found this note :

o Anvils are considered to be too harsh (there is no way to handle them, you are just a victim), a potential replacement might be: spray some paint on the wind screen, i.e. overlay part of the screen with some paint drops so that you can't see properly?? AI karts might just slow down instead/ Note: delayed till later.

My opinion is :

It's interesting to have 2 type of Slowing down then Idea of overlay part of the screen with some paint drops is good too.
More is bonus more is fun :)

And I think it's important to attribute different bonus depending of race position

No ?
STK 3D animation
My work is under the licence you want
rudy85

Re: Bonus

Postby Auria » 24 Feb 2010, 00:15

Yes, we do need more and better collectibles.
More work is to happen on this, when we have some time
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 24 Feb 2010, 01:17

rudy85 {l Wrote}:It's interesting to have 2 type of Slowing down then Idea of overlay part of the screen with some paint drops is good too.
More is bonus more is fun :)

I totally agree - we need more items :) There are some easy to implement items (e.g. a fake item box, which is a hidden banana; or drop bananas, not as in MK, but as a normal banana in STK), and some more complicated to do. I really like the 'dirty windscreen' idea (not surprising, afair it's from me ;) ), and it shouldn't be too hard to implement this. We would need some nice texture for this, and a kind of graphical effect (e.g. the dirt should not just disappear, but look like it's being washed down/blown down - so perhaps first some stretching, then moving it downwards or so).

And I think it's important to attribute different bonus depending of race position

That's certainly on my todo list. I think we need more items before we can do this (it is currently done for the anchor and parachute items), just so that even if you are first you have some variations in the items you get. Also we have to be careful how to specify those items, since we have a variable number of karts, so we can't use absolute position numbers. As always: patches welcome :)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby asciimonster » 24 Feb 2010, 10:56

the wiki {l Wrote}: o Anvils are considered to be too harsh (there is no way to handle them, you are just a victim), a potential replacement might be: spray some paint on the wind screen, i.e. overlay part of the screen with some paint drops so that you can't see properly?? AI karts might just slow down instead/ Note: delayed till later.

How do you like this idea: a caravan

If a caravan is hitched to your kart (because you have first place), the kart won't go straight anymore. If -1 is hard left and +1 is hard right (including skid), when the caravan is on, you cannot use the range -0.25 to +0.25, but for the rest the steering works as normal. The only way to go straight is by swirving over the road.

The swirving is indicated by the movement of the caravan behind you. When you are "caravanned", you can use volume of the caravan to fend off karts behind you (N.B. caravan should be in physics model)!
asciimonster

Postby vjuk » 24 Feb 2010, 14:30

How about a dimmer so the first person gets a very dark transparent and they can't see much. Computer carts would just get slower and have a three second delay before turning
vjuk

Postby Arthur » 24 Feb 2010, 17:24

IMHO we have enough penalizing stuff already. If some of this is to be implemented in the future, some of the others should be removed (e.g. anvil).
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby asciimonster » 25 Feb 2010, 13:43

Arthur {l Wrote}:IMHO we have enough penalizing stuff already. If some of this is to be implemented in the future, some of the others should be removed (e.g. anvil).

Too many penalties? The weapons are so inacurate now, it's pretty hard to use them in a constructive mannor (I usually end up shooting my own ...).

There is a bonus I always wanted, but I never asked because it is i.m.o. exceedingly difficult to do: Ghost mode.
When activated, you can move through other karts (not track objects). Visual effect: alpha-blend of kart.
Problem: Is it possible in physiscs engine? What to do when you "rematerialise" within another kart? Do you die?
asciimonster

Postby hiker » 26 Feb 2010, 00:09

asciimonster {l Wrote}:
Arthur {l Wrote}:IMHO we have enough penalizing stuff already. If some of this is to be implemented in the future, some of the others should be removed (e.g. anvil).

Too many penalties? The weapons are so inacurate now, it's pretty hard to use them in a constructive mannor (I usually end up shooting my own ...).

I agree that the bowling ball is a bit useless atm, it's too slow, so you can only use it if karts are very close. The plunger is fine, and cake as well - as long as you hit a kart that is driving reasonable straight.

There is a bonus I always wanted, but I never asked because it is i.m.o. exceedingly difficult to do: Ghost mode.
When activated, you can move through other karts (not track objects). Visual effect: alpha-blend of kart.
Problem: Is it possible in physiscs engine? What to do when you "rematerialise" within another kart? Do you die?

I would have to have a much closer look at the physics engine. You can disable collision between certain object groups, but I have to see what side effect that might have. I certainly won't do that for 0.7, but can have a look after that :)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Auria » 26 Feb 2010, 02:52

Bowling Ball needs better aiming, I agree. I think it's supposed to have some aiming, but that's probably broken (it was me who coded that, and i never was good at bullet)
Auria
STK Moderator