To keep track of these plans somewhere :

To be removed from the game
- Snow Peak
- Fort Magma
- Nessie's Pond

To be added to the game
- Snow Weeks (by Sven)
- New Fort Magma (by Sven)
- New Nessie's Pond (status TBD, there has been a lot of different plans for this one)
- Sewer track (by Sven ; assuming it gets finished, as it's obviously unpolished right now)
- Alpine Valley (rework of Green Valley by Sven)
- Some undetermined SIMPLE track. The gameplay should not be trivial, and there should be options to keep online multiplayer fun, but the overall layout of the main path should be noob-friendly (relatively easy to understand and follow). Obviously solid graphics and good theming are a must.

To be lightly updated (item placement, smoothing, minor details) :
- Abysses
- Cornfield Crossing
- Candela City
- Cocoa Temple
- Grand Paradisio Island
- Black Forest

To receive more significant updates :
- Ravenbridge Mansion (changing the fall trap will be tricky)
- Hacienda (unfortunately samuncle never shared his next-gen update ; however Hacienda as-is is graphically unacceptable for 2.0)
- Around the Lighthouse (mass removal of invisible walls, graphical improvements)
- Volcano Island (graphical enhancements mostly, the gameplay is much more enjoyable with 2.X as heavies don't get a free win if they are ahead)
- Shifting Sands (the rework by Sven available in addons would be the likely basis, with perhaps further tweaks)
- Northern Resort (Graphical and thematic enhancements mostly, along with a revision of item placements)
- STK Enterprise (graphical updates and item placements only)
- The Old Mine (graphics, perhaps opening up a new easy-but-slow path ; the gameplay overall is great although minor tweaks would be welcome)
- XR591 (same as the Old Mine)
- Olivers Maths Class (likely Sven's rebalance + some graphical enhancements + perhaps a minor upscaling)

To be determined :
- Minigolf (the new minigolf is disliked by many good players, myself included, but Minigolf needs an overhaul of sorts)
- Zen Garden (graphical update and the intended 1.0 upscaling, layout rework, total removal : all options are on the table)
- Other new tracks (depending on what's available and what can be made into 2.0 standards)
Alayan
STK Moderator

Re: Tracks for 2.0

Postby Typhon » 23 Nov 2023, 21:05

Hi Alayan!
Alayan {l Wrote}:- Volcano Island (graphical enhancements mostly, the gameplay is much more enjoyable with 2.X as heavies don't get a free win if they are ahead)

I'm just wondering, did you see my upgrade version of Volcano Island? It's been around for almost 3 years now and got some additional improvements over that time.
Though I also made quite some gameplay changes as well.
https://online.supertuxkart.net/addons.php?type=tracks&name=volcan-island--2020-upgrade-

Best regards,
Typhon
Typhon

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 23 Nov 2023, 21:16

Alayan {l Wrote}:- New Nessie's Pond (status TBD, there has been a lot of different plans for this one)

Yeah it's definitely one of the uglier tracks, I think the gameplay is mostly liked by players though, so maybe a good rework of the track would be the easiest way.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- Some undetermined SIMPLE track. The gameplay should not be trivial, and there should be options to keep online multiplayer fun, but the overall layout of the main path should be noob-friendly (relatively easy to understand and follow). Obviously solid graphics and good theming are a must.

I had plans to make a full youtube series on how to make tracks for STK (had most videos and a lot of the scripts already planned, but didn't have the time to actually start working on it). My idea was to make a new simple track together with the tutorial. A rather simple racetrack in las dunas, with graphics inspired from the battle and soccer arena, mixed with classic racetrack elements. Maybe if I find the time that could be a nice addition.

Alayan {l Wrote}:- Hacienda (unfortunately samuncle never shared his next-gen update ; however Hacienda as-is is graphically unacceptable for 2.0)

When I first started my wild west track I thought it could maybe replace Hacienda, but it seems that players like that track too much to remove it from the game.
Now another idea that came to mind is keeping the layout but changing the theme of the track, to what my wild west track would've been. I already modeled many good assets for the wild west theme, so it would be faster than reworking the track in it's current style.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby Alayan » 23 Nov 2023, 21:55

Typhon {l Wrote}:I'm just wondering, did you see my upgrade version of Volcano Island? It's been around for almost 3 years now and got some additional improvements over that time.
Though I also made quite some gameplay changes as well.
https://online.supertuxkart.net/addons.php?type=tracks&name=volcan-island--2020-upgrade-

Best regards,
Typhon

I'm aware of it, yes. I tested some previous version of the addons in 2021, I tried it again now.

There are elements of the graphics that are undoubtedly much better (for example, the water), but I'm not fond of the gameplay changes and the theming changes.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:I had plans to make a full youtube series on how to make tracks for STK (had most videos and a lot of the scripts already planned, but didn't have the time to actually start working on it). My idea was to make a new simple track together with the tutorial. A rather simple racetrack in las dunas, with graphics inspired from the battle and soccer arena, mixed with classic racetrack elements. Maybe if I find the time that could be a nice addition.

This sounds great. Let me know when you start planning the layout. Or if there are some track-making improvements in the game code that could be done before, so that the tutorial contains them.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:When I first started my wild west track I thought it could maybe replace Hacienda, but it seems that players like that track too much to remove it from the game.
Now another idea that came to mind is keeping the layout but changing the theme of the track, to what my wild west track would've been. I already modeled many good assets for the wild west theme, so it would be faster than reworking the track in it's current style.

I thought there are a lot of graphically nice things in Wild West, but I wasn't fond of the layout.

But Hacienda without a hacienda, that would be strange...

It's a long shot but one more try at getting samuncle to share his next-gen update of the track is probably worth it, too.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby eltomito » 26 Nov 2023, 23:07

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:I had plans to make a full youtube series on how to make tracks for STK...

Please do it!
eltomito

Postby George » 30 Nov 2023, 10:49

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:When I first started my wild west track I thought it could maybe replace Hacienda, but it seems that players like that track too much to remove it from the game.

Hi, Sven and everyone! GeekPenguin here.

It's been a long time since I logged into this forum and there's a reason, because I always tried to contribute to the gamewith projects and assets but I ended up giving up after losing the contents of 3 hard drives (including the backup one) that were damaged. Months of 3D modeling, texture making, design and much more were thrown away. However, I had the curiosity to check out this forum days ago to see if some relevant update was made, and I saw this topic about the tracks for STK 2.0.

You said you are working on a wild West themed track. Well, maybe we can help if you want it. Let me explain.

Ten years ago my brother, Tuxkartdriver, started a similar project called "Ghost Ville", a track located in a current touristic town formerly a real old wild West town.He made some good assets as you can see below. All these objects are good quality 3D models created by him with textures designed by myself. Everything made with criteria after weeks of research.

I don't know what is the standard for your project, if more realistic or more cartoonish. In the first case, we have a lot of houses and objects as shown here:

Wild West 12.jpg
Wild West 06.jpg

Wild West 10.jpg
Wild West 09.jpg

Wild West 02.jpg
George

Postby George » 30 Nov 2023, 11:28

Alayan {l Wrote}:To keep track of these plans somewhere :

To be removed from the game
- Snow Peak
- Fort Magma
- Nessie's Pond

To be added to the game
- Snow Weeks (by Sven)
- New Fort Magma (by Sven)
- New Nessie's Pond (status TBD, there has been a lot of different plans for this one)
- Sewer track (by Sven ; assuming it gets finished, as it's obviously unpolished right now)
- Alpine Valley (rework of Green Valley by Sven)
- Some undetermined SIMPLE track.

To be determined :

- Other new tracks (depending on what's available and what can be made into 2.0 standards)

Hi, Alayan!
As said in response to Sven's quote, I lost the files of all those projects I was working on, but there's a remote possibility of recovering. I can't assure, but maybe it's possible. The projects I'm referring to are these:

Cosmodrome, a space port in a Soviet town in the late 80s.
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... space+port

I doubt someone has interest to see a track like this with all the russofocia today, but who knows?

Volcano Resort (located somewhere that looks like Polynesia) / Mining Valley / Trelleborg and Viking Ring Fortress, a track like a time machine where the players can drive across a typical big Viking fort circa 900 AD.
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... ing#p66631

Circus
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... cus#p64708

1750 : my favorite project, since it's a track inspired by the history of the gold exploration in my country of the XVIII century).
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... ver#p69723

Tulips Field or Windmills: a track located in some place that looks like the Netehrlands.
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... lip#p94855

Is anyone here interested in which of my unfinished projects?

Again: I don't know if it's possible to recover the files but I can try on more time in order to make the objects with their respective textures available here if they are recovered. However, I would like to know which of these clues is of most interest to developers and forum members so that I can focus on recovering the folders that contain these files.
George

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 02 Dec 2023, 19:35

Hi GeekPenguin!

Meant to reply earlier to this but didn't have time.

It would be awesome if you could share the Wild West themed models you have!
I'm not sure if all the models fit in with the ones I already have right away, but I would love to try and see which ones I can use. And which ones I can modify to fit in.

For the other tracks/projects: did I understand you correctly that you don't plan to continue working on these projects, but that you could share the files (if they can be recovered) if someone is interested in working on them/using them for projects?

If I understood you correctly and if the files can be recovered, I would really like if you would share all of them (I especially like your 1750 track). Even if they won't be continued, you usually have good models and textures in your projects so the models could be very helpful anyways.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby George » 03 Dec 2023, 09:40

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:For the other tracks/projects: did I understand you correctly that you don't plan to continue working on these projects, but that you could share the files (if they can be recovered) if someone is interested in working on them/using them for projects?

Exactly! That's right.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}: If I understood you correctly and if the files can be recovered, I would really like if you would share all of them (I especially like your 1750 track).

I'm happy to see you would like to work on tracks with some assets created by myself and my brother, and you have a special interest for 1750, which is my favorite project.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Even if they won't be continued, you usually have good models and textures in your projects so the models could be very helpful anyways.

I would like to see all those currently unused 3D objects and textures that my brother and I created being used is tracks finished by other contributors. In fact, I wish some collaborators take on at least three of my projects and to finish by creating the entire environment with a layout for the driveline and the relief with all ups and downs in which some houses and characters made by us can be fitted.

In this case, "1750", "Viking Ring Fortress" and "Tulip Fields" would be my choice and "1001 Nights" my brother's choice.

I think that "Circus" could be one of those "Some undetermined SIMPLE track" mentioned by Alayan. I have a lot of objects forit if the damaged hard disk can be recovered. "Grand Paradisio Island" or "Volcano Island" could receive some of those objects I created for "Volcano Resort", since these three may be touristic places.

Either way, it all depends on my files being recovered. Today, the only project with objects and textures available (as my brother has the original files) is "Ghost Ville", which can perfectly be transformed into your "Wild West".

Here, some renderings showing other buildings that he already has ready for use.

Wild West 16.jpg
Wild West 21.jpg

Wild West 34.jpg
Wild West 35.jpg
Attachments
Wild West 36.jpg
George

Postby George » 03 Dec 2023, 09:46

Wild West 37.jpg
Wild West 33.jpg

There is a lot of other objects created by my brother and ready for use. For example: native American indian canoe, brass milk jug, lamp and a ghost.
George

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 08 Dec 2023, 00:17

George {l Wrote}:I would like to see all those currently unused 3D objects and textures that my brother and I created being used is tracks finished by other contributors. In fact, I wish some collaborators take on at least three of my projects and to finish by creating the entire environment with a layout for the driveline and the relief with all ups and downs in which some houses and characters made by us can be fitted.

In this case, "1750", "Viking Ring Fortress" and "Tulip Fields" would be my choice and "1001 Nights" my brother's choice.

I personally would like to continue the work on 1750 but I can't do more than that (and even for only one track I will have to see how fast I can finish it, because I don't have that much spare time).

STK doesn't have many artists atm so I don't know if someone else can continue them right now. But it would still be really really nice to have the models and WIP tracks for sometimes later.

And the assets themselfes are of high value as well of course.

The wild west models look really really good, when could you send them, so I can test and integrate them? :)
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby fracture » 27 Jan 2024, 19:03

I haven't had time to play or test STK in a while but I'll share some thoughts I remember.

Alayan {l Wrote}:Volcano Island (graphical enhancements mostly, the gameplay is much more enjoyable with 2.X as heavies don't get a free win if they are ahead)

You already saw that upgraded Volcano Island. My thoughts, I think it's a huge improvement but doesn't fix the main issue with this track in my opinion. The gameplay is still repetitive but the graphical enhancements and changes I think make it passable (to me at least).

Alayan {l Wrote}:Zen Garden (graphical update and the intended 1.0 upscaling, layout rework, total removal : all options are on the table)

I like the first option.

Alayan {l Wrote}:Other new tracks (depending on what's available and what can be made into 2.0 standards)

From what I remember, I don't think any addons tracks could be made into 2.0 standards. I remember Paradise Peaks was mentioned but it's gameplay is kinda bad I think. I thought City Lights was cool but it's too broken I think to be made into 2.0 standards (even the old Mansion track isn't nearly as broken in my opinion and I hated that track when it was in the game).
fracture