[Suggestion] Position Gained-lost and Current Fastest Lap

[Suggestion] Position Gained-lost and Current Fastest Lap

Postby ImagineSpiders » 15 Aug 2023, 12:11

Before anything I want to thanks everyone who worked so hard to create this amazing game! Secondly, I want to make sure if this is the right place to post suggestions for SuperTuxKart. Or, should I post it on GitHub?
That being asked, I have a couple of suggests for the game:
1. Positions gained-lost: After we finish the race, we get a ranking screen. The screen should display how many position each player gained or lost since the beginning of the race. We can also display the same data during the game as well.
2. Current fastest lap: During the race, we should be able to see who holds the fastest lap.
ImagineSpiders

Re: [Suggestion] Position Gained-lost and Current Fastest La

Postby kimden » 18 Aug 2023, 08:42

(This is a good place to post suggestions as github seems to be for bugs and issues)

I would say the current ingame screen already shows many things to keep an eye on, the placement, the items held, speed and nitro level, mínimap, and stuff, so I don't really understand where do you want to place the gained positions number for any player, considering that the left bar already has much info. If you have some work in progress design that would be appreciated

Also it's worth noting that in most races the proposed info doesn't really make much sense because positions delta depends on the grid which is random in 99% of online races for example, and 99% of online races have less than 7 laps so it's not really hard to follow the fastest lap changes I guess. Doesn't mean we shouldn't care about the remaining 1%, but just for your information

But of course I welcome new things, it's nice if you have some ideas how to do it in mind, even if the game still follows the "no new options" rule and doesn't accept it, that can be done in custom clients then
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Re: [Suggestion] Position Gained-lost and Current Fastest La

Postby Alayan » 30 Oct 2023, 19:56

ImagineSpiders {l Wrote}:Before anything I want to thanks everyone who worked so hard to create this amazing game! Secondly, I want to make sure if this is the right place to post suggestions for SuperTuxKart. Or, should I post it on GitHub?
That being asked, I have a couple of suggests for the game:
1. Positions gained-lost: After we finish the race, we get a ranking screen. The screen should display how many position each player gained or lost since the beginning of the race. We can also display the same data during the game as well.

The difference between the different staring place is rather modest in most situations, this stat would be mostly clutter.

Except for GPs, it could be nice there to see the change in GP standings more clearly.

ImagineSpiders {l Wrote}:2. Current fastest lap: During the race, we should be able to see who holds the fastest lap.

I agree with what kimden said in this regard. It's not an outright bad idea, but it has a limited range of usefulness and STK already displays a massive amount of information in the race UI.
Alayan
STK Moderator