Official tracks

Official tracks

Postby Polo10 » 01 May 2023, 08:09

Hello everybody,
This second title is for the tracks. How many official tracks would be needed for the new story mode. More, the same number? And if we add which ones? Which ties in with the first title about how we create and think about the new story mode.
Polo10

Re: Official tracks

Postby fracture » 01 May 2023, 15:58

It depends on how many GPs there will be. Currently there are four with 5 tracks each, then Fort Magma is the final boss track, and maybe in 2.0 Dyson Speedway could be a bonus track unlocked after completing the story/challenge mode.

So if each GP has the same # of tracks, and with two additional tracks, the new game should ideally have 22 tracks or 27 tracks if a fifth GP is added, but any number between is fine. It wouldn't be good to create several low quality tracks just so the game can have 27 tracks.

Obviously some tracks including Fort Magma and Volcan Island will receive major upgrades or replacements, and Green Valley will likely make a return, so that along with Dyson Speedway if that gets in as the final track would bring the game up to 23 tracks.

For the 4 remaining tracks, maybe some popular addons tracks could be given major overhauls or remade from scratch. I remember Alayan considered adding Paradise Peaks if it gets an overhaul, and while I do like that track, it's gameplay is repetitive as you're making the same turns over and over again, left turn followed by right turn. I want to say City Lights should be added, but it's currently very broken with serious AI issues, user-accessible track limits, and broken graphics, so it would have to be completely redone and I doubt anyone who has experience making tracks is interested in revamping it.
fracture

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 02 May 2023, 07:35

Well grandprixs really aren't as important in STK as the cups in Mario Kart for example.
So it really doesn't make much sense to approach the Tracks from that perspective. Having some grandprix with only 4 tracks would also not be problem.

It's also not like we can just make a track if we need one. Making a track that has enough quality to be considered for 2.0 takes a lot of work and time (I think I have at least spend 400-500 hours working on the new fortmagma track, it's of course a rather complex track but other tracks also take a lot of time).

I honestly don't see any reason to change how it was till now: whenever there is a track good enough for the main game it will be added and whenever there is a track in the main game that is lacking quality it will be removed/replaced or improved if someone wants to.

fracture {l Wrote}:Green Valley will likely make a return, so that along with Dyson Speedway if that gets in as the final track would bring the game up to 23 tracks.

Sewer would also be a new track. Wild West could also be a new track or replace Hacienda.

Besides Dyson Speedway I don't think there is any addon currently that would come close to the main game without major overhauls.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby fracture » 02 May 2023, 16:16

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Well grandprixs really aren't as important in STK as the cups in Mario Kart for example.
So it really doesn't make much sense to approach the Tracks from that perspective. Having some grandprix with only 4 tracks would also not be problem.

It's also not like we can just make a track if we need one. Making a track that has enough quality to be considered for 2.0 takes a lot of work and time (I think I have at least spend 400-500 hours working on the new fortmagma track, it's of course a rather complex track but other tracks also take a lot of time).

I honestly don't see any reason to change how it was till now: whenever there is a track good enough for the main game it will be added and whenever there is a track in the main game that is lacking quality it will be removed/replaced or improved if someone wants to.

I agree. It really just depends on how many tracks make the final version of the game and the grand prixs shouldn't be decided until after all the 2.0 tracks have been made or are being worked on. I still think tracks should be ordered based on complexity and difficulty (which is why Volcan Island and Ravenbridge Mansion should swap GPs when 2.0 is released).

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Sewer would also be a new track. Wild West could also be a new track or replace Hacienda.

Besides Dyson Speedway I don't think there is any addon currently that would come close to the main game without major overhauls.

There really aren't. Canyon 42 and Green Hill come the closest, but the former is too easy and would be another desert track and the latter is too similar to Black Forest so they shouldn't be considered. I think Wild West should replace Hacienda since there shouldn't be more than two desert tracks and Hacienda is one of the worst tracks in the game. It really just depends on what tracks you and other track designers want to overhaul.

I remember Sewer having incomplete graphics (obvious when looking back or playing in reverse mode) but I liked the idea of racing in a sewer but it was poorly executed.
fracture

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 02 May 2023, 17:56

fracture {l Wrote}:I remember Sewer having incomplete graphics (obvious when looking back or playing in reverse mode) but I liked the idea of racing in a sewer but it was poorly executed.

You are talking about the addon right? I meant my Sewer track, not sure if you have seen it https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 18&t=19078
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby fracture » 02 May 2023, 18:46

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:
fracture {l Wrote}:I remember Sewer having incomplete graphics (obvious when looking back or playing in reverse mode) but I liked the idea of racing in a sewer but it was poorly executed.

You are talking about the addon right? I meant my Sewer track, not sure if you have seen it https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 18&t=19078

Yes. I haven't played your Sewer track but the old one was very broken.
fracture

Postby Alayan » 30 Oct 2023, 22:36

Polo10 {l Wrote}:Hello everybody,
This second title is for the tracks. How many official tracks would be needed for the new story mode. More, the same number? And if we add which ones? Which ties in with the first title about how we create and think about the new story mode.

As many high-quality tracks as we can get. With existing tracks being either improved to higher standards if they need to or replaced. A higher total number of tracks would be nice if we can get enough tracks meeting quality standards (both graphically and when it comes to gameplay), but the only thing set is that we won't go to a lower number. So it could be 21 (current number), or 22, or 24, or 30, or another number, who knows. Around ten of the 1.X tracks require serious changes or a replacement. I'd be surprised if we got enough new good tracks to add more than a few, and I'd be very happy if we could get 25 high-quality tracks.

The new story mode (as in, a new overworld or even more than one overworld ; alongside new and improved cutscenes) project would need manpower the STK project doesn't really have and I don't expect it to happen any time soon.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Well grandprixs really aren't as important in STK as the cups in Mario Kart for example.

Yes, the Story Mode GPs will be adapted to fit the available tracks.

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Besides Dyson Speedway I don't think there is any addon currently that would come close to the main game without major overhauls.

I'm aggravated by the solid-black road textures in some parts of that track, it plays quite differently from the usual tracks, and some parts could do with more clarity. But although I'm not too fond of mass ground zippers, it's indeed a very polished addon. It's a track that's perhaps too long for its own good, because although I don't mind a 90s/lap high-quality track, 120s/lap is pushing it, and that's already with tons of ground zippers, so there is no real margin for tweaks.
Alayan
STK Moderator