New story mod for STK 2.0

New story mod for STK 2.0

Postby Polo10 » 01 May 2023, 08:04

Hello everyone,
I'm going to create 3 threads that will be linked. I'll start with the new story mode. Because with the recent discussions in the other threads I see that there is a need for big improvements in this story mode. So I'm opening this new thread to discuss this.

But I have two questions:

Should we make a new story mode from the tracks we have or create a story and then decide what tracks we put in it?
Polo10

Re: New story mod for STK 2.0

Postby fracture » 01 May 2023, 15:49

My suggestion would be to drop the story mode and have a challenge mode instead.

SuperTuxKart currently has the worst story mode of any video game I have ever played. It feels so forced, as if the developers felt obligated to include it just so they could have something Mario Kart doesn't have. Nolok kidnapping GNU just so he can challenge the player to a race just screams desperation and attention seeking. I guess the citizens of Fossland or whatever decided not to race with Nolok because they knew he cheats in all his races, so Nolok has to make fake threats to bait them.

If they can't make a good story mode, there shouldn't be a story mode at all.

So instead this story mode could be changed into a challenge mode. Do away with the overworld and maybe the cutscenes. There could be different levels of challenges, where players have to complete all the challenges from one level before unlocking the next level, then the final level would be the race against Nolok. Each level would have six challenges with the final challenge (unlocked after completing the first five) being a grand prix consisting of all five tracks. The challenges should get more difficult in each level, and a way to do this would to increase the racers for each level.

As for the tracks, I would move Volcan Island to the second GP and Ravenbridge Mansion down to the first (Penguin Playground) since the latter is one of the easiest tracks in the game and the upgraded Volcan Island is more difficult than the original. I'd also swap Candela City with either Cocoa Temple or Zen Garden, and I'd rearrange At World's End so that Black Forest is the opening track and Minigolf comes afterwards as the former is an easier track which doesn't require braking to complete some sharp turns, and it serves as a calm before the storm of harder, more chaotic tracks.
fracture