Further development of STK 2

Further development of STK 2

Postby Polo10 » 24 Apr 2023, 21:24

Hello everybody,

This is a message that is really important to me.

I wanted to apologize really one last time for saying that development was not progressing a few months ago now.

I do understand that Benau can't develop the game by himself at a certain speed. Besides, it must not be his full time job. He is doing what he can and I really thank him a lot for the fact that he is not already abandoned.

Which brings me to the second point of this message. He probably didn't give up because he saw that there was a community behind it that wanted development and was interested in development and supertuxkart. So I apologize to the track developers for saying "I'll give you time". What right do I have to say that? I am not the boss, I am not above you and I have no experience in what you do. So I wanted to apologise once and for all.

I am now committed to being a constructive player.

I have something to offer you. Because I see recently that a community is resurfacing and it's great!

Why not recreate a development team for the 2.0 version of supertuxkart ( tempanon no one to contact for the scripts SvenAndreasBelting or rubberduck for the tracks...) where everyone works at their own pace and when they can. There would really be no pressure to do so.

This could help and support benau. After all it's an open source game ;)

It would be to go slowly towards the 2.0 version of supertuxkart.

I, despite my lack of knowledge in code, if the community is willing I would like to introduce myself as a coordinator of all the work done and as a topic starter to know the different opinions of everyone on for example the characteristics of karts to have.

So what do you think?

Maybe it's a bad idea.

Let me know, the discussion is open.

Have a nice day !!!
Polo10

Re: Further development of STK 2

Postby Polo10 » 25 Apr 2023, 14:10

Of course I forgot to say this but it's probably the most important thing, you don't have to do anything. If you don't want to do it, don't worry. ;)
Have a nice day !
Polo10

Re: Further development of STK 2

Postby fracture » 28 Apr 2023, 16:15

Realistically, I would be surprised if 2.0 comes out in the next couple of years. I think it's going to be a long time and there will be at least 3 or 4 more point releases, but I'm not a developer so I don't know.

SuperTuxKart is a community game so of course development won't be fast. I actually thought development was going to end sometime last year as Sven and others had disappeared for a while but it's good to see this game is still alive. People here have lives outside of SuperTuxKart and as you said it's not their full-time job.

I myself have things to do outside this game and I haven't played the game in months until just a few days ago. I could learn how to create tracks and possibly revamp or recreate some addons tracks I like but have terrible graphics or other issues (City Lights, Racetrack, and Paradise Peaks all come to mind), but I think it'd be easier for me and better for this project if I contributed by creating new music for the game. A lot of the tracks including the music during and after the race sound dated and could use replacements.

The good thing about the SuperTuxKart being developed by a community (as opposed to a greedy company like Nintendo) is that community members get an actual say and we all care about developing a good game.
fracture