Disabling powerups

Disabling powerups

Postby throwawayaccount » 15 Apr 2023, 21:20

Hi all!

SuperTuxKart is a really fun game (with great music!) right out-of-the-box. But since I'm more into traditional racing games than Mario Kart style ones, I'm trying to disable the powerups.

Unfortunately simply setting the drop chances of all powerups to zero in the powerup.xml, crashes the game as soon as any cart (including bots) hits a powerup. So currently I just have it so that all powerups are guarenteed to be speed boosts, which is quite a refreshing way to experience the game in itself but still not quite what I'm aiming for.

Is there a way to disable powerups altogether (in single player)? What about the banana peels and nitro tanks?

Thanks in advance for any help.
throwawayaccount

Re: Disabling powerups

Postby MRM5686 » 15 Apr 2023, 23:47

You can edit the Scene.xml to remove Nitros and Bananas. as for the power ups I am not sure.
MRM5686

Postby tempAnon093 » 16 Apr 2023, 04:40

Is there a reason why Time Trial mode isn't a solution? This still has nitro and bananas (might be able to make it useless in the config...) but no powerups.
Most levels are designed with these objects in mind, for example bananas can change the optimal driveline, so I personally prefer to keep them there even when I challenge myself not to use power-ups.

MRM5686 {l Wrote}:You can edit the Scene.xml to remove Nitros and Bananas [and gift boxes]

This would need to be done for every single level, and is a pain to undo, so I'm not sure if it's ideal. I mean, it can be done programmatically with a script if someone really wanted to.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby MRM5686 » 16 Apr 2023, 05:53

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Is there a reason why Time Trial mode isn't a solution? This still has nitro and bananas (might be able to make it useless in the config...) but no powerups.
Most levels are designed with these objects in mind, for example bananas can change the optimal driveline, so I personally prefer to keep them there even when I challenge myself not to use power-ups.

MRM5686 {l Wrote}:You can edit the Scene.xml to remove Nitros and Bananas [and gift boxes]

This would need to be done for every single level, and is a pain to undo, so I'm not sure if it's ideal. I mean, it can be done programmatically with a script if someone really wanted to.

Not really that hard to undo if your using PC you can just hide a copy in a new folder; and it sounds like OP is willing to do the work, also you can learn a lot by playing in that file, "and" "also" am I missing anything??

P.S I see the bananas as road hazards... I personally would not remove them.
MRM5686

Postby throwawayaccount » 16 Apr 2023, 23:46

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Is there a reason why Time Trial mode isn't a solution?

Time trial definitely works, it's just that I also want to play the story, soccer, etc. without powerups. :)

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:

I was about to say, that looks like a lot of work to do manually :lol: I'll look into whipping together a script for this when I find the motivation. I already have an inkling of an idea how it might be done on windows, so it should certainly be possible on linux.

MRM5686 {l Wrote}:P.S I see the bananas as road hazards... I personally would not remove them.

I concur, the bananas can stay :p And I guess removing the nitro tanks will make the nitro collecting challenges a bit hard too... :think:
throwawayaccount

Postby throwawayaccount » 19 Apr 2023, 02:14

OK, here's a little script that will remove the nitro tanks from all maps that aren't featured in nitro collecting challenges.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
for track in /usr/share/games/supertuxkart/data/tracks/*/scene.xml
    do
        if [[ $track == "/usr/share/games/supertuxkart/data/tracks/sandtrack/scene.xml" ]]
            then :
        elif [[ $track == "/usr/share/games/supertuxkart/data/tracks/xr591/scene.xml" ]]
            then :
        else
            gawk -i inplace '!/small-nitro/' $track
            gawk -i inplace '!/big-nitro/' $track
        fi
    done

However, as MRM5686's first reply suggests, I'm not sure this can also be done for gift boxes, since I haven't been able to find a universal object identifier analogous to "small-nitro" and "big-nitro" for them.
From what I can tell, it seems the gift boxes are declared only as
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
<item id="Empty.[number]" x="[coordinates]" y="[coordinates]" z="[coordinates]" />
, making them hard to distinguish from other objects similarly declared.
tempAnon093, if I'm interpreting the square brackets in your quote from MRM5686 correctly as being your addition(?), do you know of a way to identify which items declared in the scene.xml files are gift boxes?
throwawayaccount

Postby throwawayaccount » 21 May 2023, 17:19

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:

If I'm interpreting the square brackets as being your addition to MRM5686's quote correctly(?), do you know of a way to identify which items declared in the scene.xml files are gift boxes?
throwawayaccount