Looking For How To Guides

Looking For How To Guides

Postby MRM5686 » 12 Apr 2023, 00:33

I am looking for some how to guides I don't see much when it comes to videos on Youtube, but is there anything written. I want animate my cars, I have been using other peoples Karts and Tacks to poke around and see how things work, and I am learning a lot that way but I am starting to get lost.

EDIT: I do see the STK one... Is there more?
MRM5686

Re: Looking For How To Guides

Postby tempAnon093 » 12 Apr 2023, 09:46

The official written documentation is at https://supertuxkart.net/Community on the right side.
Making karts and tracks will require using Blender (a 3D modeling tool) with the SuperTuxKart Blender add-ons. Here is the install guide. You can ignore the parts about older versions.
Let me know if anything isn't clear: I'm working on improving the documentation so your feedback is wanted! There is also a (work in progress) video tutorial.

It also requires adding the media repository, which has all the media like textures and sounds that get included in the game. See this page. Again, if anything is unclear, let me know and I'll guide you through.

The written documentation is currently the best source for learning to make tracks and karts, apart from asking questions here or the chat room. There is an old video guide on YouTube for making a track which may also be useful if you get stuck on a part, although it is in German, and 5 years old (so the parts about installing tools and many of the Blender instructions may be outdated, including important things like textures, but it will show you how to made a valid driveline using the array tool if the written documentation is confusing). "Create Supertuxkart-Track with Blender [Beginner]" by Linux Guides DE.

A useful thing to do may be to download the source of a track that someone has made, open it in Blender, and try exporting it. I can upload one of my basic test tracks, because older track made in Blender 2.79 or below used a different technique for adding materials, so all the materials will be broken.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby MRM5686 » 12 Apr 2023, 18:15

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I have just started edit: been a few months using Blender and I also have been editing other people Karts and Tracks to see how things work. I am stuck on the fine details, I need to add animations and Wheels, my first karts are space themed I have some UFOs that I have not uploaded yet.

Now I am understanding more I want to make a Kart rather then a flying object.

I will check out your links and post back later or PM you if I need more detail...

Thank you again

Rob
Last edited by MRM5686 on 12 Apr 2023, 19:02, edited 2 times in total.
MRM5686

Postby MRM5686 » 12 Apr 2023, 18:48

Ok so I do have a question

I am using Linux Kubuntu 22.04... My question, what add-ons do I need to enable I only found two Import-Export SuperTuxKart exporter tools, and Import-Export SPM, from your screen shot I should have five.

I am guessing mine that says Import-Export SuperTuxKart exporter tools is the bundle of the first four you show, however I want to be sure I am not missing anything.

Thanks
Rob
MRM5686

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 12 Apr 2023, 18:58

Depends on the Blender version you're using.

the blender versions 2.8 and above will only have 2 addons you need to enable: "import-export: spm" and "supertuxkart exporter tools"

if youre using blender 2.79 or older you will have to enable, I think 5 addons as you said.

I would highly recommend going with a new Blender version like 3.3
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby MRM5686 » 12 Apr 2023, 20:12

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:Depends on the Blender version you're using.

the blender versions 2.8 and above will only have 2 addons you need to enable: "import-export: spm" and "supertuxkart exporter tools"

if youre using blender 2.79 or older you will have to enable, I think 5 addons as you said.

I would highly recommend going with a new Blender version like 3.3

Ok thank you that explains it. I am using Blender 3.5, so it looks like I have the proper ones enabled; With all those add-ons are there any I could add that would help out as well?
MRM5686

Postby tempAnon093 » 13 Apr 2023, 01:02

Sven is correct, I'll update that screenshot.

With all those add-ons are there any I could add that would help out as well?

That's a good question, I'd like to know the answer too. I've been fine just using the in-built features and occasionally pre-made assets from blendswap and OpenGameArt.org but any helpful Bender add-ons would be nice to know about. I haven't really explored the Blender community.

Not really an answer to your question, and I can't say I found it useful, but it is worth mentioning in case someone does find use for it:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Supertuxkart
https://github.com/vvoovv/blender-osm (has free and paid version)
Maybe I just picked an area which was poorly mapped, and the tools have been updated a lot since I tried around 5 years ago.

edit: Oh, I just realized there was an outdated instruction in there:
"For Blender 3.0 you need to disable "Proxy to Override Auto Conversion" in preference menu"
Please ignore that. I don't think the option exists in 3.5 anyway.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby wilmaster734 » 15 Jun 2023, 19:30

Hello. I have just discovered some wonderful projects and would like to participate. I'm a programmer. I need some help. I tried to install stk-code and stk-editor but I have some difficulties. I'm stuck at step #5 for stk-code installation (Building SuperTuxKart on Windows (from PowerShell/Command line)). I'm sorry for my English. I mainly speak French. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

More information the command "cmake .." doesn't seem valid and doesn't work for me. steps 1 to 4 worked. If you need more details to help me, don't hesitate to ask.
Attachments
step-stk-editor.png
wilmaster734

Postby wilmaster734 » 15 Jun 2023, 19:37

I also wanted to apologize because I didn't know where I could post my message. While I'm at it, I'd like to know if there's a discord server and if I could propose ideas for a version 1.5 of the game that I could probably program if the ideas are accepted of course.
wilmaster734

Postby QwertyChouskie » 20 Jun 2023, 04:42

wilmaster734 {l Wrote}:I also wanted to apologize because I didn't know where I could post my message. While I'm at it, I'd like to know if there's a discord server and if I could propose ideas for a version 1.5 of the game that I could probably program if the ideas are accepted of course.

https://discord.gg/u2AJDpF
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby QwertyChouskie » 20 Jun 2023, 04:43

wilmaster734 {l Wrote}:Hello. I have just discovered some wonderful projects and would like to participate. I'm a programmer. I need some help. I tried to install stk-code and stk-editor but I have some difficulties. I'm stuck at step #5 for stk-code installation (Building SuperTuxKart on Windows (from PowerShell/Command line)). I'm sorry for my English. I mainly speak French. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

More information the command "cmake .." doesn't seem valid and doesn't work for me. steps 1 to 4 worked. If you need more details to help me, don't hesitate to ask.

https://cmake.org/download/#latest
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie