STK Windows (arm64) Bug Report?

STK Windows (arm64) Bug Report?

Postby jwoolery99 » 20 Nov 2022, 20:49

Hi all,

I'm submitting an error log that I've been getting when running the arm64 version of STK on one of my Windows on ARM devices, the Samsung Galaxy Book Go. Since I am not sure if anyone has actually bug reported from one of these devices before, I thought I would at least post my findings.

Some fluff to start; I have a few different WOA devices, including a Microsoft Dev Kit 2023 [Volterra] (though I am by no means a developer, I just like the hardware ;) ). But the main device I've been using to test the game is the Galaxy Book Go, which uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 processor with Adreno 618 GPU and 4GB memory. By no means a speed demon but something that at least starts and runs Windows 11.

Anyway, I tried the game on this laptop, and [at least with the Samsung-supplied video driver through Windows Update] it did not look pretty. The game started up complaining that there was no OpenGL 3.3 or later support, and the menu was in the fallback mode with no background and a low resolution (presumably 1024x768 because that's what the menu said, but Windows was trying to scale it 125% which looked blurry, not the game's fault). Any attempt to change the display resolution would result in the game crashing immediately. Starting the game in the offline Story mode was only allowing 5% GPU usage at best when looking at the GPU in task manager, which is for sure not normal, and the game was unplayable with FPS in the single-digits. When I close out of the game, I also get a resulting crash data-filled error message, of which I'll dump the contents below:

[BEGIN LOG]
Call stack:

<no symbol available>
COpenGLDriver.cpp:irr::video::COpenGLDriver::setTransform:1159
COpenGLDriver.cpp:irr::video::COpenGLDriver::setMaterial:2711
CSceneManager.cpp:irr::scene::CSceneManager::removeAll:1763
CSceneManager.cpp:irr::scene::CSceneManager::~CSceneManager:184
_ZTv0_n24_N3irr5scene13CSceneManagerD0Ev
CIrrDeviceStub.cpp:irr::CIrrDeviceStub::~CIrrDeviceStub:72
_ZTv0_n24_N3irr13CIrrDeviceSDLD0Ev
irr_driver.cpp:IrrDriver::~IrrDriver:242
irr_driver.cpp:IrrDriver::~IrrDriver:226
main.cpp:cleanSuperTuxKart:2775
main.cpp:main:2619
WinMainCRTStartup
WinMainCRTStartup
BaseThreadInitThunk
RtlUserThreadStart
[END LOG]

I've also taken great lengths to try a different display driver for the Adreno 618 GPU, resulting in me installing a newer driver from a Lenovo 10w tablet of all things on a Samsung computer, but that did not help as you can see. It is a newer driver version (27.20.850.0) vs the latest official Samsung driver (27.20.800.0) which you can't even download from their website (c'mon Samsung!). But alas, no help. Even Qualcomm doesn't supply video drivers on their website as I'm aware. To say that driver support right now on Windows on ARM is a disaster is putting it lightly.

So I hope to anyone that is currently tasked with working on the arm64 version of the game, I hope this information helps you out!

(p.s. On the Windows Dev Kit 2023, this error, or similar, does not occur with the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3's GPU, it works perfectly and the game is completely stable with reasonable graphics settings and 1080p resolution resulting in a very nice experience!)
jwoolery99

Re: STK Windows (arm64) Bug Report?

Postby benau » 22 Nov 2022, 06:20

Try install the opengl compatibilty pack on the WOA device that doesn't play stk
benau
STK Moderator

Re: STK Windows (arm64) Bug Report?

Postby benau » 22 Nov 2022, 10:26

or use supertuxkart.exe --render-driver=directx9 to use directx9 renderer
benau
STK Moderator