I Have a Question About Sara and Kiki?

I Have a Question About Sara and Kiki?

Postby agg1401 » 03 Nov 2022, 07:21

I'm making a game mod to the RVGL version of Re-Volt on my own. I will paint all the cars in this game mod. My main question is, can I include Sara and Kiki in this game mod?

This mod, will make constant updates. Blender v2.79b will be used to convert it to RVGL game. Sure, if you let me.
agg1401

Re: I Have a Question About Sara and Kiki?

Postby benau » 03 Nov 2022, 09:45

Yes sure they are licensed under cc-by-sa 3 /cc0 anyway
benau
STK Moderator

Postby agg1401 » 03 Nov 2022, 12:33

benau {l Wrote}:Yes sure they are licensed under cc-by-sa 3 /cc0 anyway

Hi.

How do we do the licensing business?
agg1401

Postby bzt » 03 Nov 2022, 16:45

agg1401 {l Wrote}:How do we do the licensing business?
The easiest (and imho best) solution is to create a "CREDITS.txt" in your repo, which lists blocks of (used asset) (author) (licensing terms) and maybe an (url). For example, this is how I did it in my CREDITS.txt (this is the bare minimum, and I haven't listed the license for each asset, because I've only used assets under CC-BY-SA). Another sample with examplary tidy info blocks CREDITS.txt. For the records, this is exactly how STK does it too, see CREDITS (however its file is less records like, and more like simple free-text, but all the info is there).

Some license (the GPL most notably) requires you to provide a notice in run-time too. If you're not using any GPL parts, you can skip this. But if you do, here's how they recommend to do it.
The hypothetical commands `show w' and `show c' should show the appropriate parts of the General Public License. Of course, your program's commands might be different;
for a GUI interface, you would use an “about box”.
Also note that GPL is very strictly copyleft license, if any part of your game is GPL licensed, then your entire game must be GPL licensed, meaning you can only use assets under licenses which are compatible and allow re-licensing under GPL. Despite its quirks (or perhaps because of those), GPL is still the best license to enforce FOSS.

Hope this helps,
bzt
bzt

Postby agg1401 » 04 Nov 2022, 06:40

Hello.

Hmm... The game isn't GPL but it's free. I don't think this plan will work. Does CC-BY-SA have this requirement?

CREDITS.txt file can be created. It's a simple operation.
agg1401

Postby bzt » 04 Nov 2022, 14:04

agg1401 {l Wrote}:Does CC-BY-SA have this requirement?
Nope, you can mix CC-BY-SA licensed materials with other free licensed materials (like CC0, public domain, MIT, and other Creative Common licenses etc.). The only exception besides of GPL is CC-NC (non-commercial) and CC-ND (no derivatives), because those are more strict licenses (just like GPL) and you are not allowed to loosen up their requirements.

Regardless it is a nice touch to provide a license info in your about box, so that being "free and open source software" can be seen not only in the source repo, but during running the game too. The license has a logo that you can embed if you prefer icons rather than text. But embedding a notice (or logo) isn't a must with CC-BY-SA, just the best practice.

agg1401 {l Wrote}:CREDITS.txt file can be created. It's a simple operation.
I agree. Easy to do and fulfills the license's attribution requirements.

Also you should put this text in a comment at the beginning of each source file (unlike CREDITS.txt which is primarily about the licenses of the third-party materials you have used, this is about licensing your own code under CC-BY-SA. You can, and you should mention your own code in CREDITS.txt of course, but depending on juridictions that might not be enough. Adding this comment in each file is a common practice to be sure. Again, not a must, just the best practice).

Cheers,
bzt
bzt