Trouble with online connection

Trouble with online connection

Postby puzlanchik » 06 Jun 2022, 18:50

Hi! In recent days i sometimes have problems with getting STK online. It looks like STK just doesn't see the internet connection, as if the computer was offline. But it is online, other applications and websites opens normally. It happens on different devices from the same wi-fi network. Sometimes it works, sometimes no.

And, yeah, i am from Russia. Can it be some problems with russian government blocking some traffic, or, at contrary, traffic to Russia is blocked?
puzlanchik

Re: Trouble with online connection

Postby bzt » 06 Jun 2022, 19:21

I don't think you're blocked, because then you wouldn't be able to connect at all, not just sometimes.

Trace your route, that will tell you exactly where the problem is. It is called tracert if you're on Windows, and traceroute on Linux. This will print each and every hop between you and the STK server with latency measurements. The hop with an outstanding latency will be your culprit.

Another useful tool is ping (same name on all OS), which will tell you the percentage of the packet loss. Your issue could be high rates of loss at certain times or at certain routes (your packets are not necessarily travel on the same path, it could be you -> A -> B -> C -> STK server is working, but you -> A -> D -> C -> STK server is not, because router D is overloaded or something. Traceroute will tell you the actual path, run it multiple times to see if it changes).

Hope this helps,
bzt
bzt

Re: Trouble with online connection

Postby kimden » 09 Jun 2022, 00:49

You are definitely not alone with that, I recall at least two more cases when players from Russia just couldn't connect in the past month to the main stk server / some other servers too from time to time. I don't know why that happens, though. Not sure whether VPN can help with that.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden