STK Mod?

STK Mod?

Postby agg1401 » 20 Apr 2022, 12:42

I am thinking of a mod that will change 100% of SuperTuxKart and that I can do with my own plans by removing some mods from that game. In this mod, I will take the cars from Re-Volt, transfer them nicely and then paint them nicely. I will make the tracks myself. Of course, Blender and GIMP are essential for this job. Let me come to my main questions;

1. Do I have to recompile after removing what I want to uninstall in that game?
2. How can I delete or change all cars and chapters in that game?
3. How do I do a UVMap after importing the Re-Volt cars (left click of my mouse is garbage, we need to solve this)?
4. And the last question, what will be your attitude because of this mod?
agg1401

Re: STK Mod?

Postby tempAnon093 » 21 Apr 2022, 03:24

Why do you want to import the cars and tracks into the SuperTuxKart engine, instead of just running Re-Volt? What are the parts which you want that SuperTuxKart has but Re-Volt does not have? I ask because it sounds like you are putting in a lot of effort.

What do you mean by "removing some mods from that SuperTuxKart"? SuperTuxKart is SuperTuxKart, it isn't modified! Do you just mean removing the tracks and cars and menu images, or something else?
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby agg1401 » 21 Apr 2022, 05:15

Hello, tempAnon093.

I have a very good project in mind. In this project, I will save a full kart racing game and turn it completely into an RC car game. Re-Volt will not be used outside the model of cars. I chose this game to completely reflect my own world.

I find it unnecessary because I won't be using some game modes. Don't get me wrong, all the mods in the game are a lot of fun. However, since some of them will be unnecessary in the mod I will do, I will delete them so that they do not load the game unnecessarily. I won't say these for now, but I will when the time comes.
agg1401

Postby eltomito » 21 Apr 2022, 15:55

agg1401 {l Wrote}: 1. Do I have to recompile after removing what I want to uninstall in that game?
3. How do I do a UVMap after importing the Re-Volt cars (left click of my mouse is garbage, we need to solve this)?

1)
If you want to remove game modes such as the Easter-egg hunt, follow the leader, battle, etc., then I think you will have to recompile after disabling these things in the source code, unless there's a switch for it somewhere in the configuration file.
2)
The karts are in the /usr/local/share/supertuxkart/data/karts/ folder (or some similarly named directory on Windows), so if you delete the karts from there, they'll disappear from the game. Tracks are in /usr/local/share/supertuxkart/data/tracks .
eltomito

Postby tempAnon093 » 22 Apr 2022, 02:14

agg1401 {l Wrote}:I will save a full kart racing game and turn it completely into an RC car game. Re-Volt will not be used outside the model of cars. I chose this game to completely reflect my own world..

Thank you for explaining. I mistakenly assumed you were trying to remake the entire game in STK.

agg1401 {l Wrote}: 4. And the last question, what will be your attitude because of this mod?

I am not a staff member, but SuperTuxKart code and assets are released under open licenses which encourage this kind of thing! Provided you properly give attribution/credit to the project and keep your project code open source (a condition of the GPL v3.0 license requires that if you modify the code and make the modified game public in some way, the modified source code must be also made available to the public) there shouldn't be a problem with the SuperTuxKart community. It would be great if you can contribute back any improvements (such as your new levels, which some STK players may enjoy to play as add-ons) but this isn't necessary.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby agg1401 » 23 Apr 2022, 07:19

eltomito {l Wrote}:
agg1401 {l Wrote}: 1. Do I have to recompile after removing what I want to uninstall in that game?

1)
If you want to remove game modes such as the Easter-egg hunt, follow the leader, battle, etc., then I think you will have to recompile after disabling these things in the source code, unless there's a switch for it somewhere in the configuration file.
2)
The karts are in the /usr/local/share/supertuxkart/data/karts/ folder (or some similarly named directory on Windows), so if you delete the karts from there, they'll disappear from the game. Tracks are in /usr/local/share/supertuxkart/data/tracks.

1: I will review it as soon as possible. I hope you have that settings file, otherwise I'll have to change their code to remove it from the game.
2: Thank you for the file path.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
agg1401 {l Wrote}:I will save a full kart racing game and turn it completely into an RC car game. Re-Volt will not be used outside the model of cars. I chose this game to completely reflect my own world..
Thank you for explaining. I mistakenly assumed you were trying to remake the entire game in STK.

I don't really have a big plan.

agg1401 {l Wrote}: 4. And the last question, what will be your attitude because of this mod?
I am not a staff member, but SuperTuxKart code and assets are released under open licenses which encourage this kind of thing! Provided you properly give attribution/credit to the project and keep your project code open source (a condition of the GPL v3.0 license requires that if you modify the code and make the modified game public in some way, the modified source code must be also made available to the public) there shouldn't be a problem with the SuperTuxKart community. It would be great if you can contribute back any improvements (such as your new levels, which some STK players may enjoy to play as add-ons) but this isn't necessary.

Do you mind if I license the cars and tracks as GPL? If the changes to be made will be coding, then I open github for the project.
agg1401

Postby tempAnon093 » 23 Apr 2022, 09:28

agg1401 {l Wrote}:Do you mind if I license the cars and tracks as GPL? If the changes to be made will be coding, then I open github for the project.

GPL is usually used for code, we mostly use a FOSS-compatible Creative Commons license for art assets like cars and tracks, like CC-BY-SA 4.0. ("Ensures that you receive credit for your work and that your work (and derivative works) remain freely available under the same license.") unless someone decides to use a more permissive license.

Technically "you can apply the GPL to any kind of work, as long as it is clear what constitutes the “source code” for the work" (source: gnu.org), so I think that will be fine if you have a reason you want to use GPL! I think Creative Commons is more straight-forward for art assets :)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby agg1401 » 23 Apr 2022, 11:00

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
agg1401 {l Wrote}:Do you mind if I license the cars and tracks as GPL? If the changes to be made will be coding, then I open github for the project.

GPL is usually used for code, we mostly use a FOSS-compatible Creative Commons license for art assets like cars and tracks, like CC-BY-SA 4.0. ("Ensures that you receive credit for your work and that your work (and derivative works) remain freely available under the same license.") unless someone decides to use a more permissive license.

Technically "you can apply the GPL to any kind of work, as long as it is clear what constitutes the “source code” for the work" (source: gnu.org), so I think that will be fine if you have a reason you want to use GPL! I think Creative Commons is more straight-forward for art assets :)

Hi.

That's the situation actually. I will start soon. If I can't, I'll ask for help.
agg1401