Blending Textures

Blending Textures

Postby sridharkumar » 29 Jun 2021, 19:14

I cannot know how to blend textures. I searched this mostly everywhere including stack exchange. For example i wand to make a sand road slowly turning into normal concrete road. I have seen this type of blending in main tracks.

More info:
I am using blender 2.79 if I should use that to mix a texture. If Gimp should be used, I have the latest version. Please tell me as soon as you can the method to blend textures.

Example of texture that is blended in hacienda:
trailrock2dust.jpg

Sridhar
sridharkumar

Re: Blending Textures

Postby tempAnon093 » 30 Jun 2021, 01:03

The way I would try that is:
In GIMP, open each texture (one per layer) so they're exactly on top of each other, same size.
Select the bottom half of the top layer with a rectangle and feather by half the image height (Select->Feather...), then delete and see what happens

Another useful tip (but not for this example) is selecting the eraser tool, set the size to a large one and the hardness to 0
Then you will get a smooth removal of the top layer so it blends into the bottom, the bigger the brush size the smoother.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby sridharkumar » 30 Jun 2021, 06:07

Sorry, i am new to GIMP. But, can you explain me a bit more detailed? I have no idea what feather is.
sridharkumar

Postby tempAnon093 » 30 Jun 2021, 09:05

Feathering is kind of like smoothening the selection, so if I make a rectangle selection and feather it, then instead of a sharp edge I'll get a smooth transition.

See these images, I have two layers and make a rectangle selection.
0.png.jpg
1.png.jpg

If I delete the selection now, I get this.
2.png.jpg

But if I don't delete it and feather that selection (image 3) by about 200 pixels, then when I delete it, I get image 4.
3.png.jpg
4.png.jpg

Test it out by making a small square, feathering it, then filling or removing it. Adjust the number of pixels to feather as you want.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby sridharkumar » 30 Jun 2021, 10:24

Understood. Thanks for the help! This is very useful for my new track and also i will update evergreen forest.
sridharkumar