Split screen MP put player names in the controller settings?

Split screen MP put player names in the controller settings?

Postby cedric » 17 Apr 2021, 07:57

When starting a split screen multiplayer session, at some point the players all have to press a button to join. The first one to do so will be the master and gets the name of the user logged in. The second is guest, the 3rd person is guest 1 and so on. Then everybody has to choose a kart, and press the button again when they are ready.

This works ok, but it has the downside that the name of the player is dependent on the order they press the button, so it changes between races.

In my case, people each choose a controller / steering wheel when we sit down to play the game, and we rarely swap controllers after that. Therefore I would like to have a field in the controller settings, to enter a players name there.

Are there problems with this idea that I have not considered yet?

I'm running supertuxkart 1.2 on arch linux
cedric

Re: Split screen MP put player names in the controller setti

Postby QwertyChouskie » 17 Apr 2021, 18:44

I believe if you have multiple STK users, players can select said users in multiplayer. It doesn't have to be an online user even, local is fine.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Re: Split screen MP put player names in the controller setti

Postby altcoin » 17 Apr 2021, 21:07

cedric {l Wrote}:In my case, people each choose a controller / steering wheel when we sit down to play the game, and we rarely swap controllers after that. Therefore I would like to have a field in the controller settings, to enter a players name there.

I really like that idea. I assume it could be implemented using the unique mac address of each remote.
Even better (in my opinion and use case), instead of assigning a permanent name to a specific remote in the controller settings, simply make STK remember the last player that used this remote. That way, each person would have to select their name before the first game, (they would need to do this anyway unless they always use the same remote), and STK would default that player to that remote as long as the remote is connected.
altcoin