How to fix bumpy road on tracks

How to fix bumpy road on tracks

Postby tempAnon093 » 16 Apr 2021, 08:14

Most new track makers, including myself, have had an issue where the road ends up being bumpy on banked corners in STK, even when the curve is smooth in the editor. (The first image doesn't look too bad but you can really notice it when you drive.)
Bump0.jpg

Bump2.jpg

The reason for this is because the rectangles ('quads') are automatically turned into triangles when exporting. These big triangles end up making the road angular and bumpy to drive on.

To smoothen the road, subdivide the road surface so that instead of being one big rectangle, it's many smaller rectangles. If your road is 6 units wide, I suggest setting 'number of cuts' to 5 or more (there are many tutorials on subdividing, it's quick and simple). The more cuts, the smoother the road is, but also more triangles it creates which make it take more computing power to render, so it's a waste to make too many cuts (4-6 should be smooth enough for perfect driving, 10 cuts is probably a waste).

Here I've only made 2 cuts, but you can still see the massive difference.
sub.jpg

sub2.jpg

I hope this hint gets put in the official documentation or any future tutorials since it's a common issue.
Also, remember to upload your track source Blender files when you create an add-on!
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: How to fix bumpy road on tracks

Postby fracture » 17 Apr 2021, 00:18

I don't create tracks (don't even know how to nor do I have the time to make them) but I think this is something every track builder should know how to do. It bothers me when I play a track and the road is so bumpy you have a hard time trying to play the track. Remind me of this if I ever decide to create an addons track instead of just reviewing them.
fracture

Postby tempAnon093 » 17 Apr 2021, 08:55

fracture {l Wrote}:I don't create tracks (don't even know how to nor do I have the time to make them) but I think this is something every track builder should know how to do. It bothers me when I play a track and the road is so bumpy you have a hard time trying to play the track. Remind me of this if I ever decide to create an addons track instead of just reviewing them.

Will do. Also, if you see any track editors who have done this (since many don't use the forum), then feel free to politely mention this post to them.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby kimden » 06 May 2021, 09:19

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Also, remember to upload your track source Blender files when you create an add-on!

There is a problem with approvals, however. It seems that sources are mostly approved only when the track is uploaded - e.g. the source for my track which was uploaded half a year ago is still pending and not even shown for the public.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden