Auto-update add-ons list?

Auto-update add-ons list?

Postby forum » 12 Apr 2021, 14:33

Hello!

Would you developers consider providing the add-ons list in STK an auto-update feature? As it is now, you always have to click several buttons to see any changes after having applied a filter. E.g., after selecting tracks and filtering for only those that received an update during the last 2 weeks, first nothing happens. Only after clicking e.g. "Not installed" and then "Installed", the list of those tracks gets updated. If this is a problem only occurring to me, then please apologise for my post here. Else, maybe you have an idea if/how this could be amended? Understanding that this is certainly of low prio, thank you anyway for maintaining and still working on this great game! :)
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Re: Auto-update add-ons list?

Postby kimden » 12 Apr 2021, 21:17

I assume it gets updated every time you restart stk? I only get this slow type of update when I know a new addon appeared while my STK window was open, which happens rare enough
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby forum » 13 Apr 2021, 04:30

This seems to be a misunderstanding.

I mean that the list of e.g. tracks does not change when you change the filter from e.g. mark 3 to mark 2.5, or from updated during last week to last month. In order to have the list of shown tracks updated, you first have to toggle between installed and not installed. Either this is a bug, or just done like this on purpose, because there was no better way at that time.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby Heuchi1 » 13 Apr 2021, 08:04

The same happens if you enter a search string. Let's say, you want to look for Lost Chasm and already are viewing the tracks list:
Once you enter "Lost Chasm" in the search field at the top left, nothing happens. Even pressing <Enter> doesn't do anything.
You have to click on the "Tracks" button again or change the "All/Installed/Not Installed"-field for the list to change.

I agree, that this is only of low prio, but it would still be nice, if the list was changing as you change/enter the search string/options, as is the case with most modern applications.
Heuchi1

Postby forum » 13 Apr 2021, 08:13

Yes, exactly as you described it - this is a general problem in the add-ons screen.

@Huki
Is it possible to stimulate a toggle from installed to uninstalled and back again in order to force-update the list?
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby QwertyChouskie » 13 Apr 2021, 19:21

You're supposed to click the magnifying glass icon to actually perform the search, though I agree this is unintuitive. At a minimum hitting enter in the text field should do the same thing, though auto-updating would be best.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby forum » 13 Apr 2021, 20:32

Is this difficult to change? I am not a developer, so please forgive me my ignorant question. ;) I am really interested to learn how things work with regard to source code, pull requests, and changes. So if somebody could please give me a hint how to locate the add-ons menu source code, I would like to have a look - not promising anything, but willing to try. :)
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby QwertyChouskie » 13 Apr 2021, 20:52

It should be in https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-cod ... screen.cpp

Specifically check the eventCallback function, you'd want to check for updates from any of the search-related buttons/textbox, rather than just the "reload" button. (You can get the element names from https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-cod ... een.stkgui)
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie