idea for supertuxkart update

idea for supertuxkart update

Postby hugh-morey » 12 Jan 2021, 21:19

addon cars can come with there own powerups that can only be used by that addon car.
hugh-morey

Re: idea for supertuxkart update

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 12 Jan 2021, 22:33

hugh-morey {l Wrote}:addon cars can come with there own powerups that can only be used by that addon car.

If That Happens, There Should Be A Setting For It.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby eltomito » 13 Jan 2021, 22:28

hugh-morey {l Wrote}:addon cars can come with there own powerups that can only be used by that addon car.

I think that would be hard to balance for online races.
eltomito

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 14 Jan 2021, 20:33

eltomito {l Wrote}:

I think that would be hard to balance for online races.

Again,
There Should Be An Setting For It.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby kimden » 21 Jan 2021, 00:28

A kart that has a custom powerup requires the creator to incorporate that powerup into the item system of the game. That means, the new powerup should appear with different probabilities depending on the rank in the race, and those probabilities should be tweaked so that the kart isn't over- or underpowered. This requires much work. So I highly doubt this possibility will be introduced to addons (whose quality really differs - some creators have highly detailed models while some karts surely lack creator's care. Should the item system be ruined by a random person who makes "just a kart"? I guess no).

It probably would be interesting to have for official karts as their quality is checked after every update/revamp, but it is still not easy. There are 18 official karts, so this also requires much work to come up with a good set of powerups.

I do not quite understand, what is meant as "a setting" to balance online races? Does it mean the players can choose whether the items are balanced?!
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby QwertyChouskie » 21 Jan 2021, 01:33

A perhaps better option would be to allow karts to use custom models for e.g. the bubblegum and swatter like Nolok's kart does. It opens some interesting creative possibilities without messing with balancing, and would also be significantly easier to implement.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 21 Jan 2021, 13:07

use custom models for e.g. the bubblegum and swatter like Nolok's kart does.

You Know, I Never Understond Why Nolok's Kart Is The Only One With Special Models.
Like, Sure It Makes Him Unique But Also Why?
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby eltomito » 21 Jan 2021, 18:01

KiyanTheBluePenguin {l Wrote}:You Know, I Never Understond Why Nolok's Kart Is The Only One With Special Models.

I think because Nolok is the supervillain in the story mode, he gets to have his own special super evil power-ups. I always thought that the Nolok hammer was also longer than the regular swatter and his gum bigger but maybe they aren't. Maybe they just look more evil :)
eltomito

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 21 Jan 2021, 19:04

eltomito {l Wrote}:
KiyanTheBluePenguin {l Wrote}:You Know, I Never Understond Why Nolok's Kart Is The Only One With Special Models.

I think because Nolok is the supervillain in the story mode, he gets to have his own special super evil power-ups. I always thought that the Nolok hammer was also longer than the regular swatter and his gum bigger but maybe they aren't. Maybe they just look more evil :)

Understond.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby Alayan » 23 Jan 2021, 19:42

eltomito {l Wrote}:

When it comes to gameplay, his powerups work the same way as the regular ones.
Alayan
STK Moderator