Advice/help requested for Expert challenge

Advice/help requested for Expert challenge

Postby Seawinder » 31 Oct 2020, 03:29

Hope this is an appropriate place to post this. I've started playing STK 1.1 in the past couple of months and am working my way through the challenges. I've completed all the intermediate ones and am 2/3 through the experts. I'm stuck on the Cocoa Temple time trial -- beat the replay: no matter which route I follow, and even picking up/using all the nitros, I'm losing 8 to 10 seconds per lap to the replay, even when I use the same kart (Suzanne). There's simply no way I can find to make my kart fast enough to be competitive. Can anybody offer any help/advice on this? Thanks!
Seawinder

Re: Advice/help requested for Expert challenge

Postby tempAnon093 » 31 Oct 2020, 13:58

It's certainly fine to post it here, and don't worry, other players including me have found it difficult too.
Someone made a thread about this last year, where some good advice was given. I hope it helps :)
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 86&p=85441
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Seawinder » 31 Oct 2020, 17:51

Thanks tempA for the link -- very informative. Watching the embedded video in one post, I was struck by how long the player stays in a skid. This is a feature about which I was unaware. I've so far only used the skid in short bursts for fear of oversteering. Is there some trick to that?
Seawinder

Postby Alayan » 31 Oct 2020, 19:00

SuperTuxKart is not a sim racer. It's a kart racer with unrealistic physics.

The important thing here is that karts have perfect grip. How well they can turn depends on speed and kart type, but you can at most go at the limit and the kart won't steer more. You can't go beyond the limit and have the kart lose grip and crash.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby Seawinder » 31 Oct 2020, 22:03

Alayan {l Wrote}:SuperTuxKart is not a sim racer. It's a kart racer with unrealistic physics.

The important thing here is that karts have perfect grip. How well they can turn depends on speed and kart type, but you can at most go at the limit and the kart won't steer more. You can't go beyond the limit and have the kart lose grip and crash.

I think I used the wrong term -- by oversteer I meant to steer too tight a turn and go off the track to the inside. Is there some keystroke combination besides direction arrow plus v key that allows a skid/drift that follows a wider radius curve? I can't get it to work. Thanks!
Last edited by Seawinder on 31 Oct 2020, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Seawinder

Postby QwertyChouskie » 31 Oct 2020, 22:27

When in a skid, turning in the opposite direction makes the skid shallow.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby tempAnon093 » 01 Nov 2020, 04:22

Seawinder {l Wrote}:Is there some keystroke combination besides direction arrow plus v key that allows a skid/drift that follows a wider radius curve? I can't get it to work. Thanks!

Once you start a drift (arrow + skid/drift), you can either keep holding the arrow key (smallest radius), let it go (medium) or let go and press the other direction key (widest). Of course, you still need to hold the skid key while doing these.
You can also accelerate and brake while drifting, which I didn't realize for a while.

PS: Last year I had some fun hacking the radius settings in the config file, making the minimum radius negative instead of positive (+0.2 -> -0.8, large radius is +0.8).
https://peertube.linuxrocks.online/vide ... 601a9cbdd9
That's modding the game, not normal gameplay ;)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Seawinder » 01 Nov 2020, 17:49

Thanks everyone for the help. I now see better how to do the drifting, although I think it'll be a while before I beat the ghost at Cocoa Temple.
Seawinder