Creating Track with Blender 2.9

Creating Track with Blender 2.9

Postby Kitetsu » 21 Oct 2020, 19:15

Hello,

i'm trying to create a track with Blender 2.90.1

I actually got this main problems:

- I cant build / show any textures on any objects.
The tutorials says not to use materials but use the 'unroll' method. But this wont work. Is there any problem building tracks in blender 2.9+ ?

The second on:
I'm placing a course driveline with the antenna like said in the tutorial. also using 2 checklines.
driveline -> activate checkline1
checline1 -> activate checkline2
checkline2 -> activate lap

But somehow this won't work either. It's not counting any laps.

Is this an actuell bug too? :think:

Anyone got the same problems? Or another (newer) tutorial?

Greetings

Kitetsu
Kitetsu

Re: Creating Track with Blender 2.9

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 21 Oct 2020, 21:23

Hi, Kitetsu!

Are you trying with Worldblender exporter https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14508&sid=26d8be924fbd2770c588eee29f0b796e, right?
Wait for Worldblender reply. I believe he can help you with this.
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby tempAnon093 » 21 Oct 2020, 22:39

Also, it can help if you upload your .blend file so we can look for issues. (Feel free to remove any personal information like track creator name, your user name in the export location and other file paths, etc., if you want)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Worldblender » 22 Oct 2020, 00:00

Track exporting should work for at least basic cases. I would prefer if you can upload your Blender source file, so I can take a look, and possibly fix any bugs. That's why I have a grace period between working release and the scripts being officially merged.
You can also run STK from the command-line with the options "--check-debug" and/or "--track-debug" to visually see the checklines and drivelines, respectively.
Kitetsu {l Wrote}:
- I cant build / show any textures on any objects.
The tutorials says not to use materials but use the 'unroll' method. But this wont work. Is there any problem building tracks in blender 2.9+ ?

The second on:
I'm placing a course driveline with the antenna like said in the tutorial. also using 2 checklines.
driveline -> activate checkline1
checline1 -> activate checkline2
checkline2 -> activate lap

But somehow this won't work either. It's not counting any laps.

Is this an actuell bug too? :think:

Ignore the tutorial parts that tell you to ignore materials; you really do need them in order to have textures show up. The tutorial simply hasn't been updated to work with Blender 2.80+ yet. It's easy as having a node-based setup with at least:
  • Principled BSDF shader
  • Image Texture linked to the above shader's "Base Color" input
  • UV Map node linked to the above texture node's "Vector" input (recommended)
There is most likely something wrong with your setup, possibly caused by the checklines being placed at the wrong heights. They should be touching the driveline for them to actually work.
Worldblender

Postby Kitetsu » 26 Oct 2020, 19:27

Hey,

I Attached my blend file and the texture.

This is just a first test map, so don't wonder how it looks like :lol:

I'm going to build a map for me and my workmates, tho we play STK a lot :D

Here's it:

- I tried to assign the texture by Material. After copying it into the export track folder, this one is being shown.
Hows it with just coloring the Cubes in e.g. blue? I tried this, but they are just non colored.

- I assigned the CheckLines the same hight as the MainDriveLine as u said. Just for my testings, the curse is a flat one so far to make it easy for testing.
But this won't work either. I hope you're able to find the things i'm misstaking :think:

I realy like to go on creating some tracks, once i testet everything out :D

The next days I also wanna test out to create tracks in UE4 and import them to Blender for exporting as tracks.
I made a first try in building the main surface and it worked very well. i'm planing to test this a bit more with material textures and more.

This is just a test for me, because I'm a bit more familiar with the UE4 Editor than with Blender :lol:

I'm looking forward for your results

thanks so far

Kitetsu
Attachments
workbench.jpg
workbench_textur_test.blend
(930.09 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Kitetsu

Postby Worldblender » 26 Oct 2020, 21:22

Kitetsu {l Wrote}:- I tried to assign the texture by Material. After copying it into the export track folder, this one is being shown.
Hows it with just coloring the Cubes in e.g. blue? I tried this, but they are just non colored.

- I assigned the CheckLines the same hight as the MainDriveLine as u said. Just for my testings, the curse is a flat one so far to make it easy for testing.
But this won't work either. I hope you're able to find the things i'm misstaking :think:

• As I have ported the majority of the code from the Blender 2.79 version of the scripts (that assume usage of the old Blender Internal Render engine), certain functionality does not take Blender materials into account yet. However, you can use vertex coloring on the cubes as a workaround.
  • The name of the checklines (not their object names) has to match their activation name. This is rather confusing, so I would like to change this so as to simplify it and make it less confusing, perhaps by reducing it to the activation name.
BTW, I have enabled using hide_render (the camera icon, hidden by default) to prevent certain objects from being exported, as an alternative of using the STK-specific "ignore" object type. Expect that some functionality will be gradually migrated to use Blender-native ones in the near future.
Worldblender

Postby XGhost » 27 Oct 2020, 10:08

I am currently working on a rewrite of the Blender scripts based on the awesome work Worldblender already did. Tackling some workflow issues and making the asset creating process for STK as "Blender-ish" as possible. This includes having the STK shaders simulated as shader nodes in Blender and making the material export process clearer. We are still very well in the process of adapting to Blender 2.8 and later, not much is tested and not all the quirks have been discovered yet ;) .

You can track my development on the new add-on on this fork: https://github.com/JulianSchoenbaechler ... projects/1
Currently, my fork however does not really work for development yet, as I broke many things for the restructuring. This is all still heavy WIP, and I will announce and create a pull request as soon as it will get actually usable.
XGhost