STK 1.2 RC1 arm - keyboard not working well (Fire TV 4K)

STK 1.2 RC1 arm - keyboard not working well (Fire TV 4K)

Postby forum » 21 Jul 2020, 07:45

Hello,

A wired keyboard does not work well, but it is very complicated to explain this here. I try...
I use the settings and the players menu, i.e. where new players are added, edited or players removed. So let me add a player.

First problem (maybe not directly related to the keyboard handling?):
The page starts by default with the active focus on the first element, which is "New Online Account". That is ok; however, immediately a black box pops up, but that belongs to Amazon's Fire TV behavior I guess: That box shows numbers and letters and it's a screen-keyboard. If it is possible to hide that when a real keyboard is attached, that would be much better. Then, also another problem would be avoided: If a user does not want to add a "New Online Account" but an "Existing Online Account", no unnecessary screen-keyboard would pop up, which the user first has to close before he can go to the second element "Existing Online Account". In other words: If at all a screen-keyboard is needed (i.e. only if no real hardware keyboard is attached), then it should first pop up after the user has selected the element where keyboard input will be needed. Now, it pops up immediately.

Then there are other problems with that screen-keyboard (maybe you have no influence possibilities on it): E g. when deleting a mistyped letter, that does not show up on the screen-keyboard and also on the text field behind (STK's GUI) the correction does not seem to have effect.

As far as I remember, none of these problems occurred with STK 1.1 on the Fire TV with a wired keyboard. Everything worked quite nicely (well, I needed the keyboard only rarely, i.e. for adding players).

I have not tested a wireless keyboard yet, because I do not have it back yet.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Re: STK 1.2 RC1 arm - keyboard not working well (Fire TV 4K)

Postby benau » 21 Jul 2020, 07:49

it's android tv setting to hide screen keyboard if hardware keyboard attach?
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 21 Jul 2020, 07:50

hows other android app working? Does it open screen keyboard if hardware keyboard attach?
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 21 Jul 2020, 07:57

also have you tried delete the mistype char with onscreen keyboard (using remote dpad)
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 21 Jul 2020, 08:00

https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-hid ... v-box.html

Try this guide, due to architecture difference we can no longer hide keyboard in stk, it requires system option
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 21 Jul 2020, 08:10

can you try in other application and see if delete char possible with hardware keyboard?
benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 21 Jul 2020, 10:06

benau {l Wrote}:it's android tv setting to hide screen keyboard if hardware keyboard attach?

On Amazon's Fire TV (Fire OS), there is no such setting available.

I do not have an Android TV and cannot test it on this device (which is different from Amazon's Fire TV, I assume).

benau {l Wrote}:also have you tried delete the mistype char with onscreen keyboard (using remote dpad)

Yes, also with onscreen keyboard, but that did not work properly: After leaving the onscreen keyboard, the mistyped character was still in the text box. Besides, the text box of the onscreen keyboard never shows what has been typed so far (is always empty). It never occurred to me in other apps like this.

benau {l Wrote}:https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-hide-the-on-screen-keyboard-on-an-android-tv-box.html

Try this guide, due to architecture difference we can no longer hide keyboard in stk, it requires system option

Unfortunately, I cannot install this on Amazon's Fire TV - well, at least there is no difference in settings available, and the "Null keyboard" app does not show up on the Fire TV (maybe wrong architecture?).

benau {l Wrote}:can you try in other application and see if delete char possible with hardware keyboard?

Yes, in other apps on the Fire TV, the same wired keyboard works fine with regard to deleting characters. Maybe I should give it another try (just to exclude that the keyboard was maybe not properly attached/plugged).
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby Noyan » 01 Mar 2022, 08:48

Your best bet would be getting an OTG cable connected through the fire stick.
If the problem persist try the several solution mentioned in the guide

Ref:
https://bestdroidplayer.com/fire-tv-sti ... t-working/.
Noyan