Team Race Idea

Team Race Idea

Postby George Calibur » 21 Mar 2020, 06:38

Did no one ever through about creating Team Race like this?
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
George Calibur

Re: Team Race Idea

Postby RandomPerson » 21 Mar 2020, 07:43

Dude can you please ask your questions on Discord or irc? A bit annoying to have so many topics here!
Discord: https://discord.gg/m272UTf
IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23supertuxkart
RandomPerson

Postby dulsi » 21 Mar 2020, 13:19

RandomPerson {l Wrote}:Dude can you please ask your questions on Discord or irc? A bit annoying to have so many topics here!

Not everyone wants to use discord or irc. Forum also have the advantage of keeping a conversation together and easily allowing others to find out about a subject.

I think a team race feature could be a nice addition.
dulsi

Postby kimden » 21 Mar 2020, 18:37

Someone ever thought about having team races.

But please provide more explanations, what features do you suggest, etc. What do you exactly mean by 'team race'? It has many variations, and one should be specific enough (obviously because implementation is an exact thing). Otherwise you are starting a topic just to say 'I want this' about a wide thing lol

Should teammates help together? How do powerups work in this case? Can they help teammates or only harm rivals? What are the scores and why implementing them? Why do you prefer the kind of 'team race' like on a screenshot and not another? Why do you think this is in STK style, and how you see it incorporated in the game? Why not having more than 2 teams?

There are so many points to discuss, but you say nothing and want others to ask it instead of you. But people have their own time, so why not explaining directly what do you want?

Yes, team races would be nice, I agree. But this requires work.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby George Calibur » 21 Mar 2020, 19:55

Sheesh, Calm Down Kimmy! (And RandomPerson)
1. Powerups - Red items hurts Blue racers and Vice versa. But helping teammates sound Great!
2.It has team Mode only in Soccer, So why not in Race and Battle Mode!
3. Style of Stk? Hm, not Thinking about it!
4. 3 teams should be enough!
5. Team GP! Total points in a race based on racer's position!
George Calibur

Postby RandomPerson » 21 Mar 2020, 20:02

Good idea to have something like Team Racing. But please, say it more precisely what you want! Maybe you can even give an example?
RandomPerson

Postby QwertyChouskie » 21 Mar 2020, 21:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IR9hDg-tbI is definitely a good watch here :)
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby George Calibur » 22 Mar 2020, 17:17

Example: Teams are choose by randomizer or Player choice.
Track choice - default
Points are based on each Racer! If not with points, with time, being collected and splitted by the number of racers!
Team colors for each kart, which can be painted!
In offline Mode, if The player's team wins, the Ending ceremony shows the team with their winning animations!
George Calibur

Postby kimden » 12 Feb 2021, 23:34

I made something to have teams in public Grands Prix (as teams mostly make sense in a series of races imo) - currently, there can be at most 6 teams (obviously the more teams possible, the better, but for now I sticked to emojis of corresponding colors), team standings can be shown by the same /standings command as individual standings. It looks roughly like this:

Players are highlighted in the lobby with their team color (if they belong to a team):
(The square brackets seem to be not so good-looking as for me, I'll probably remove them, they just remained from the "category" thing which I added to distinguish soccer teams in tournaments, etc.)

During the race, if a player belongs to a team, the kart is painted accordingly. For now, it's better to use no fixed color (= "pick from slider") in the settings before going to a server with teams, because then you won't see your team's color on your kart and you'll see your main color (but for others your kart will have team's color, or your usual color if you have no team). However, it's probably not a big deal for a player to change that for a while (compared to recompiling a hacked version to have custom team colors in soccer, for example).

I'm not sure whether this should be present only on a GP-like server, it seems like many players like to have sometimes teams in an usual race too. (Or maybe it's just an effect of something new and unusual, lol.) For now teams are available on most Frankfurts, but you need me to set the team (as for GP you need an organizer to change teams anyway, and for other servers it originally wasn't planned ¯\_(._.)_/¯ ).
kimden

Postby tempAnon093 » 13 Feb 2021, 02:13

That looks fun! Thanks :)
In the future, do you think a server could automatically assign a team on entry (kind of like the soccer lobbies), or have a user command to assign themselves to a team?
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby kimden » 14 Feb 2021, 13:07

Sure, user command is not difficult. Automatical assignment is harder because there can be more than 2 teams, but I'm open to ideas
kimden

Postby kimden » 14 Feb 2021, 13:13

We also plan to host a team GP on Friday, February 19, 20:00 UTC (check your time: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=team+gp&iso=20210219T20&p1=1440&ah=1), there won't be many tracks (7-13) and they will be probably chosen ingame, so I think it will last for at most one hour. However, we can do more GPs after that if there are enough people :D

(Whoever plans to join, consider switching to a default kart color for a while for your own color convenience)
kimden

Postby kimden » 20 Feb 2021, 13:11

kimden