STK 1.1.0 + Joystick + Gamepad Issue

STK 1.1.0 + Joystick + Gamepad Issue

Postby 1989N1 » 18 Feb 2020, 08:58

Hi,

We are playing STK on a Windows 10 PC with a classical Joystick and a XBOX One S Controller (in SplitScreen Mode).
Everything worked fine for two days.

But now, the XBOX controller does not work anymore in STK if the Joystick is connected too. It is listing in the input device list, but button presses are not recongnized (The keyboard and the XBOX controller are colored black, the joystick is red). But the controller works if only the controller is connected.

What have I tried already:
- Reinstall STK (no change...)
- Remove all controllers in the windows system settings and add them again
- Test the controllers in windows joy.cpl (work as expected)
- Install STK on a different laptop (works as expected, in the input device list both controllers are red)

Does anybody have some ideas and hints how I get this working again?

Thanks in advance,
Hannes
1989N1

Re: STK 1.1.0 + Joystick + Gamepad Issue

Postby benau » 18 Feb 2020, 09:38

I'm planing to rewrite the controller system before putting stk on steam soon, you need to wait around 6-9 months....

Right now the controller system is outdated and not reliable

you can see if it works better soon....
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 05 Apr 2020, 04:14

benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 14 May 2020, 10:48

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and this is my second post. ;)

I play STK on Amazon's Fire TV (1st gen. box and 4K stick) but cannot use both "Snakebyte Game:Pad Android" controllers, i.e. STK's controller settings shows only a controller once, and when going to multiplayer/split screen, after signing one player with one controller, the other controller is not recognised. Before entering this screen (where players are assigned and cars selected), both controllers can be used to navigate through the menus. So I assume that only when entering this screen, the differentiation between two controllers has a problem (besides that only one controller is shown in the controller settings).

Compared to STK on a Windows 10 PC: Here also only one controller is shown in the controller settings of STK, but it's name is followed by: (2x) or (x2) - sorry, I cannot remember right now. And under Windows 10, both controllers work great in multiplayer/split screen mode, i.e. both can assign and select players and cars and can steer during the races without any problems.

Finally, I need to add that both in Amazon's Fire TV (box and stick) and on PC under Windows 10 (Pro, 64bit), both controllers are connected via USB cable and appear in the settings of the respective device.

Do you have some hints for me what I could do to get both controllers working also on Fire TV/Android?

Which logs could I offer from Fire TV if that helps?

Thanks for your support - and stay healthy! :)
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby QwertyChouskie » 14 May 2020, 20:07

Try this beta build that includes the new gamepad handling code: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t.stk_beta

It should, at least in theory, support multiple gamepads now.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby forum » 17 May 2020, 07:43

Thanks for the hint! The beta from Google Play store works well on my Android devices but not on the Fire TV, where STK beta force-closes immediately after start, i.e. there is not even this grey progress bar showing.

However, the latest apk from git (armv7, 05 May) works great also on the Fire TV. It recognizes all kinds of controllers: the original Amazon Game Controller (that works only on the 1st gen Fire TV box), two controllers connected via USB-Bluetooth dongles (only possible on the 1st gen Fire TV box, as the Sticks have no USB connectivity), and two controllers paired directly via Bluetooth.

Interestingly, the settings on STK only show one entry for two similar types of controllers, i.e. it is not possible to have different button assignments on two different controllers that are both connected the same way and are off the same model. But that is nothing I want to complain about. It is really great to be able to use the controllers.

Another finding some might be interested in: I connected a Logitech K800 keyboard (via USB dongle, no cable) to the 1st gen Fire TV Stick. Whereas its arrow keys can be used for navigation through the menu and settings of STK, it is impossible to enter keys, e.g. for the players' names: no letters appear when typing. I connected another PC keyboard via USB cable alternatively and that worked also for entering names. I do not know if this concerns anybody else, just wanted to let you know.

Thanks again for the hint regarding the beta, for all the great work that so enthusiastic people invest in their free time into this - and most important (I believe): stay healthy! :) :heart:
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby benau » 17 May 2020, 08:58

hmm where do you get the apk of git (armv7, 05 May)? I think the beta in google should be the same as this one:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/supert ... it20200511
we only have git20200511....

Would be good if you can enable crash feedback in google play so i can see what's wrong from crash backtrace.....

Does they key input work in non-STK in Fire TV stick, ie can you type characters with it in other app?
benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 17 May 2020, 09:41

This one:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/supert ... k/download

Since there is no Google framework on the Fire TV, I installed it on my Samsung S7, extracted the apk with apkextractor, and pushed the apk with apk2fire to Fire TV. Maybe something went wrong during these steps. I will try again and compare the crc of the apks (Google beta vs. SourceForge beta download after all these steps - just to see what went wrong there).

How could I make use of crash analytics on the Fire TV? As said before, there is no Google framework available. I have developer options enabled on the Fire TV and could also enable USB debugging (if that helped), but it is not rooted, so I cannot have ssh on it for logs directly on the Fire TV (unless there is some other way getting these).

Finally, yes, I will also check and report regarding the wireless Logitech keyboard - when the Fire TV is not in use by the kids. ;)

PS - well, it is possible (info for interested users):
https://developer.amazon.com/de/docs/fi ... evice.html
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-connect- ... k-via-adb/

I.e., first enable adb on fire tv. Then, from remote pc or mobile with adb installed:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
adb connect <fire TV ip>:5555

From there on, adb shell is our friend - see some examples there for the fire tv:
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remotely ... k-via-adb/

PS2 - sorry about my fire tv-specific stuff here:
It seems that adb over network does not work while a game (STK) is running on the foreground. I can connect but the connection is lost when the game is continued. Hmm, maybe it's not worth to further look into this (unless other fire TV owners have interest).
Last edited by forum on 17 May 2020, 10:37, edited 3 times in total.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby benau » 17 May 2020, 10:13

Well if thats not directly get from google play then crash report may not work...

Anyway if 20200511 works for you then it's good
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 17 May 2020, 10:15

Actually we don't distribute apk in google play but only aab now....

So apkextractor may not work... (It only installed for a specific arch and screen size in your S7)
benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 17 May 2020, 10:24

Yes, of course you are right - it's because of the different architecture. When installing via Google Play store, this is not so obvious for most of the users - well, it was not for me. :blush:

I still owe you feedback regarding the keyboard. Please bear with me, I do so asap.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby forum » 24 May 2020, 18:13

benau {l Wrote}:Does they key input work in non-STK in Fire TV stick, ie can you type characters with it in other app?

Sorry that it took me so long to test this. Yes, I can enter characters via the Logitech K400r e.g. in Firefox on the 4K Stick. And this works also for settings of the stick, e.g. Amazon account email address and password, Wifi key, and parental control PIN. My Logitech keyboard has a German key layout; however, the Fire TV stick recognizes it with US layout, which cannot be changed without root (I was told). But this is no problem, as I got accustomed to the different layouts over the past years, using different keyboards. ;)

The K400r - or rather its remote USB receiver dongle plugged into a USB hub that is connected to the Fire TV stick 4K via an Y-OTG-cable - shows up in STK's settings as "Logitech USB Receiver (x2)". When I assign the "A" key to "Fire", this key binding shows up as "Gamepad button 63". And B=81, C=79, etc. Do you want the others as well? Would it help? This has (imo) nothing to do with the problem that neither player names nor passwords can be entered with this keyboard, but I found it interesting to see these key bindings.

There is (per default) also a "Keyboard 0" showing up in the controls settings. However, I cannot assign anything there with the K400r (nothing happens).

Is there anything else I can do to help finding out why this wireless keyboard works not as expected in STK beta from git?

PS:

I wonder why this wireless keyboard appears with "(x2)".

In total, I see:
  • Keyboard 0
  • Logitech USB Receiver (x2) [note from me: Appears like this also with the keyboard powered off]
  • USB GAMEPAD (x2) [note from me: working perfectly in STK and STK beta]
  • lightning-device [note from me: What is this? Something about HDMI/CEC? It cannot be the USB hub or Y-OTG cable, as it still shows up when unplugged.]
  • Amazon Fire TV Remote
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby benau » 24 May 2020, 19:45

well because android API is stupid..... Image

let me think of some good solution Image
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 25 May 2020, 06:47

maybe this can be fixed with SDL_StartTextInput!
benau
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 25 May 2020, 07:06

Whatever you say - I have no clue. * blush *

But I can certainly help testing. Is it possible to install different versions from git in parallel on an Android/Fire OS device? Would the icons look different?

Another minor problem (does it fit here or better in an extra thread?):

When another player is added and there user goes to the second line of the name (i.e. the online name) and enters the first character, then the local name of the first player is prefilled (before the just entered character). Prefilling of the online name with the local name is a feature, I guess, and it works nicely for a first player. But I am sure it is not intended to prefill this field of another player with the first player's local name. Correct? How can I help? I have never used but before.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby benau » 25 May 2020, 10:23

Will give you a test apk soon so you can adb install -r
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 03 Jul 2020, 21:10

can you try stk.kein.hk/hkpig/android-debug.apk ?
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 11 Jul 2020, 17:27

benau
STK Moderator