Like the idea?

Yes.
100%
No.
No votes

Total votes : 7

Tips manager

Postby dumaosen » 10 Nov 2019, 02:50

This is an idea of tips manager. It can help players discover more features of supertuxkart and improve their skills.
The tips manager manages tips. The tips are implemented in a tip.xml.
In the code, tips manager are used to get tipset. A tip set is a set of tips. They have their own ID, so just use func getTipSet("the id of the tipset") to get a set of tips.
Every tipset has its own type. It can be random or queue. A random tipset will get random tips when using func getTip(), while as queue tipset will get them one-bye-one. Queued tipset can be useful when there's a need to show a guide.
Tips can also nhave their "goto". A "goto" is a button to the place/site the tips mentioned. It can be really helpful when the tips points to a website.
You may think this is totally an idea, but i have made a code for it. It's still bad and if u run it, the game will crash. If someone is interested in it, it's welcomed to join in the NeoSTK orgnaisation and contribute to the branch!.
https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/compare/master...NeoSTK:tipsManager
dumaosen

Re: Tips manager

Postby dumaosen » 10 Nov 2019, 03:15

I succeed! Succeed! No error!
So now i made a pull request https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/pull/4135.
The website and screen goto is supported, also for some other features.
---- UPDATES ----------------------------
Hooray! Everything is fully supported and just some details needs to be improved.
Last edited by dumaosen on 18 Nov 2019, 14:20, edited 3 times in total.
dumaosen

Postby jin » 12 Nov 2019, 15:51

Congratulations maosen! Cool idea! I think only showing the tip text is already good enough. Linking to website from full scree game, hmmm, not sure it is the perfect way to do it, thinking about doing it on Android...
jin

Postby dumaosen » 18 Nov 2019, 14:22

Sorry everyone. You may like the idea, but Benau and Alayan don't. I closed the PR because they say they will never ever merge it.
--------------UPDATE------------------------------
Cheer up guys! I made a simple version https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-cod ... ipsManager !
Last edited by dumaosen on 26 Nov 2019, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
dumaosen

Postby QwertyChouskie » 18 Nov 2019, 19:06

Maybe in the future, something similar but different could be cool: showing contextual tips in the loading screen, see e.g. Smash Bros for Wii U.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby dumaosen » 26 Nov 2019, 10:55

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:Maybe in the future, something similar but different could be cool: showing contextual tips in the loading screen, see e.g. Smash Bros for Wii U.

Hey im planning to make one. It isnt hard since the tips manager is completed.
dumaosen