Project dev infrastructure?

Project dev infrastructure?

Postby Julius » 16 May 2019, 18:54

With the changes in team leadership maybe it is also time to discuss the development infrastructure?

As the probably most active project here on freegamedev.net we would of course like to keep supporting you, and as we are currently piloting various services, my question would be if you are interested in some of them?

As far as I can tell you are currently using Github as the source repository, and Discord/IRC for team chat?
Then there is of course this forum and your website with blogger.com blog.

We now have a git repository on git.freegamedev.net that you could migrate or mirror the code on.

We also have a Mattermost based team chat at chat.freegamedev.net that has very nice integrations (See: https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-plugin-github ) and which we can also bridge to your Discord and IRC chats (via Matterbridge). And we also have a linked XMPP / Jabber server at xmpp.freegamedev.net

In addition we have a Trello like Kanban board in testing, using Kanboard at kanboard.freegamedev.net (also features Github / Gitea and Mattermost etc integrations).

And last but not least we could open a Flarum based hosted forum at community.freegamedev.net that is a bit more modern that these forums...but we can't easily transfer user accounts sadly.

Oh and there is of course also the Mastodon & GnuSocial compatible microblogging Hubzilla installation at social.freegamedev.net

Other things in the pipeline might be a weblate or pootle based translation service.

So let me know if there is anything of these that you are interested in using, or what else we can help you with hosting :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Project dev infrastructure?

Postby Alayan » 17 May 2019, 02:55

Hello,

We are happy enough with these forums (though it's true that they are dated in someway), but currently don't plan on changing the the infrastructure.

Julius {l Wrote}:We now have a git repository on git.freegamedev.net that you could migrate or mirror the code on.

The burden of migration, and the additional overhead for occasional contributors, makes it not attractive. For now, despite GitHub being a proprietary platform, is serving us well.

If mirroring can be done without much burden, it could be nice.

Julius {l Wrote}:We also have a Mattermost based team chat at chat.freegamedev.net that has very nice integrations (See: https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-plugin-github ) and which we can also bridge to your Discord and IRC chats (via Matterbridge). And we also have a linked XMPP / Jabber server at xmpp.freegamedev.net

I see no reason to abandon the IRC or the discord, but if you can bridge so messages are shared between platforms, then why not. A IRC-discord bridge was created recently.

Julius {l Wrote}:Oh and there is of course also the Mastodon & GnuSocial compatible microblogging Hubzilla installation at social.freegamedev.net

We don't like blogger (it's hosted by google, and it's limited in many way) but if we change the blog, it would be to host this on the supertuxkart.net website directly.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby Julius » 17 May 2019, 10:13

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Mirroring the git is easy, but if you are not planning to use it, than no real need I guess (and our server capacity is somewhat limited).

You already have a IRC to Discord bridge? There are some nice ones for sure. The advantage of Matterbridge is mainly that it can also link to other services very easily. But for setting it up I would need some help from your side to create a bot user in Discord which can relay the messages.

The process is explained here:
https://github.com/42wim/matterbridge/w ... -bot-setup

If you have any other suggestions, let us know :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 20 May 2019, 10:37

Other things in the pipeline might be a weblate or pootle based translation service.

:heart:
The sooner the proprietary Transifex is dumped, the better. :) So, I'm glad to hear this.
Wuzzy

Postby GunChleoc » 22 May 2019, 19:24

Since there is a hosted weblate already available, maybe a pootle?
GunChleoc

Postby Julius » 22 May 2019, 19:35

Is there any advantage of pootle over weblate? I see that Weblate supports various git integrations which would be a real time saver, otherwise they seem quite similar and both are Python based (and thus rather RAM hungry it seems).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 22 May 2019, 19:44

The advantage would be that there would be a hosted Pootle available so that we have some variety and people can pick what they prefer. Features are similar to Weblate I guess. The Pootle folks are also the authors of the excellent Translate Toolkit, so the visibility would do them some good to maybe interest people with helping.

Seems like one needs to write one's own scripts for integration: http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects ... ng-strings I could drop an e-mail to the Pootle developers or to somebody at Mozilla that used work with their Pootle server if we need help.
GunChleoc