Low FPS online with many players near me

Low FPS online with many players near me

Postby eltomito » 08 May 2019, 22:54

I noticed that when there's a lot of players online, then the more of them are near me, the lower FPS I get. In fact, I can tell that somebody's closing up on me from behind by the game getting jerky. It seems that it's worse in more complicated tracks (Cocoa Temple, for example) but it shows even in The Old Mine and others. It never happens in offline games. Does this affect anyone else?
eltomito

Re: Low FPS online with many players near me

Postby benau » 09 May 2019, 02:25

You can avoid low fps by:
Don't play with high ping server (including people with high ping), also some bad server if overloaded they will "lag" everybody else
Don't play with > 10 players
Avoid complex tracks
benau
STK Moderator

Postby eltomito » 09 May 2019, 21:01

benau {l Wrote}:You can avoid low fps by:
[...]
Avoid complex tracks

Damn, you're right. It only happens in the complicated tracks and it apparently only happens to me, so it must be my slow computer. Hmmm....
eltomito

Postby tempAnon093 » 10 May 2019, 00:46

eltomito {l Wrote}:Damn, you're right. It only happens in the complicated tracks and it apparently only happens to me, so it must be my slow computer. Hmmm....

I have heard that the networking code does add a lot more processing, so that makes sense that it only happens online. It might be worth lowering graphics settings or (like you said) avoiding complex tracks.
It's similar to how I am trying to make a list of tracks that are easier to play with a laggy connection (eg. Black Forest is a beautiful map and I love it, but the narrow roads in some sections are nearly impossible to drive with extreme lag, while Cornfield Crossing and Abyss have smooth, wide track the whole way so turning 300ms too early or late doesn't matter as much)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093