Different configuration for identical gamepads in STK 0.7

Different configuration for identical gamepads in STK 0.7

Postby jixbix » 20 Feb 2011, 10:24

Hello,

I posted for the first time on this forum not very long ago because I had this problem.
To be more precise, the exact problem is :
- I bought 4 identical gamepads (exclusively to play STK with my brothers, yes),
- in STK 0.7, they are recognized as the same type of gamepads (normal),
→ We do not have the same way to configure our gamepad, and in this version there is only ONE configuration possible for all the identical gamepads...

→ More problematic : a friend bought 2 gamepadsdifferents from mines, and they are recognized as the same. As a consequence, buttons are not in the same place on his gamepads, so it's an unplayable configuration and we can't change that...

I found a temporary solution, so I decided it could help people to explain how I did.
(solution tested and approved that night !)

Thirst I installed the software qjoypad. It enables to virtualize gamepads buttons as if they were keystrokes.
( NB : qjoypad needs the install of libqt4-dev !)

By this way, I disabled gamepads in STK, and then add a keyboard config for each gamepad (when you press a button, the game see it as a keystroke).

And now each player can config his gamepad as he want !

I don't know if somebody has a better solution, or if it is going to be solved in a next STK version ?

I hope my post is understandable, I'm french so it's not very easy for me to write here !
I also hope I could have help somebody, in that case, let me know !

See you !

JB

PS : and thanks to all the STK dvt team for this crazy game !
jixbix

Re: Different configuration for identical gamepads in STK 0.7

Postby Auria » 20 Feb 2011, 15:06

Hi,

thanks for the explanation. That two different gamepad models are recognized as the same is surprising to me, and unexpected; do they both have the same name?

In any case, I am not opposed to adding this feature to STK, I just wonder how to make it appear in the GUI; I do not wish to make all similar gamepads independent by default, since usually the same config for all will be fine
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby jixbix » 21 Feb 2011, 13:06

Hello !

Thanks for your answer !
I don't know if they have the same name. I'll try it again and tell it to you as soon as possible.
A solution could be to show all gamepads and add a button "Config all gamepads like this one" near the name of the first gamepad ?
joy 1 | Config all gamepads like this one
joy 2
joy 3

It's only a suggestion. I also think the way it was in the 0.6.2.1 was well.
(As I remember, after configuring the first gamepad, we just had to push 1 button on others to configure them the same way ; then we were also able to config them differently).

In a completely different subject, my friends asked me if it will be possible in the future to choose the item's type to be in the blue boxes.
May be too difficult to implement ?

Thank you one more time for this game !

JB
jixbix

Postby Auria » 21 Feb 2011, 15:52

What exactly do you mean by "choose the item's type to be in the blue boxes" ?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Crendgrim » 21 Feb 2011, 16:33

Auria:
I think he means the bonus boxes. So, he wants to know whether it will be possible to select which bonus he gets.

jixbix:
I don't hope so. The randomization of it is really nice. A feature of STK's would disappear: Now you have to manage to avoid other boxes if you want to keep a certain bonus item. Then, you'll just be able to throw it away and get it again.
Besides, the first player will be much more in an invincible position, because he can choose only things he can make use of (and as the first one, you're always able to grab bonuses).
So, in conclusion, to throw in my two cents: I think it would be a very bad idea.

Crend
Crendgrim

Postby jixbix » 05 Mar 2011, 10:29

Hello

Yes, I spoke of the bonus boxes.

Crendgrim, I understand your point of view. In fact that was not exactly what I meaned.
I agree with you on the fact that the randomization is essential for a race.

My proposition is, particularly in the mode "fight" (I don't know the name in English, for Frenchies it's "Combat 3 prises") to have
the possibility to choose (in option) what will be in the bonus boxes.

For example : in the stadium, I want all the bonus boxes to contain bowling-balls, or only cakes.

Such as "Time to cook !" or "Bowling night !" options (witch could be unlocked in the "Challenges" (in french "Défi") section, and that you could check by clicking on a "Customize" button.

I hope you will understand me in spite of my poor english !

See you !
jixbix

Postby Auria » 05 Mar 2011, 17:30

Hi,

such a special mode could be indeed interesting, but you will probably understand it's low priority :)
Auria
STK Moderator