Should the game start with a Grand Prix already unlocked?

Should the first Grand Prix be unlocked by default?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 7

Should the game start with a Grand Prix already unlocked?

Postby tempAnon093 » 02 Feb 2019, 12:23

From memory, STK 0.9.3 starts with a small number of tracks unlocked, which would have to be unlocked through Story Mode. However, none of the Grand Prix sets were unlocked.
I think that every single game type and mode should have at least one option unlocked by default. For example, if someone wanted to download the game onto a friend's computer to demonstrate STK, they may not want to have to go through story mode or the add-on store before jumping straight into a series of races.
Do you think STK should start with at least one Grand Prix already unlocked?

PS. I guess a cheat to unlock all inbuilt levels could be useful for that scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if one already existed as a dev tool.
tempAnon093

Re: Should the game start with a Grand Prix already unlocked

Postby Random Paradox » 03 Feb 2019, 01:39

There is a way to do that. I forgot how, but you can unlock all levels immediately. If you want a grand prix immediately, you can use the grand prix editor at the bottom of the main menu to quickly make one.
Why are you looking at my signature instead of my post? View my post instead of my signature!
Random Paradox

Re: Should the game start with a Grand Prix already unlocked

Postby theTomasPat » 03 Feb 2019, 02:07

There is a value you can change in your config.xml file called "unlock_everything". If you set the value to 1 it will unlock everything except the last race. If you set it to 2 it will unlock everything in the game.

You can find the config file in a couple places, depending on your system.
Win: %APPDATA%/supertuxkart/<version#>/
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/supertuxkart/<version#>/
Linux: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/supertuxkart/<version#>/
or ~/.config/supertuxkart/<version#>/

I got those paths from the FAQ page https://supertuxkart.net/FAQ. It looks like it's pretty old so I don't know for sure of those paths are correct but I can vouch for the Mac path.

As for making a Grand Prix unlocked by default, I don't have a say in it. Maybe one of the devs can talk about it!
theTomasPat