Touch Control Sensitivity

Touch Control Sensitivity

Postby eltomito » 07 Jan 2019, 10:46

Hi!

I think you should set the default X sensitivity for touch devices to 5 instead of 10.

I was experimenting with it yesterday, because XR591 was really annoying to drive with the default control settings on my Android phone. The steering wheel always felt sort of laggy but it showed the most on this track, because there's a lot of twisting turns. With sensitivity = 10, I ended up last racing against SuperTux AI most of the time. When I set it to 6, Iimmediately finished second, third, third, second on the first four successive race. Then I tried going even lower and set it to 2. It felt really great but I started losing most of the races again. I guess the steering wheel got too jittery. But the feeling was great, so I tried 5 instead of the fantastic 6 and it was perfect.
eltomito

Re: Touch Control Sensitivity

Postby deve » 07 Jan 2019, 13:26

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

In current git version you may feel it a bit "laggy", because now we smooth turning left/right. It was needed for better gamepad behavior and for more fair online playing. But it's IMO good for touch controls too - now it's a bit less sensitive and it's easier to drive straight and turn left/right a little.

And also some time ago I changed default left/right sensitivity from 10 to 25. It's because there was very little space where you could "fully" turn, especially in left side where we have edge of the screen. Also on a tablet you could have impression that you are fully turning while it wasn't actually "fully".

Tbh. I think that you won't see much difference between 5 and 10 sensitivity and it's just a case. And I wonder what if you increase buttons size? I play with buttons size 160 on a 4.3" phone but in this case there is no space for minimap.

And maybe I should use default sensitivity 25 only for tablets and keep 10 for phones.
deve

Postby eltomito » 07 Jan 2019, 15:01

deve {l Wrote}:In current git version you may feel it a bit "laggy", because now we smooth turning left/right. It was needed for better gamepad behavior and for more fair online playing. But it's IMO good for touch controls too - now it's a bit less sensitive and it's easier to drive straight and turn left/right a little.

I'm using the apk from 2018-12-25. Does is have these things in it already?

deve {l Wrote}:And also some time ago I changed default left/right sensitivity from 10 to 25. It's because there was very little space where you could "fully" turn, especially in left side where we have edge of the screen. Also on a tablet you could have impression that you are fully turning while it wasn't actually "fully".

Tbh. I think that you won't see much difference between 5 and 10 sensitivity and it's just a case. And I wonder what if you increase buttons size? I play with buttons size 160 on a 4.3" phone but in this case there is no space for minimap.

And maybe I should use default sensitivity 25 only for tablets and keep 10 for phones.

I use scaling = 130, my phone is 5.5".
Is the effect of the sensitivity values affected by the scaling?
And what does the X sensitivity actually mean?
Because if I use X sensitivity = 25 like you say, the steering is so laggy the game is pretty much unplayable. (I just checked)

I know it's a bit of a pain to implement but wouldn't it be worth setting the size of the steering wheel in real-world units, e.g. millimeters?
Because the size of people's thumbs don't change so much depending on their screen size :)
eltomito

Postby deve » 07 Jan 2019, 21:13

Yes, the version from 25 Dec already has these modifications.

Large buttons should be more comfortable to play.

The higher sensitivity, the smaller distance you have to move your finger on a button for turning fully left/right. And no idea why 25 is more laggy for you :(

And for real world units, default touch device scale already depends on screen size:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
    // Set multitouch device scale depending on actual screen size
    int32_t screen_size = AConfiguration_getScreenSize(global_android_app->config);

switch (screen_size)
    {
    case ACONFIGURATION_SCREENSIZE_SMALL:
    case ACONFIGURATION_SCREENSIZE_NORMAL:
        UserConfigParams::m_multitouch_scale = 1.3f;
        break;
    case ACONFIGURATION_SCREENSIZE_LARGE:
        UserConfigParams::m_multitouch_scale = 1.2f;
        break;
    case ACONFIGURATION_SCREENSIZE_XLARGE:
        UserConfigParams::m_multitouch_scale = 1.1f;
        break;
    default:
        break;
    }

Atm. it uses different settings for phones, 7" tablets and 10" tablets. It's possible to get information about pixels density too, but it's atm. unused.
deve