Let's improve karts (Contributors welcome)

Let's improve karts (Contributors welcome)

Postby samuncle » 24 Jan 2017, 03:50

Hi everyone

We are preparing SuperTuxKart for a major event and we are cleaning a lot of small details.
A few minor improvement have been made regarding karts:

1) Exhaust smoke: Before the exhaust pipe was only active when nitro was used. Now all karts emit smoke
2) Day/Night Notion: Now track can have a parameter that specify they are set during night time, this activate a few things
3) Karts can have now glowing headlight during night time races. The kart driven by the player has also a point light

Here is an example of kart with headlight:
C20p7WvXEAEzfB-.jpg

To use the new feature it's very easy. Light emitter are added automatically to karts during night time. The lens flare effect is made with a separate object that mask the headlight and is shown only during night time.
kart.jpg

The headlight object must have a texture that is already included in Supertuxkart media-repository/textures/gfx. The front headlight has gfxGlow_blue_a.png and the back gfxGlow_red_a.png. No need to add your own textures.

Now we need your help because ideally all karts (except gnu) should have front and back headlight + some sort of exhaust pipe. So if you are motivated please help us and improve the karts.
If all karts have front/back headlight in 3D model I can then add the lensflare effect

I created a ticket to overview the whole task here

Thanks for your collaboration

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: Let's improve karts (Contributors welcome)

Postby jymis » 05 Feb 2017, 22:18

Sara the racer, done, committed
(i wanted to edit the task on github but it seems i don't have rights to do it)

as Xue, we really should animate the light, because it's more visible on Sara…
jymis

Postby PauloBrazil » 23 Feb 2017, 17:00

STK also needs animation

- blink the eyes.
- Move your eyes.
- Move your head slightly to one side and the other.
- And other simple animations that makes all the difference for kids...
PauloBrazil

Postby zequinha » 19 Mar 2017, 17:07

Where do we download the .blend files of the Karts?

I am using windows and I don't think I can use svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/supertuxkart/code/media/trunk stk-media-repo...
zequinha

Postby GunChleoc » 19 Mar 2017, 18:06

It's possible to use SVN on Windows, for example with this GUI: https://tortoisesvn.net/
GunChleoc

Postby zequinha » 20 Mar 2017, 12:54

Thanks GunChleoc.

Is there any other (easier) way to download the STK blender models on windows without using SVN? I am a bit of a noob in computing
zequinha

Postby Akien » 20 Mar 2017, 13:13

You can try to download the generated tarball of the repository: https://sourceforge.net/p/supertuxkart/ ... stk-assets

But from my experience with SourceForge, on a big repo it will almost always fail to generate the snapshot or to download it. TortoiseSVN is not that hard to use, so it shouldn't be a problem even if you are not familiar with SVN.
Akien

Postby GunChleoc » 20 Mar 2017, 14:54

All you need to do is right-click on a folder and select "SVN Checkout..." from the context menu, then paste the link.

If you copy the link first, TortoiseSVN will even paste it for you :)

svn.png

Then hit "OK" and get yourself a cafézinho or two... no need to bother about all those settings.
GunChleoc