Hello world, long time no see

Hello world, long time no see

Postby samuncle » 05 May 2024, 22:55

Hi, how are things going?

I started a few months ago to work on "Oil Rush" (temporary name) a new map to replace Hacienda (I have read its now old which made me a bit nostalgic since its my first contribution to the game). Oil rush itself is based on the historical canyon track (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-AphsO_0uc)

For now I just have a very basic screenshot :)

supertuxkart-canyon.jpg

It is still heavy WIP and will require to slightly change the code (to have longer shadows so that weird clipping will not happen due to the large draw distance and the lack of vegetation because its in a desert.

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: Hello world, long time no see

Postby Alayan » 06 May 2024, 01:36

I'll be honest, I doubted a lot you would come back at all, even on a temporary basis. I'm beyond thrilled to get news of you. Hope you are doing well.

The most incredible thing is that I've been back to working on STK for 7 months, and I only first tried to contact you one hour before you posted this. If you check your email associated to your sourceforge account (if you still have access to it), you should see that. Or maybe you actually saw it, I don't know.

Regarding Hacienda, we remembered that you had a graphically updated version on the works at one point. For the next major update, we were mostly considering a graphical update, although replacing it was not out of question.

Ce serait bien qu'on se parle. Il y a beaucoup de choses qui mériteraient d'être discutées. Fais moi savoir (par PM ou par email) où on pourrait avoir cette discussion.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby Haenschen » 06 May 2024, 03:46

We've never met, but I can say that your tracks (ravenbridge and cocoa :kiss: ) made me fall in love with STK! Very exciting to read that you are working on a new track. And the timing couldn't be better, considering the recent resurgence in dev efforts.
Haenschen

Postby samuncle » 06 May 2024, 09:14

Haenschen {l Wrote}:We've never met, but I can say that your tracks (ravenbridge and cocoa :kiss: ) made me fall in love with STK! Very exciting to read that you are working on a new track. And the timing couldn't be better, considering the recent resurgence in dev efforts.

I feel deeply honored by your words, I wanted with Cocoa Temple to show that free and open source game can also have descent graphics :)
Those map where quite challenging to do almost 10 years ago especially with embedded GPU on laptop that were crappy.

A few months ago I wanted to play the game again and I admit, after all those years I had a trip down the memory lane, re-downloading the game, building the source code and trying out a few things.

Ce serait bien qu'on se parle. Il y a beaucoup de choses qui mériteraient d'être discutées. Fais moi savoir (par PM ou par email) où on pourrait avoir cette discussion.

J'ai bien reçu ton mail et vu que j'avais recommencé à faire une map j'ai décidé de poster ici. Si tu veux, j'ai signal tu peux m'envoyer ton "username". C’est le plus simple et je n'ai pas whatsapp.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Polo10 » 06 May 2024, 10:58

Hello Samuncle,
I'm like Haen really really really really really happy of your return. I love your work for STK. Thanks to be back again ! Just thanks.
Polo10

Postby Alayan » 06 May 2024, 12:05

samuncle {l Wrote}:J'ai bien reçu ton mail et vu que j'avais recommencé à faire une map j'ai décidé de poster ici.

Donc ce n'était pas vraiment une coïncidence que tu te manifestes aussi promptement après mon message. :)

samuncle {l Wrote}:Si tu veux, j'ai signal tu peux m'envoyer ton "username". C’est le plus simple et je n'ai pas whatsapp.

Je t'ai envoyé un email.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 06 May 2024, 13:42

Hi Samuncle, really nice to hear from you!

I'm looking forward to see more of your new track :)
(and if you want to take a look at them, I'm also interested of what you think about the tracks I'm currently working on ;) )

I made these 2 cactus plants for a track a while back, maybe you want to use them here.
wild_west_cactus.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3fji8hxo ... nzqlo&dl=0
They come with some color variations already.

Sven
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby samuncle » 06 May 2024, 22:01

Hey do you also have the water tower and the other "western" building?
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 07 May 2024, 08:18

Yes I can send them tomorrow.
I modelled six buildings already, originally for this track:
https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 18&t=19440

A hotel, a bank, a church, a store, and two houses.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby dumaosen » 08 May 2024, 14:16

Hello, long time no see
dumaosen

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 13 May 2024, 15:49

samuncle {l Wrote}:Hey do you also have the water tower and the other "western" building?

Here you go:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jwbc7a5k ... ehp3r&dl=0
SvenAndreasBelting