Nolok race too easy for a boss ?

Nolok race too easy for a boss ?

Postby rubberduck » 27 Mar 2023, 12:20

It feels like the boss race against nolok is really too easy, I got him on the highest difficulty on the second try (in the first try I was so stupid to drive against the wall, and a bubblegum did the rest)
for me even the ghost race against suzanne in cocoa temple was much harder, this is actually the only race I finished at medium difficulty, which also feels a bit more difficult than the other normal races.

I would suggest to make him a bit faster, at least in the boss race, maybe make him using his hammer and bubblegum a bit more often, even make him put it down directly as a trap sometimes, I got him 6 times in a row, in the supertux difficulty, partly with a longer distance. I think on the other side the problem is, that he falls too often from that narrow part into the lava. 2 times I was in the goal and he was maybe just at the beginning of the castle.
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Re: Nolok race too easy for a boss ?

Postby tempAnon093 » 27 Mar 2023, 23:08

rubberduck {l Wrote}:for me even the ghost race against suzanne in cocoa temple was much harder, this is actually the only race I finished at medium difficulty, which also feels a bit more difficult than the other normal races

Yeah, the Cocoa Temple time-trial on Expert is notoriously hard. [thread]

There is a new track for the boss level being made by Sven [thread] so this might change it, but yes I do think Nolok is too easy, at least for Expert and SuperTux. Sometimes Nolok doesn't even use a cheat power-up at the start, always starting with a hammer would be a good way to make it a little bit harder to win (especially on the new map where there aren't power-ups near the start to take Nolok down with)

Another possible improvement would be to enhance the cheats (like nitro or zippers) when you are in front of Nolok, so if you hit them early with a bowling ball then it won't just be a boring victory for three laps.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Nolok race too easy for a boss ?

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 28 Mar 2023, 18:36

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:There is a new track for the boss level being made by Sven [thread] so this might change it, but yes I do think Nolok is too easy, at least for Expert and SuperTux. Sometimes Nolok doesn't even use a cheat power-up at the start, always starting with a hammer would be a good way to make it a little bit harder to win (especially on the new map where there aren't power-ups near the start to take Nolok down with)

Another possible improvement would be to enhance the cheats (like nitro or zippers) when you are in front of Nolok, so if you hit them early with a bowling ball then it won't just be a boring victory for three laps.

I've already tested how my track works for the final race against Nolok, and it's not really an improvement. The AI is generally doing rather bad on my New Fortmagma track, partly because there is not a single part were the AI drifts.

I would prefer to not only use "cheats" to make the final race harder, but it's defenitly a better solution than having a race that feels way too easy.

I remember there beeing plans to improve the AI for the 2.0 release, I think mostly Alayan was working on that, not sure if that's still planned for 2.0 since he hasn't been active for a while now.
SvenAndreasBelting