stk on kde stops Kwin Scripts

stk on kde stops Kwin Scripts

Postby caravanlizzy » 30 Nov 2022, 17:42

Whenever i start Supertuxkart on Linux Debian (Bullseye currently) KDE desktop, i get some global interface changes which to me appears to effect KwinScripts. Maybe there is more that is affected, cannot say for sure. Is there anyone else with a similiar issue?
caravanlizzy

Re: stk on kde stops Kwin Scripts

Postby bzt » 03 Dec 2022, 16:05

Since nobody answered, I'll try to help, although I don't use neither debian nor KDE.

First, debian uses a very strict release policy, which means you're probably running ancient versions of both STK and KDE. It could very well be that your issue has already been fixed, it's just debian isn't shipping the latest versions. Try dist-upgrading to sid, which contains newer versions of the packages (don't let the name frighten you, it isn't unstable at all.) Alternatively do what I did, ditch debian and switch to a rolling release distro. As far as I know, Fedora, Manjaro and openSUSE Tumbleweed all ships KDE out-of-the-box.

Second, try ditching KDE. It is a bloated and resource heavy monster, but it could be hard to find an alternative that suits all of your needs. I won't recommend anything instead, because choosing a desktop environment is mostly a choice of personal taste (FYI I don't use any DE either, I've created my own .xsessionrc to run a compositor and a minimal wm and that's it).

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby caravanlizzy » 28 Feb 2023, 13:59

thanks! Not happy wiht debians release cycles either. on other machines i do use different stuff. Not sure i agree on your opinion on KDE, but there are enough other places to fihgt that out. im also a big fan of herbstluftwm/qtile with compositors, so i do unterstand your point. have a good one.
caravanlizzy

Postby caravanlizzy » 19 Mar 2023, 21:37

I did install stk on another machine using lxqt with kwin (most recent in the arch repos) as a window manager. this is not an issues being fixed with a recent plasma update.
what happens when i run stk is that all animations are disabled. on top, any window borders/shadows are disabled. very basic, old looking styles remain. maybe there is some interaction between stk and the kwin compositor?
caravanlizzy

Postby QwertyChouskie » 14 Apr 2023, 22:02

caravanlizzy {l Wrote}:I did install stk on another machine using lxqt with kwin (most recent in the arch repos) as a window manager. this is not an issues being fixed with a recent plasma update.
what happens when i run stk is that all animations are disabled. on top, any window borders/shadows are disabled. very basic, old looking styles remain. maybe there is some interaction between stk and the kwin compositor?

As far as I understand, Kwin disables compositing any time there's a full screen application. This is a Kwin issue, not an STK issue. (e.g. Gnome doesn't have this issue).
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby MRM5686 » 15 Apr 2023, 23:41

I am running Kubuntu (That is Ubuntu with KDE desktop and goodies for all you corporate Windblows people who don't know. :lol: ) It and it runs great, with no issue...

As I recall QwertyChouskie is correct, things get disabled while in full screen, including desktop effects..

It might help to set your STK to the proper screen resolution to match your computer screen resolution.
MRM5686