Migrating computers + STK

Migrating computers + STK

Postby clara » 15 Jan 2022, 15:29

I've had the same version of SuperTuxKart 0.6.2 (with my highscores and everything) for the past 5 years now. I've since moved computers and taken STK with me, but unfortunately I noticed a few graphical glitches I'm not sure how to fix, such as the background in some tracks being white and missing their actual backgrounds. This has gotten me thinking, what if there are more errors like this I haven't noticed that have been caused by copying the game from my old computer to the new one? There has to be a way where if I decide to move to another computer down the line I wouldn't have to copy the entire game, right?

For example, if I move computers I would only have to copy the highscore data and the unlocked challenges, then download a fresh new version of STK 0.6.2 from SourceForge and paste the old highscore and unlocked challenge data into it.

How would I be able to do that? Asking people who know where these files are located and if they break anything if I do it with the proposed method above.
clara

Re: Migrating computers + STK

Postby benau » 15 Jan 2022, 16:45

More likely is that your (very!) old version of STK is not compatible with new computer Image
benau
STK Moderator

Postby clara » 15 Jan 2022, 17:51

No, I downloaded it again from SourceForge and the graphics are where they're supposed to be. The issue is with the version I copied from my old computer.
clara

Postby eltomito » 21 Jan 2022, 00:51

clara {l Wrote}:No, I downloaded it again from SourceForge and the graphics are where they're supposed to be. The issue is with the version I copied from my old computer.

You could try using the version of STK that works for you and copying the high scores and stuff from your old version into it.
I don''t know where the hiscores are in version 0.6.2 or whether you're using Windows or Linux
but recent versions (1.0+) put high scores in ~/.config/supertuxkart/highscore.xml on Linux.
eltomito