Powerup changes for STK 2.0

Re: Powerup changes for STK 2.0

Postby LenAlyssa » 25 Feb 2020, 09:53

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
Interesting! What would this item look like?

It's important to note that SuperTuxKart is not a clone game and so we do not try to implement things only because they exist in Mario Kart or a similar game, so don't just make it look and act like the Mario star Feel free to be more creative with it

Thanks for your answer!
We're actually thinking about a shield around the kart and a speed animation.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Another potential idea for a powerup item: something that shoots two short rays out at once (30 degrees left and 30 degrees right). It would probably be an item for a player need the middle or rear.

That so interesting! So we're trying to find a way to replace the shield with the two short rays, we're gonna do our best !
LenAlyssa

Postby LenAlyssa » 02 Mar 2020, 10:45

Hello !
I replayed next week but it seems that my message wasn't submitted so,
tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
Interesting! What would this item look like?

It's important to note that SuperTuxKart is not a clone game and so we do not try to implement things only because they exist in Mario Kart or a similar game, so don't just make it look and act like the Mario star Feel free to be more creative with it

Thanks for your answer!
We're actually thinking about a shield around the kart and a speed animation.

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:Another potential idea for a powerup item: something that shoots two short rays out at once (30 degrees left and 30 degrees right). It would probably be an item for a player need the middle or rear.

We were talking about this idea lately and and it's a really good one, we're interesting to do it and make a invincible kart for a short time (speed and rays ) and as you said it would be for the middle and rear players.

Best regards!
LenAlyssa

Postby kimden » 02 Mar 2020, 12:18

The message was submitted, it's just on the second page. Navigation is a bit confusing here, yes.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby Alayan » 15 Aug 2020, 23:41

So we still don't have a clear candidate for speed+defense compound. My old idea a few years back was themed with an electric-field that would activate an electric side-engine for faster acceleration and slightly higher top speed ; while also activating a cool-shaped protective layer around the kart. But I can't make the 3D art part myself.

LenAlyssa has been speaking about a team working on some bonus item idea, but some concrete code/art is needed for a direct contribution.

As for the earlier discussion about decision-making, democracy doesn't work for game design. This very thread was opened to gather suggestions and feedback, to discuss possibilities. But the final call can't be left to a vote.
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby forum » 17 Aug 2020, 20:46

Could players get poeerups for performing certain "stunts"? I think about Riptide GP and Beach Buggy Racing (a combination of both) from Vector Unit. Too complex? OT here?

Could powerups depend on the setting of the track? E.g. on a snowy track, snowballs (as powerups) could be thrown. Effects could be limiting the other players' view and making their karts skid. Maybe they in turn could get nonskid chains, spikes on the wheels, an umbrella, or something like this for defence. In a more desert-like or dry setting, maybe cans of water could be of benefit. I am not sure in which way and if rather for the drivers than for the karts. Would it be possible to give the drivers some kind of benefits, or can we rather only talk about the karts? If the drivers are also subject to influences by powerups, then maybe their field of vision could be enhanced (field glasses).

BTW, my kids (and I) frequently play STK (offline, though). And if I am allowed to add, the second most wanted any played game is Beach Buggy Racing (commercial, and we also play this only offline). Copying dig 3 from other games might neither be wanted nor feasible, but maybe there could be some inspiration.
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby forum » 20 Aug 2020, 21:37

You might find this project inspiring:
https://rvgl.re-volt.io/

Specifically, this might be of interest about powerups:
https://files.re-volt.io/manuals/manual_pc_eng.pdf

(see pages 11+12 for the "pick ups", as they are called there)
Best regards, 7wells
forum

Postby Alayan » 06 Sep 2021, 21:41

Bumping this for visibility.

Mimiz made some suggestions on the discord that belong to this discussion:
cake: triple the radius damage, remove the target ability
plunger: when shot backwards removes the item to the target
charger: increase the speed by a little bit for 7 seconds, if you bump someone you lose the boost and the rival gets stunned
trap: an object with similar properties of a FIB
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby tux_peng » 22 Sep 2021, 02:47

cake: triple the radius damage, remove the target ability
plunger: when shot backward removes the item to the target
I vote for keeping the cake target seeking, but change it to be more like the plunger- random bits of frosting should display on your screen, instead of completely obscuring your view.
charger: increase the speed by a little bit for 7 seconds, if you bump someone you lose the boost and the rival gets stunned
I like this one
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng