Ideas to implement in STK

Re: Ideas to implement in STK

Postby kimden » 22 Jul 2021, 11:22

It is easy to cake if the target does nothing against being hit - the cake flies towards the predicted position of target at the moment of cake landing, but with enough distance and extra movement one can avoid a sufficient number of cakes.
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby puzlanchik » 23 Jul 2021, 13:50

Proposal 1: Change the color of the gift boxes.
Gift boxes and bowling balls are very similar in color and it is difficult for people with poor eyesight to differentiate between them. I think it would be nice to change the color of the gift boxes to something else, maybe turquoise with a gold ribbon.

Yeah, i do agree.
puzlanchik

Postby eltomito » 23 Jul 2021, 19:12

puzlanchik {l Wrote}:
Proposal 1: Change the color of the gift boxes.
Gift boxes and bowling balls are very similar in color and it is difficult for people with poor eyesight to differentiate between them. I think it would be nice to change the color of the gift boxes to something else, maybe turquoise with a gold ribbon.

Yeah, i do agree.

What about pink-gold stripes? (example here: https://img1.etsystatic.com/068/0/77465 ... 7_f7ed.jpg)

1) It will be distinguishable even for people who are color blind
2) it'll look like there might be a cake inside :) (I think these are the stereotypical cake box colors, aren't they?)
eltomito

Postby puzlanchik » 24 Jul 2021, 21:52

eltomito {l Wrote}:What about pink-gold stripes? (example here: https://img1.etsystatic.com/068/0/77465 ... 7_f7ed.jpg)

Yeah, cool!
puzlanchik

Postby tempAnon093 » 06 Aug 2021, 02:21

I think it would be good for soccer mode to cycle through the player starting points for each goal (so if there are three blue players, then it won't just be one player who starts in position1, after 3 goals all 3 blue players would have started in that position once)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby eltomito » 10 Aug 2021, 21:08

I tried pink-gold stripes but they blended into brown from far away and the gift box looked like a wooden crate. So, I came up with the dotty gift box.
What do you think?

UPDATE: I submitted the asset in Contributions, so if you wanna discuss it, do it in this thread, plz: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18221
Attachments
Screenshot_dotty_gift_box.png
Dotty Gift Box texture idea
Last edited by eltomito on 11 Aug 2021, 10:16, edited 2 times in total.
eltomito

Postby tempAnon093 » 11 Aug 2021, 09:56

(Requesting you edit your post to have the link to your designated thread for this, so we don't get two conversions at once about it.)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Bird » 14 Sep 2021, 08:14

This weekend, I was having a look at the kart competition, namely Mario Kart for the Nintendo Wii. It's hyperactive nature probably gave me a PTSD. And the karts needed their detailed animations to load first, but the driving was delayed and spongy.

Now I noticed how much I enjoy the direct controls of the STK karts.

Two things were really better for Mario Kart in my opinion. The fake items, that would make a driver explode when hitting it. In STK, we have the gum for a similar sabotage, but there could be more temporary obstacles, especially for more challenge in longer races.
And the start was more user friendly. Seeing a bubble of smoke appearing, depending on how much the player accelerates at the starting line, then seeing the engine stuttering and blowing up in a cloud of dust if it was too much, just looked fantastic.

I must say, that the starting procedure in STK felt very unfriendly, when I was starting here. Having a blunt message telling you about your fault is not the same as having that graphically displayed.
Bird

Postby Bird » 17 Oct 2021, 10:15

With the new 1.3 version, Pepper the witch, riding a broom, enters the racetrack. Very unique about racing with Pepper is the drifting sound, a scratching sound rather than screeching tires.
Other characters could have unique sounds too. GIve Puffy, Beastie and Nolok the sound of an american V8. And GNU on his flying carpet may be without any engine sound at all, or if it's too confusing, just the whirling wind. It makes the virtual world more lively to be able to distinguish the different karts by their sounds.
Bird

Postby eltomito » 17 Oct 2021, 13:36

Bird {l Wrote}:And the start was more user friendly. Seeing a bubble of smoke appearing, depending on how much the player accelerates at the starting line, then seeing the engine stuttering and blowing up in a cloud of dust if it was too much, just looked fantastic.

I must say, that the starting procedure in STK felt very unfriendly, when I was starting here. Having a blunt message telling you about your fault is not the same as having that graphically displayed.

STK could put an anchor on the players that hit the gas too soon. It would make the penalty visible and I think it would be fun.
eltomito

Postby tempAnon093 » 27 Oct 2021, 01:22

Bird {l Wrote}:or if it's too confusing, just the whirling wind

This is a good idea, and maybe even a light sparkly sound on the drifts.

eltomito {l Wrote}:STK could put an anchor on the players that hit the gas too soon. It would make the penalty visible and I think it would be fun.

I like this idea, and it seems like it would be very simple to add.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Heuchi1 » 28 Oct 2021, 10:03

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:
eltomito {l Wrote}:STK could put an anchor on the players that hit the gas too soon. It would make the penalty visible and I think it would be fun.

I like this idea as well, and thought it shouldn't be hard to implement. So I gave it a try…

But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that simple: The animation (including the zoom-in effect or "scaling") of attachments (including anchors, or "anvils" as they are called in the src) uses the elapsed race time. So before the race starts no time passes and no attachment animation is done. Even if you add the anchor, you won't see it until the race starts. You can change that of course, but I see no way doing it without breaking network compatibility with <= 1.3 versions, which would still just not show the anchor.
Heuchi1

Postby eltomito » 29 Oct 2021, 22:25

Heuchi1 {l Wrote}:
tempAnon093 {l Wrote}:

I like this idea as well, and thought it shouldn't be hard to implement. So I gave it a try…

But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that simple: The animation (including the zoom-in effect or "scaling") of attachments (including anchors, or "anvils" as they are called in the src) uses the elapsed race time. So before the race starts no time passes and no attachment animation is done. Even if you add the anchor, you won't see it until the race starts. You can change that of course, but I see no way doing it without breaking network compatibility with <= 1.3 versions, which would still just not show the anchor.

That's too bad. Thanks for trying, though! I really appreciate it.

Maybe it could make it into STK 2.0. The way it could work is that you actually add the anchor handicap that works the same way it works in the game, so you can go forward but you're slowed down.
eltomito

Postby Bird » 04 Nov 2021, 21:04

Elapsed race time? Is it possible then to let the countdown start at minus 3 seconds? That problem sounds like a stupid math formula needing some correction! Although probably it's easier spoken than done...

I have another idea for STK. You see some rather cheap wins through the leader getting good items with some luck. That could be trimmed down a bit with a useless item, challenging the leader more. A self-destruct button (of course in red as Big Red Button)! On use, it blows the player himself up. BOOM!
Bird

Postby Bird » 22 Dec 2021, 12:47

It's a bit inconvenient, to have to change the kart colour before every Team GP, if you are using another colour than the normal one. What about some kind of server-side command "force team colours"?
Bird