Grand Prix online

Grand Prix online

Postby puzlanchik » 09 May 2021, 21:07

I have noticed a new game format. But did not found profound information on the forum or website.

Can you please explain me the basics? Do i need to make a pre-registration somewhere? Where can i create a team (i mean where to apply info about it?)
puzlanchik

Re: Grand Prix online

Postby eltomito » 09 May 2021, 21:20

puzlanchik {l Wrote}:I have noticed a new game format. But did not found profound information on the forum or website.
Can you please explain me the basics? Do i need to make a pre-registration somewhere? Where can i create a team (i mean where to apply info about it?)

I've done the team race once and I just happened to log into a server where it was taking place at the moment. People were logging in and out randomly throughout the tournament. Well, actually mostly new people were coming in and they just joined one of the teams and went on racing as their members.

There's a recording of that team GP (Grand Prix) on youtube with the waiting room parts edited out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQA1-T ... l=hina-dev

It worked like this: One player is the race master (there's a hammer shown next to their name in the player list in the waiting room). This player puts everyone on teams of different colors. On that particular team race, there were blue, green and yellow teams. People were talking about what team the newcomers should join to make the teams balanced.

When you race, the karts of the green team are green, etc. to let you see who is on your team. You try not to shoot your team mates, because when the race is over, the points of the team members add up. When the GP finishes after a set number of tracks, whichever team has the most points wins. That's all there's to it, as far as I know.
eltomito

Postby kimden » 09 May 2021, 21:44

A Grand Prix is, well, a series of races where players get points in each race, the better the position, the higher are points. At the end, points sum up, and whoever has more points (and less time in case of equal points), wins.

Standard GP servers are made in a specific fashion, the server hides from public after the first race starts, players cannot reenter the server or change kart (e.g. an extra ESC makes you out of the grand prix). That's actually the reason why one can see most Grand Prix servers without a race started.It has its advantages (e.g. there won't be players who join randomly for a single race and ruin the scoring system).

I modified the code so that the server is always public, players can change karts, and the scoring system can be independent of the number of players joining; recently colors and team indicators were added so team GPs became possible.

In addition to things eltomito said above: there can be several hammer people who manage the GP (I think about whether the teams should be up to players, but I am not convinced yet). You need to reset your kart's color to see your own color. You are able to shoot your teammates, despite in most cases it is not desirable for the team (but not always! :D) There are still individual and team standings, but due to server-only limitation, I can show only personal standings for those who finished in the race during the race's final screen; everything else is available and doesn't fit into the screen! using /standings.

Grands Prix can vary, sometimes there are Frankfurt 2-like servers, sometimes different powerup config is used, sometimes there is just a fixed sequence of tracks.

I was expecting people unfamiliar with the topic to find this https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17232 thread so they can know when something happens but seems like it isn't visible much...
I make servers, addons, online events, and many others things.
my page, my STK fork, my youtube channel
kimden

Postby kimden » 09 May 2021, 21:54

About the registration: you don't need to register anywhere for now. Currently I think it doesn't make sense to force to register because anyway half of registrants doesn't come (lol).

Creating a team - well, in once-per-two-weeks regular GP we try to make teams on our own so that they are more or less not overpowered and more or less different, so probably we won't put same players in the same team all the time - but players still can agree to not shoot each other even being in different teams. But we are open to different formats, if there are several pre-registered teams who wish to compete against each other and against someone else - no problem! The only thing is, we probably cannot plan something with the same teams for a long time.
kimden

Postby puzlanchik » 11 May 2021, 17:04

Thanks for your replies, will the next GP be 15th of May at 19:00 ?
puzlanchik

Postby puzlanchik » 13 May 2021, 09:55

kimden {l Wrote}:
I was expecting people unfamiliar with the topic to find this https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17232 thread so they can know when something happens but seems like it isn't visible much...

It doesn't found through "Grand Prix" search..)

How can one enable watch-only mode?
puzlanchik

Postby kimden » 13 May 2021, 14:55

Yes, the next GP is on May 15th, at 19:00 UTC and further (typically there is more than one...)
Watch-only mode can be switched by /spectate on those servers, on regular servers you need /spectate 1 to turn on and 0 to turn off. But I guess it isn't a good idea to spectate only if there are 11/12 players already playing lol
kimden

Postby puzlanchik » 14 May 2021, 22:49

kimden {l Wrote}:Yes, the next GP is on May 15th, at 19:00 UTC and further (typically there is more than one...)

What set of tracks will be tomorrow (today)? Can one change a kart during the GP?
puzlanchik

Postby FabianF » 15 May 2021, 06:53

Usually 11 tracks, chosen ingame (addons only possible if everyone has them). Kart change is possible, yes
FabianF

Postby puzlanchik » 15 May 2021, 21:05

That was cool, thanks

I think it's a good idea to post results somewhere (at least on forum) after each GP-session
puzlanchik